login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1416478 times)

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 80
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18210 on: September 13, 2018, 02:02:34 PM »
Solo: A Star Wars Story

I felt weird in May having this Star Wars movie out and not going to see it. It's the only one I never saw in theaters... well, actually it was SPECIAL EDITIONS of original trilogy that I saw in theaters, so... that depends on who you ask, I guess.

But it turns out my instincts were right. And it wasn't some stupid boycott that made me not see it, it was because it was clear the movie was gonna be a disaster with all it's production problems and Disney practically apologizing for the movie and advance and trying to JUST stop short of nudging it under the couch...

It had a lot of needless moments where I expected the characters on screen to wink at the camera and shout "GET IT!? See, it's a reference to what will happen in New Hope/Empire/Jedi" Somehow I found that more annoying than all of Rogue One's fanservice... save for Darth Vader's scene in his evil black castle of evil over the waterfall of lava. At least THAT movie's fanservice was right in your face and upfront, they didn't try to get cute about it.

And it was also just poorly paced and boring. I didn't get into it at all. I really liked Rogue One, and I really enjoyed The Force Awakens, and I LOVED The Last Jedi even though that'll get you excommunicated from a sect of the fandom I don't really want to be a part of anymore anyway after seeing all their toddler-like temper tantrums these past nine months.... so this new Star Wars' first miss with me.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 223
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18211 on: September 13, 2018, 06:40:09 PM »
Yeah, I thought Solo was... ok. I never bought the star as Han. There were a couple shots in the last scene that almost did it for me, but it was far too little too late then. And I loved Rogue One too.

I LOVED The Last Jedi
I saw a meme that really spelled out what I didn't like about my least favorite moment from it. I've wanted to ask someone who really "gets" TLJ. Is there a different thread we can continue this in?

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 80
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #18212 on: September 14, 2018, 06:56:54 AM »
There's a dedicated thread for The Last Jedi here in movies section. It's gone a bit dormant lately, but it's there.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline stansimpson

« Reply #18213 on: September 14, 2018, 07:27:55 AM »
There's a dedicated thread for The Last Jedi here in movies section. It's gone a bit dormant lately, but it's there.

Just posted!

Would love to hear your thoughts. :)

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 153
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #18214 on: September 15, 2018, 02:13:07 AM »
I saw the new movie with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively, A Simple Favor.  It's a good movie.  The marketing does not do it justice though.  It's marketed as a mystery thriller.  It is that, but there is a lot of comedy too.  So you should go see it.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5298
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18215 on: September 16, 2018, 10:49:42 AM »
The Predator (2018) - Well, that was...disappointing.
I liked everything with the regular Predator, and I liked the main guy and Olivia Munn's character. But everything with the kid and the "quirky" side characters was annoying. The Super Predator and everything with the genetic modification plot was stupid. There were also a couple fight scenes that were waaay too dark and it was hard to tell what was going on.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4435
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18216 on: September 16, 2018, 01:05:37 PM »
Coco

Rewatched Coco with a friend who hadn't seen it yet.  Still fantastic and still made me tear up towards the end.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #18217 on: September 16, 2018, 09:46:25 PM »
Life Gamble ( 1978 )
The problem I have with most of the Venom Mob films is that most of them are waaaaaaaay too complicated. Case in point, Life Gamble.  Every couple of minutes a brand new character is introduced, each with a back story and/or is hatching a plot against a different character. About fifteen main characters are introduced in the first fifteen minutes, all which you need to keep track of. This is the second time I have seen this film, and even knowing the plot, I was still confused watching it the second time around. The plot centers around stolen Jade, which every character is after, either to steal for themselves, or to return to the owner. The four bandits who stole the Jade are bringing it to a gambling house where they plan to gamble for who gets to keep it. Meanwhile the owner of the gambling house plots to steal the Jade from the bandits, as does everyone else who has learned about the game. Before the film is over just about everyone has double-crossed someone, and one or two characters that are supposed to be the heroes turn out to be villains. Keeping track of what is going on is such a chore that it is a relief when characters finally start getting killed, and you no longer need to keep track of them.

Ben 10: Alien Swarm ( 2009 )
An original animated series was produced for Cartoon Network about a boy who finds a magic armband that allows him to change into different aliens, and uses it to battle criminal aliens. It was a hit, so Cartoon Network produced a live action movie of the series. The live action movie was also a hit. So what did Cartoon Network do? They rebooted it. Ben 10 was cancelled and replaced with a different series called Ben 10 Alien Force which takes place seven years later. Ben and his cousin are now teenagers, and one of their former villains is now part of their team. Ben 10: Alien Swarm is based on the reboot series.

I didn't like last week's Ben 10 film. Because it was aimed at kids in grade school, and felt every bit the lame kids film it was. But with the reboot series Cartoon Network was targeted to teenage viewers. That made the second movie more adult, and this time around the film was actually good. Not good enough to recommend other than to Ben 10 fans, but at the quality of an average episode of a CW superhero series. Funny how the age of the target audience determines the quality of the film. It use to be that children's films were entertaining enough for adults. Now ages 1 to 5 get something on the quality of the Teletubbies, 6-12 get bad broad comedies with fart jokes, and teenagers get quality stuff like the Harry Potter films.

Mississippi ( 1035 )
WC Fields gets second billing under Bing Crosby. There is a love story with the Bigger, but it is pointless and forgettable. Bing is engaged to a woman in the old South of the 1800s. When he refuses to get into a duel with a rival, he is branded a coward and his fiance calls off the wedding and throws him out. Five years later he runs into his fiance's kid sister, who had a crush on him back then, and is all grown up now. So they hook up. The plot is that thin. WC Fields plays the riverboat captain who hires Bing as a singer on his show boat. He is a habitual liar, and soon begins promoting Bing as a gunslinger with an impressive resume of kills so that people will come to his shows. While the Bing Crosby part of the film is mostly a dud, the WC Fields parts inject the film with much needed entertainment. Fields is as funny as he has ever been. Too bad his participation in the A plot is very limited.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18218 on: September 17, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »
Tai Chi Hero

Got this one from the library.  When I started, it became apparent that it was a sequel to something (Tai Chi Zero) and it's an amiable Wuxia adventure flick about a village of martial artists whose community is threatened by villains looking to put a railroad through their town and only a bumbling oaf who is training to become a kung fu master can save the day.  Peter Stormare delivers a kind of small, odd performance as a Western villain (his accent is a little off.  I'm not sure what he is going for.)  It is a fun movie but it feels more like a story arc in a TV show than a satisfying full movie.  Also, the fights are hit and miss, not helped by a few week "slow mo" scenes designed not to heighten things but to obfuscate some more generic martial arts (which, compared to the rest of the movie, feels like a Chinese adventure soap).

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 112
« Reply #18219 on: September 17, 2018, 06:13:53 PM »
Slaughterhouse-Five (1972)
If I hadn't read the book, I might have hated it. But the last time I read the book was 20+ years ago and I have forgotten more about it then I remember. While I didn't hate the movie, I also didn't like it. I thought there were some scenes that were good, but it was rather disjointed overall.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #18220 on: September 17, 2018, 07:26:33 PM »
Plan 10 from Outer Space (1995)
Wow…just wow. I think I’ve now seen the worst movie I have ever and will ever see. I was expecting a poorly made lame Plan 9 sequel. Instead I got a Mormon (no offense to Mormons) propaganda film (at least I took it as that, maybe they were making fun of Mormons but if so it wasn’t funny) that made Plan 9/The Room/Birdemic all look like Citizen Kane.
Was it riffable? I honestly don’t know because it was that bad and it would require lots and lots of likely offensive Mormon jokes. 

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 220
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #18221 on: September 17, 2018, 07:29:53 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa whoa... these people that made a Mormon Propaganda film(in theory anyway) titled it... Plan 10 from outer space?!

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #18222 on: September 17, 2018, 07:41:35 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa whoa... these people that made a Mormon Propaganda film(in theory anyway) titled it... Plan 10 from outer space?!
Yes...yes, they did. It did have a kind of sci-fi story and they did mention a "Plan 10", but man, it was basically the Joseph Smith story (again, no offense meant to Mormons) told somewhat seriously (all be it, claiming that he got his gold plates from space aliens).

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18223 on: September 18, 2018, 05:05:16 AM »
The Year Dolly Parton Was My Mom

An... OK drama movie.  The title and poster makes it look like it's going to be a quirky dramedy but really it's a full on coming of age drama about a girl who learns she is adopted and how she and her mother deal with it.  It's not bad, though I feel like the Dolly Parton part of it was something that was in the first draft (or in the pitch) and doesn't work as well in the film itself.  The film is at it's strongest when it focuses on the mother, played by Macha Grenon, coming to terms with the lies she's told her daughter over the years and the reality of when she first brought her daughter home.  It's a great performance that elevates a decent but forgettable film.

Offline stansimpson

« Reply #18224 on: September 18, 2018, 10:47:15 AM »
Slaughterhouse-Five (1972)
...but it was rather disjointed overall.
Isn't this like complaining that Catch-22 is full of too many contradictions. ;)

Yes...yes, they did. It did have a kind of sci-fi story and they did mention a "Plan 10", but man, it was basically the Joseph Smith story (again, no offense meant to Mormons) told somewhat seriously (all be it, claiming that he got his gold plates from space aliens).
So it's like a meta-joke about how Plan 9 was first made by Baptists?

I wonder if that was intentional at all? Considering your described ineptitude, I presume it's purely accidental.