Author Topic: Does Anybody Else Hate the "E/I" Children's Television Rule?  (Read 4352 times)

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1
Re: Does Anybody Else Hate the "E/I" Children's Television Rule?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 01:05:03 PM »
Actually, Cartoon Network has a lot of pretty good cartoons now..... Nickelodian on the other hand....

Detective Chimp

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 01:37:13 PM »
Hadn't the cartoon lineups degraded into nothing but  pokemon, digimon and various something-imons anyway? Good riddance.
Yeah but that happened AFTER the rule was put into place. The rule hit during the gloriou\s reign of The Tick, Eek! the Cat, Animaniacs, Freakazoid and Earthworm Jim. As soon as the rule hit, all the studios shifted their focus to educational programming and they started importing their non-educational stuff. The new shows they DID come up with were square pegs jammed into the round hole of education. This is where Prehysteria came from and what turned the Weird Al show into a somewhat lame affair. The writers were put under too many restrictions about what they could do with their educational shows.

It might even be that the rise of anime is due to the fact that they were the only shows on the air created without the restrictions...
With the advent of so many cable television channels devoted solely to cartoons, doesn't that make the Saturday morning network programming more or less obsolete? I imagine it's hard for them to compete with these channels that have superior shows on 24 hours a day. I, for one, never liked to get up at 7am to watch cartoons when I was a kid anyway.

You know, there ARE still some people who don't have cable.

Besides which, the majority of cartoons on cable find a way to suck anyway.
I pity these people.  :'(

Offline homerjayla

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • Rich in heady goodness!
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 07:26:57 PM »
A-hem..Bill Nye? whatever happened to him?

Beakman kicked his ass. :P
Global warming, where?

Kzinistzerg

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 07:49:17 PM »
Well, I dunno about you, but I spent MY childhood playing with dangerous objects. Life is better that way.

Detective Chimp

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 09:17:06 PM »
Well, I dunno about you, but I spent MY childhood playing with dangerous objects. Life is better that way.
I'm 28 and I still watch cartoons.  :'(

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2385
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2007, 12:14:03 AM »
I'm 28 and I still watch cartoons.  :'(

I'm 26 and at least 60% of my dvd shelf is animated.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2007, 01:50:33 PM »
30 and some of my most prized posessions are my Looney Tunes Golden Collections and Real Ghostbusters DVDs. :^)

Detective Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2007, 02:11:46 PM »
30 and some of my most prized posessions are my Looney Tunes Golden Collections and Real Ghostbusters DVDs. :^)
Remember the super politically correct ghostbusters cartoon? It had like a black guy, a latino guy, a woman and a guy in a wheelchair.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2385
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2007, 05:07:25 PM »
Remember the super politically correct ghostbusters cartoon? It had like a black guy, a latino guy, a woman and a guy in a wheelchair.

Don't forget that the woman was all gothy.

Actually that's about all I remember of that show, except that Egon and Jenine were the only holdovers...unless Slimer was in there and I blocked it out.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2007, 05:46:41 PM »

The Kricfalusi Mighty Mouse series of the late '80s had a great episode called "Don't Touch That Dial," where they eviscerated pretty much everything bad about Saturday-morning TV. The Real Ghostbusters was singled out for special manhandling.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline TMC1982

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 09:50:53 AM »

Don't forget that the woman was all gothy.

Actually that's about all I remember of that show, except that Egon and Jenine were the only holdovers...unless Slimer was in there and I blocked it out.

The show was called "Extreme Ghostbusters" which was distrubted by BKN. I recall that the latino guy was kind of a wannabe Bill Murray/Peter Venkman type (i.e. the flippant, smark alecky Ghostbuster).