Author Topic: A Song You Hate By a Band/Musician You Love...  (Read 6424 times)

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
Re: A Song You Hate By a Band/Musician You Love...
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2008, 10:59:35 AM »
pretty much any song on A.F.I. 's Decemberunderground.  Here you had a pretty good punk band with a distinct sound and a singer that had an awesome range, and then they go completely emo.  And the few songs that are hard and fast, Davey Havok seems to be phoning it in. 

I had a blast watching AFI evolve from their Cruise Control days to their eventual rise from the underground. They were really good. I enjoyed all of their material, but there was defintely something missing from Decemberunderground. I'm still somewhat baffled by how lifeless it is in comparison to their major-label debut (there were moments on SoS I liked quite a bit) and not going to make an attempt to bring in their rocking Nitro releases into the equation. Decemberunderground's a bummer.

...but they still gave me one of my favorite choruses of all-time in Cruise Control. It's gold and still cracks me up to this day. Their live shows were pretty snazzy too.

Back on topic, what was Weezer thinking with "This Is Such a Pity"? My mind was crying for Matt Sharp for the 733 time after hearing that song off Make Believe.
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline Blue Raja

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 1
  • Not Knifey Boy or Stab-Man.
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »
There are at least 50 songs in the Genesis oeuvre worse than that cute little ditty, which is in many ways one of the more experimental tunes on the album, together with Keep It Dark..Admittedly, most of the really bad tunes came after Abacab, so it was a bit of a low point at the time. even if they had turned out some even worse stinkers before that, like More Fool Me, Your Special Way and Alone Tonight. Afterwards there were terrible moments aplenty from Illegal Alien and Anything She Does all the way to most of We Can't Dance and every single note on Calling All Stations.

No, Who Dunnit isn't really that bad at all.

For me, the factor that makes Who Dunnit (you're right, it is 2 words... :-[) more annoying than any other bad song they've done was the REPITITION.  Had it varied a bit, or somehow had some other chords or something, it might have been made more bearable for me.  As in the case of "Submarine," it too was repititious, but I always found it kinda soothing, so I didn't mind.  I've figured out that, for myself, there's a good kind of repitition and a bad kind.  Who Dunnit was the living incarnation of the BAD kind for me.

So there ya go.

(Seriously - you feel that "The Dividing Line" and/or "Calling All Stations" the title track are arguably as bad as Who Dunnit? :-\  I always liked those songs quite a bit...)
Featuring the taxpayer-funded efforts of Blue Raja, Hellcat, and Skyroniter!

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 11:16:08 PM »
(Seriously - you feel that "The Dividing Line" and/or "Calling All Stations" the title track are arguably as bad as Who Dunnit? :-\  I always liked those songs quite a bit...)

To me, weird and slightly annoying is better than bland and entirely forgettable. I really, really tried to give CAS a fair shake, but I don't think I'd recognize a single song off it if I heard it today. Not that I want things to be catchy - I detest catchy because that's usually just a euphemism for simple and repetitive, but something minorly distinctive would have been nice.

(and I only knew Who Dunnit was two words because I had to scan my Genesis collection to see which soongs I actually found to be worse)
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 02:41:11 AM »
Wow, a lot of people seem to have trouble picking ONE song. Note: it doesn't count if you hate everything after (insert album).

I can't really think of anything by a band I love that I absolutely HATE, and I don't count a horrid album like Bowie's Black Tie, White Noise since I only like one b-side from it. The best I can come up with that I definately skip each listen is the Beatles' Revolution 9. Of course, that's not really a song. And it's easy not to like instrumentals.

Offline OTC316

• Schnappi Supporter
  • The world loves a bastard...
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 09:23:10 PM »
I was listening to a station called Fistful of Soundtracks, and they had a show about music rejected from movie soundtracks. I was surprised to find out that one of the original choices for the theme song to the James Bond flick Thunderball was written & performed by Johnny Cash! After hearing it, I can see why it was turned down. I never thought I would ever hear a bad song by Cash, but there it was.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 11:36:41 PM »
Eh, but the theme to Thunderball DID suck. Is that really true though? That sounds awesome.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9928
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 05:12:01 AM »
Is it Cash singing the same song or an entirely different one?

I must find it!

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2008, 11:08:03 AM »
Eh, but the theme to Thunderball DID suck. Is that really true though? That sounds awesome.

Unless you have other odd criteria for Bond tunes than those marks they are supposed to hit, the Thunderball theme is awesome, not least because Mr Jones actually - against all logic and convention - repeatedly carries a long note on the letter n.

However, it wasn't nearly as good as the Shirley Bassey version of another scrapped theme for that movie; Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (also recorded by Dionne Warwick). Best Bond theme ever, and it was never used. They should revive it for Quantum of Solace (yes, that's the title of the new Bond flick).

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2008, 12:54:19 PM »
Anyone ever hear any of Alex North's original score for 2001?
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 03:57:45 PM »

Yep - I have Jerry Goldsmith's rerecording of it. It's pretty unremarkable.

Offline OTC316

• Schnappi Supporter
  • The world loves a bastard...
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2008, 07:02:52 PM »

Y'know what, they played that on the same episode of fistfull, along with the rejected Mr kiss kiss bang bang tunes. Something else i learned from that episode. James Brown's "the Big Payback" was written for a 70's blaxploitation flick ( sorry, can't remember the title.) and it was turned down because the producer thought "it wasn't funky enough". ???