Author Topic: Completely Random Thoughts  (Read 1805538 times)

Quantum Vagina

Re: Completely Random Thoughts
« Reply #10245 on: February 26, 2014, 06:30:12 PM »
There was a guy at Xerox who could to an 11x11 one in 20 minutes. took him about 45 seconds for a 3x3

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
« Reply #10246 on: February 26, 2014, 06:35:15 PM »
There was a guy at Xerox who could to an 11x11 one in 20 minutes. took him about 45 seconds for a 3x3

I'd be happy to learn how to solve one on my own in <15 minutes on average. I think even if I could solve it at all I could trick people into thinking I'm super smart. :D (not that I'm not already in my own way but you know what I mean)  ::)

I've been doing one color at a time for a while so I figure I might as well go for the whole thing.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 06:37:59 PM by Malt Dismal »

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10247 on: February 26, 2014, 10:25:18 PM »

I'd be happy to learn how to solve one on my own in <15 minutes on average. I think even if I could solve it at all I could trick people into thinking I'm super smart. :D (not that I'm not already in my own way but you know what I mean)  ::)

I've been doing one color at a time for a while so I figure I might as well go for the whole thing.

I remember when that thing came out, I think I solved it once on my own in about a week, then got a book (it was the mid 70's after all) on how to do it. 

Wow, I may have to dig through my old books to see if I still have it.  Nothing I am seeing on the web seems like what I remember doing.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #10248 on: February 27, 2014, 01:09:32 AM »
I've met the guy in d00hickey's avatar. He's very tall.

I actually have no idea who the guy is, I just thought it was funny. While browsing the overclock.net forums I saw some random guy with it and thought it was funny so I googled the image name and found a page with a bunch of gifs that I presume are from a show on TV.

I thought you were a Tim and Eric fan.  You should check out some of their work.  Some people love it, some despise it.  I'm interested to see which you are.

I'm in the "despise" camp. Nonsensical fart humor.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
« Reply #10249 on: February 27, 2014, 04:49:01 AM »
I've met the guy in d00hickey's avatar. He's very tall.

I actually have no idea who the guy is, I just thought it was funny. While browsing the overclock.net forums I saw some random guy with it and thought it was funny so I googled the image name and found a page with a bunch of gifs that I presume are from a show on TV.

I thought you were a Tim and Eric fan.  You should check out some of their work.  Some people love it, some despise it.  I'm interested to see which you are.

I'm in the "despise" camp. Nonsensical fart humor.

It's one of my few guilty pleasures.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #10250 on: February 27, 2014, 05:19:22 AM »
This came from the wikipedia page for the 69th Academy Awards (1996 movies):

It's funny because I was looking for horrible mistakes made by the Oscars in the past.  If this were true it would trump the whole Dances With Wolves/Goodfellas thing.

See also: Forrest Gump/Pulp Fiction
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #10251 on: February 27, 2014, 05:21:01 AM »
This came from the wikipedia page for the 69th Academy Awards (1996 movies):

It's funny because I was looking for horrible mistakes made by the Oscars in the past.  If this were true it would trump the whole Dances With Wolves/Goodfellas thing.

See also: Forrest Gump/Pulp Fiction

yeah, well, you never know what you're gonna get.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #10252 on: February 27, 2014, 02:35:19 PM »
It's SHOCKING how easy it is to learn how to solve a Rubik's cube (with proper instruction). If I had the time last night, I would be fluent in cube solving already.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10253 on: February 27, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »
It's SHOCKING how easy it is to learn how to solve a Rubik's cube (with proper instruction). If I had the time last night, I would be fluent in cube solving already.

Sounds like you found the method I learned in high school (and can't possibly remember this many decades later).

Did you find it on a web site?  When I looked last night all I could find were all very complicated ways of doing it.  They are the fastest ways but not the easiest to remember....  I remember getting to the point I could solve it in a few minutes without looking at the book.

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #10254 on: February 27, 2014, 02:53:45 PM »

Sounds like you found the method I learned in high school (and can't possibly remember this many decades later).

Did you find it on a web site?  When I looked last night all I could find were all very complicated ways of doing it.  They are the fastest ways but not the easiest to remember....  I remember getting to the point I could solve it in a few minutes without looking at the book.

I don't know how to get the flash working (I've tried before) so I'll just link it.
http://youtu.be/tOgN7d1D-3s  :)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10255 on: February 27, 2014, 03:05:38 PM »

I don't know how to get the flash working (I've tried before) so I'll just link it.

Pretty sure that's the method I learned, the R, R', and 2R stuff was very familiar...

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #10256 on: February 27, 2014, 03:11:45 PM »

Pretty sure that's the method I learned, the R, R', and 2R stuff was very familiar...

I write the algorithms vertically so I can draw little arrows next to them, which makes it even easier.
Example:

R' v
D' <--
R ^
D -->

(well it's a bit harder to type but you get the idea.)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3896
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #10257 on: February 27, 2014, 04:10:02 PM »
I just do this..

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #10258 on: February 27, 2014, 06:15:57 PM »

Getting flash inserts to work is not as easy as using the 'flash button' for some reason.  At some point I copied to a txt file the code from someone who had it working properly, then saved it in an easy-to-get-to-but-not-in-the-way part of my hard drive.  This is it (with outermost brackets changed to parentheses so it still shows up in this post):

(flash=420,315]http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/<unique address identifier here>[/flash)

So for the one you linked to, it would be:

(flash=420,315]http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/tOgN7d1D-3s[/flash)

...that same line, with brackets is:
<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/tOgN7d1D-3s" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/tOgN7d1D-3s</a>

Hope that helps you and anyone else wondering why the heck flash inserts don't seem to work.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #10259 on: February 28, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
Flash flat out doesn't work when I'm connected through my VPN so if it's something I want to see I just hit the quote button and copy the URL.