login

Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1809058 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #19035 on: December 08, 2017, 06:31:51 AM »
When you have to go into a lengthy explanation of the historical context of a song to show that it wasn't promoting dangerous behavior originally, yet it is now, then that song's time has passed.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #19036 on: December 08, 2017, 06:33:49 AM »
When you have to go into a lengthy explanation of the historical context of a song to show that it wasn't promoting dangerous behavior originally, yet it is now, then that song's time has passed.

so... you're saying it really should go?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19037 on: December 08, 2017, 07:37:09 AM »

so... you're saying it really should go?

But it's cold out there...

People should watch the scene in the 1949 movie Neptune's Daughter with the song and then decide about it.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 524
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19038 on: December 09, 2017, 01:02:03 AM »
3 days isn't enough time to spend with someone you love. Cried the entire way home from the airport and then cried myself to sleep. I'm glad she was here, but damn, it's hard to not have her around. My twin bed feels huge and empty.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #19039 on: December 09, 2017, 07:08:14 AM »
3 days isn't enough time to spend with someone you love. Cried the entire way home from the airport and then cried myself to sleep. I'm glad she was here, but damn, it's hard to not have her around. My twin bed feels huge and empty.

Definitely been there. It’s horrible. Spent my fare share of time crying in airport bathrooms. Eventually it got a little easier. Sorry you had to go through that.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19040 on: December 09, 2017, 10:35:44 AM »

Definitely been there. It’s horrible. Spent my fare share of time crying in airport bathrooms. Eventually it got a little easier. Sorry you had to go through that.

Oh, I cried most of the way there, the entire time I was there, and most of the way home. Keep expecting her to be in my room when I walk in. Long distance sucks...

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 582
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #19041 on: December 09, 2017, 10:38:55 AM »
I just got my Dodger Coffee Company T-Shirt, and I'm really happy because I really like Dodger ever since I first saw her on Friend Zone almost 3 years ago. She is just so damn cool and she's just awesome.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #19042 on: December 10, 2017, 07:28:46 PM »
Looking for a new Christmas Carol?

Hey, Chingedy ching, hee haw, hee haw
It's Dominick, the donkey
Chingedy ching, hee haw, hee haw
The Italian Christmas donkey

La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la, laeohda

Santa's got a little friend, his name is Dominick
The cutest little donkey, you never see him kick
When Santa visits his Paesans with Dominick he'll be
Because the reindeer cannot climb the hills of Italy

Jingle bells around his feet and presents on the sled
Hey, look at the mayor's derby on top of Dominick's head
A pair of shoes for Louie and a dress for Josephine
The label on the inside says they're made in Brooklyn

Children sing and clap their hands and Dominick starts ta dance
Dey talk Italian to him and he even understands
Gumbaros and gumbaras, da de dance a dallodale
When Zepilagola comes to town and brings oh chu-cha-lil

Hey Dominick Bouna Natale
Hee haw, hee haw

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hYlvfX3nwlc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hYlvfX3nwlc</a>
FINE

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #19043 on: December 10, 2017, 09:07:29 PM »
I know I'm a couple days late on this one, but I completely disagree that Baby Its Cold Outside could be innocent. It's clearly sexual ("Your lips look delicious"?). And she said "no" multiple times. There is no consent, and he refuses to take "no" for an answer. It is completely inappropriate regardless of #metoo, and just because that behavior was accepted in the past doesn't make it ok now or ever.

Let it die.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #19044 on: December 10, 2017, 10:27:24 PM »
I know I'm a couple days late on this one, but I completely disagree that Baby Its Cold Outside could be innocent. It's clearly sexual ("Your lips look delicious"?). And she said "no" multiple times. There is no consent, and he refuses to take "no" for an answer. It is completely inappropriate regardless of #metoo, and just because that behavior was accepted in the past doesn't make it ok now or ever.

Let it die.

I was only aware of the lyrics and such posted here, and I'd based what I wrote before just on what little I'd read here, so it wasn't as fully clear the intent of the song.  But your expansion makes it obvious.  Just with her saying "no" multiple times?  Yeah: no question it is inappropriate and should cease being played.  (Except possibly in some historical museum with a clear context of, "this is the kind of ugly shit people used to find entertaining".)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3214
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19045 on: December 10, 2017, 10:47:41 PM »
Well the implication is that she was playing hard-to-get and he was winning her over throughout the course of the song. "At least I'm gonna say that I tried."

And that's something that happens. It's also something that goes horribly wrong when it's not "Hard-to-get."

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19046 on: December 10, 2017, 11:05:10 PM »
These days it certainly doesn't hold up outside of the movie, a musical comedy based on mistaken identity, it that scene Ricardo Montalban does get a little pushy so I'm not sure it even holds up in the movie, when they do the gender flip for the other couple she is even more pushy.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/10BA4Q8m2VQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/10BA4Q8m2VQ</a>

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #19047 on: December 11, 2017, 05:00:57 AM »

Let it die.

She can get up and leave any time she wants.  Just because you pressure someone to do something doesn't mean that you take away their free will.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #19048 on: December 11, 2017, 06:56:26 AM »

Let it die.

She can get up and leave any time she wants.  Just because you pressure someone to do something doesn't mean that you take away their free will.

So it's acceptable to force someone into potentially unsafe situations as long as they have the right to choose which happens? He's pressuring her into intercourse. I know that if I stayed somewhere because the weather sucked, I'd hope not to be propositioned.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19049 on: December 11, 2017, 07:01:58 AM »

Let it die.

So it's acceptable to force someone into potentially unsafe situations as long as they have the right to choose which happens? He's pressuring her into intercourse. I know that if I stayed somewhere because the weather sucked, I'd hope not to be propositioned.

The movie takes place around a bathing suit photo shoot and polo match in a warm location, she knows it's not cold or snowing outside.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:04:27 AM by MartyS (Gromit) »