login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1587643 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 263
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18165 on: August 15, 2018, 03:39:55 PM »
The Meg (2018)
Wouldn't call it great, but it was entertaining for a dumb big budget summer blockbuster. Enjoyed it more than many others I've seen. The science explanations were definitely stupid, but not over the top Asylum stupid. What was missing for me was a bit more humor (even a bit more unintentional humor) and I would have liked more outrageous gore.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18166 on: August 16, 2018, 07:34:51 PM »
The Death Of Superman - This was just...boring. The voicework was bad, and badly cast. Especially Lex Luthor. Everything outside of the actual fight scenes went at a snails pace. It didn't help that most of the talking scenes didn't even have a background score, make them feel even more awkward. The fight scenes themselves were fun, but nothing we haven't seen before. It also doesn't help that Doomsday is not exactly a compelling villain (although I can't fault the movie for that). I will give the movie credit for having blood in a PG-13 animated movie. It's not overdone, but it is necessary for this story.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #18167 on: August 17, 2018, 04:33:39 PM »
The Death Of Superman - This was just...boring. The voicework was bad, and badly cast. Especially Lex Luthor. Everything outside of the actual fight scenes went at a snails pace. It didn't help that most of the talking scenes didn't even have a background score, make them feel even more awkward. The fight scenes themselves were fun, but nothing we haven't seen before. It also doesn't help that Doomsday is not exactly a compelling villain (although I can't fault the movie for that). I will give the movie credit for having blood in a PG-13 animated movie. It's not overdone, but it is necessary for this story.

I was surprised they were going back to that well, since I already have a copy of Superman: Doomsday sitting at home. Have you seen both, can you tell if this one is significantly closer to the comic arc?
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18168 on: August 17, 2018, 05:23:45 PM »
The DC Animated Movies started pretty good but after watching "Justice League: War", I lost interest (especially since they seemed to be interested in trying to do New 52 stuff, which was largely a low point for DC Comics storytelling).

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 582
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18169 on: August 17, 2018, 10:19:07 PM »
The animated movie of All Star Superman is pretty good. But I've never been that big a fan of the DC animated films either with the exception of "Gods and Monsters"... which was alright. I think that the best animated stuff DC did was of the non-movie variety with Justice league and Justice League Unlimited... oh and of course Batman TAS.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18170 on: August 18, 2018, 06:41:36 AM »

I was surprised they were going back to that well, since I already have a copy of Superman: Doomsday sitting at home. Have you seen both, can you tell if this one is significantly closer to the comic arc?
The Death Of Superman is closer to the comic. But I remember finding Superman: Doomsday more fun.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #18171 on: August 19, 2018, 09:09:58 AM »
Screamers-Island of the Fisherman (1981)
Originally a 1979 Italian movie that was picked up by New World who dubbed it into English and added a new intro scene that had little to do with the rest of the movie. Silly but enjoyable with a nice amount of fish monsters and gore throughout. Some racist sterotypes that wouldn't fly in a movie today.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 09:14:49 AM by wihogfan »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18172 on: August 19, 2018, 10:34:54 AM »
The Hateful Eight

I remember mostly people saying two things about the movie before seeing it: that it wasn't as good as Django Unchained and that it was a lot like the Thing.  Having seen it, I can say I really enjoyed it.  I will say I was slightly less interested in the movie when the film revealed the sinister parties but the last chapter of the film is still really great.  It really is a film about relationships between various racial and class groups in America, though it is also a weird mix of "Oh, that metaphor actually works really well" and "Oh... wait, what am I supposed to take away from that if I read into it?"  Nonetheless, I still really enjoyed it and as far as 'who do you trust" movies, this one works pretty well.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 582
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18173 on: August 19, 2018, 04:49:27 PM »
Close Encounters of the Third kind was playing at the movie theater closest to me, so I bought my ticket online and went to see this great, great movie yet again. It really is an outstanding film, loaded with top notch acting and incredible performances and an unforgettable musical score. I honestly believe that while Spielberg went on to make other great flicks, Close Encounters is IMHO Spielberg at his finest. What still amazes me is that despite CGI being in it's infancy back then, somehow the crew on this film made every effect, the Aliens, the Spaceships... all look REAL.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2667
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18174 on: August 19, 2018, 05:08:31 PM »
What still amazes me is that despite CGI being in it's infancy back then, somehow the crew on this film made every effect, the Aliens, the Spaceships... all look REAL.

No CGI was used on Close Encounters, it was all practical effects.   Those are real models shot on 70mm film so when they were combined with the 35mm live action they would be sharp and blend in as if they were real.

Spielberg had a test reel made using CGI but decided it didn't look good enough.

Online stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #18175 on: August 20, 2018, 12:55:01 AM »
Five Shaolin Masters ( a.k.a. Five Masters of Death ) ( 1974 )
When Bruce Lee died, the martial arts films in China suddenly became unpopular. The only reason why the Hong Kong studios continued to make them was because in the United States, the genre they called the "Kung Fu Movie" and later "Chop Socky" was at it's peak as drive-in and grind-house fad. Other countries had also discovered martial arts movies. It was the Hong Kong film industry's biggest ( and only ) export. But as far as the average Hong Kong citizen was concerned, Bruce Lee was the master, and any film to be released from that point on would just pale in comparison to the Bruce Lee films. Chang Cheh was not about to abandon the genre. He knew what would bring audiences back to the theaters was movies about legendary martial arts heroes who by all accounts had fighting skills that surpassed Bruce Lee himself. The students and monks from the legendary Shaolin Temple.

My favorite movie from Chang Cheh's Shaolin cycle first aired on American television under the title Five Masters of Death. It was a simple story that begins on the day the Shaolin Temple is destroyed by government soldiers. Various legends of Shaolin's destruction take place under different emperors, which means no one is sure exactly which decade, or century it took place. The story usually has one of the students being secretly a spy for the emperor, and on discovering the monks had been teaching rebels martial arts, alerts the government. He then poisons the water supply so that the monks would all be unable to fight. Shortly after the temple is surrounded by an army which sets it on fire and kills anyone who escapes the flames. In most legends five martial arts masters managed to escape, and from them Shaolin martial arts spread to schools throughout China.

This movie sets the legend closer to the early years of the Qing Dynasty where rebels were still actively trying to overthrow the Manchurian backed Qings and replace them with heirs to the Mings. Upon escaping Shaolin, the five masters decide to join the resistance. More than that, they decide to split up and encourage the various rebels groups to unite under a single leader. However, each has a run in with one of the five generals who lead the attack on Shaolin, one of them being the traitor Shaolin student Ma Fu Yi. All five prove to be unbelievable fighters who do a lot of damage to the rebels, including killing off the rebels leader the masters were trying to get the others to reunite under. Realizing they can't beat the generals, the masters secretly return to the now abandoned ruins of Shaolin. Each picks a specific style to spend a year practicing, so on their next run in with the generals they can defeat them.

Chang Cheh's Shaolin cycle proved successful, enough that the rest of Shaw Brothers, along with other Hong Kong studios, began making their own Shaolin films. The one flaw of this era is obvious. The Qings were never overthrown. At least not until hundreds of years later with the founding of the Republic of China. But the Mings were never restored to power. Which means ultimately all the sacrifices made by various Shaolin men and rebel groups were all in vain. These movies had to settle for small victories, such as the defeat of a villain working for the Qings and Manchurians. For Five Shaolin Masters we have to settle for the eventual show down with the five generals. Not much of a spoiler to say the Shaolin men win. But the film ends with the arrival of a new rebel leader and the entire rebellion uniting at the Red Pavilion. Those who know a little of Chinese history know the entire army would eventually be killed off and the rebellion crushed. Which makes it such an odd choice of an ending.

Avengers Grimm: Time Wars ( 2018 )
The most entertaining part of any Asylum DVD is the trailers for their other films, which includes a lot of familiar sounding titles like Tomb Invader, Atlantic Rim and Zombie Spring Breakers. The trailers do a good job at making these films look, well, decent. Be warned. You are looking at the best moments of that film, much of which turns out to be recycled stock effect used in several Asylum films. What makes this and other Asylum films so frustrating is how so very close they come to real entertainment. With exception to the Sharknado films, which are entertaining for the wrong reasons, the typical Asylum film feels like 90 minutes of padding, where even the action and effects scenes, when they finally happen, somehow fail to satisfy in any way.

Avengers Grimm: Time Wars seems only to exist because someone thought of a title that sounds like Infinity War. But unlike that movie there is no Thanos to snap his fingers and make the annoying characters go away. It is a direct sequel to both the first Avengers Grimm movie and Sinister Squad, combining some of the characters from both. For example, Rapunzel and Cinderella who made up two fifths of the Avengers Grimm are simply not in this film with no explanation as to what happened to them. I could understand this if the reason for their absence was due to the actresses who played them refusing to return, but both Red Riding Hood and Rumplestiltskin were recast. In fact, Rumplestiltskin, the only character to be in all three films, has been recast twice. Alice and Mad Hatter from Sinister Squad return, but Pide Piper, Goldilocks, The Big Bad Wolf and Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dee are also MIA with zero explanation as to why they are gone. The only explanation is that Asylum wanted as small a cast as possible. In fact, including the only civilian character who is only on screen for about 30 seconds, their are only 14 people in the entire cast. That includes 4 actors who play the entire Merman army, which is why whenever the heroes fight the army, there are never more than four soldiers on screen.

Duck Soup ( 1933 )
The last of the films the Marx Brothers made for Paramount. While still profitable it under preformed at the box office, leading Paramount to lose interest in the comedy team. This combined with the Brothers practically suing the studio because they were yet to be paid royalties for any of their films meant their Paramount days were over. This is supposed to be the Marx Brothers funniest film, or at the least the funniest one made with all four brothers. Quite frankly I didn't think this movie was any funnier than the others. Oddly the film I laughed at the most was A Night in Casablanca. But just by a few laughs. The good news here is Margaret Dumont is back. The bad news, Zeppo is once again reduced to a minor role. And neither Chico nor Harpo play instruments. Although one scene in the movie teases us. Chico and Harpo are burglarizing a house when the girl who snuck them in warns them to be quiet. Chico assures her he can be quite, but says so as he is standing right next to a grand piano. A little later in the scene, Harpo reaches into the top of the same piano and briefly plucks the strings like a Harp.

The Last Sharknado: It's About Time ( 2018 )
As it turns I had a second Asylum film to watch this weekend. This movie is quite an improvement over other Asylum films, but only because SyFy has given these movies ever increasing budgets. And because Asylum spends more time on the scripts. They are still bad films. But watchable. You can tell why this is the end of the series. For one, they rely on increasingly dumb plots, which they seem to have bottomed out with. also, not many celebrities showed up this time for bit parts and cameos. Even David Hasselhoff sat this one out. The biggest name cameo wise is Neil Degrasse Tyson, who I am sure has ruined his career with this film.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #18176 on: August 20, 2018, 03:10:07 PM »

The Death Of Superman is closer to the comic. But I remember finding Superman: Doomsday more fun.
I'd probably think along the same lines. I remember forcing myself to get through the death and rebirth storylines once they were published as collections, and thought the Doomsday movie cut through the BS nicely.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18177 on: August 20, 2018, 04:04:04 PM »
The Birds

I still like this movie.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18178 on: August 20, 2018, 05:38:14 PM »
The Birds

I still like this movie.

Me too, but I wish the ending was stronger.
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18179 on: August 20, 2018, 05:56:10 PM »
I watched it with Mom and when it just ended she was shocked.  "That's it?"  I did explain that there was a resolution with the mother character, which she expected, but it does seem too uneventful and/or lacking in payoff for a climax and too long if it is an epilogue.