Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1523367 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4966
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17880 on: March 06, 2018, 02:44:16 PM »

This was based on an actual funeral that Taika attended.  He tried to recreate it word for word.

That's amazing.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 477
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17881 on: March 06, 2018, 02:48:18 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation Johnny I'll try and check it out some time.

This was a weird morning today. I woke up very early to get Thor Ragnarok from Walmart but then after that I just watched another movie, than another. I know it's a strange choice given the last movie, but I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey. Still as great as I'm pretty sure most of us would agree. It's amazing how so much of it... especially the last 25 minutes is all open to interpretation. Also funny how it inspired a lot of stuff in MST3K.

Then after that I watched Captain America: Civil War. It doesn't matter that the movie is about the Avengers being divided, it's still done extremely well, very dramatic and a lot of fun.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2596
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #17882 on: March 06, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
Personally I think Boy is his best work.
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17883 on: March 06, 2018, 04:59:36 PM »
I've never even heard of that one.  I'll have to check it out some day.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5617
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17884 on: March 06, 2018, 05:20:33 PM »
I've never even heard of that one.  I'll have to check it out some day.
I hadn't heard of it either. Just looked it up and BOY is a 2010 movie. Maybe it didn't get released in the US?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2596
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #17885 on: March 06, 2018, 07:03:20 PM »
I hope you guys can find it.
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2562
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17886 on: March 06, 2018, 07:11:57 PM »
Boy is free to watch with ads on Vudu, everywhere else it's rent or buy.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 477
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17887 on: March 06, 2018, 10:03:06 PM »
I really splurged today and bought the original Star Wars trilogy on blu-ray/dvd. I really hate the alterations made to the films, but I know one thing, I can't allow little nit picks to ruin my overall enjoyment of a series. Does it annoy me that Jabba now appears in episode 4? Yes,  Does it annoy me that Boba Fett's voice was changed in Empire Strikes Back? Absolutely, and am I flabbergasted of the change of putting Haydn Christensen into Return of the Jedi? Oh yes, you better believe it. However, given these changes, they're still great movies overall and I won't allow little things to overcome my feelings for these movies. Maybe that's the way some fans should be looking at The Last Jedi. Ultimately, the only changes I would make to that movie are very minor and don't spoil my enjoyment of what I must admit is an overall great film.

So, what was the last movie I watched? Well, The Empire Strikes Back of course. I think I'm beginning to get the clearest possible picture I can of Star Wars, and honestly... ESB will in all likelihood always be the best Star Wars film. That is unless the writers behind GOT do something absolutely mind-blowing with the series when it comes time for them to bring their vision to the screen.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17888 on: March 07, 2018, 04:58:59 AM »
I watched Ice Station Zebra last week.  This is a weird one where even with hindsight, there doesn't seem to be a strong consensus as to whether this is a good movie or not.  A lot of people seem to like it as a guilty (or in some cases a genuine) pleasure, while others find it to be a real snooze.  I'm in the latter category.  Patrick McGoohan is a lot of fun but he and Ernest Borgnine (whose accent is chewing the scenery as a Russian defector) are the only bright spots in what could have been a fun adventure thriller.  The first half is the worst of it, with what is supposed to be a paranoid thriller inside a closed space is just uninspired and it really doesn't earn it's run time (with overture and intermission!).

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 514
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #17889 on: March 08, 2018, 12:04:54 AM »
Ice Station Zebra had a pretty decent first 1/3 or so. There is this great scene with Patrick McGoohan pounding his fist on a table in anger toward Rock Hudson, but that turned out to be the best action scene in the movie. The sets were pretty cheap also. Good score, great Patrick McGoohan, but only really enjoyable if you imagine it is in the Airplane/Naked Gun universe.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17890 on: March 08, 2018, 05:51:43 AM »
Yeah, Patrick McGoohan lets loose for one moment and it is great then nothing.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #17891 on: March 08, 2018, 10:57:31 AM »
I really splurged today and bought the original Star Wars trilogy on blu-ray/dvd. I really hate the alterations made to the films, but I know one thing, I can't allow little nit picks to ruin my overall enjoyment of a series. Does it annoy me that Jabba now appears in episode 4? Yes,  Does it annoy me that Boba Fett's voice was changed in Empire Strikes Back? Absolutely, and am I flabbergasted of the change of putting Haydn Christensen into Return of the Jedi? Oh yes, you better believe it. However, given these changes, they're still great movies overall and I won't allow little things to overcome my feelings for these movies. Maybe that's the way some fans should be looking at The Last Jedi. Ultimately, the only changes I would make to that movie are very minor and don't spoil my enjoyment of what I must admit is an overall great film.

So, what was the last movie I watched? Well, The Empire Strikes Back of course. I think I'm beginning to get the clearest possible picture I can of Star Wars, and honestly... ESB will in all likelihood always be the best Star Wars film. That is unless the writers behind GOT do something absolutely mind-blowing with the series when it comes time for them to bring their vision to the screen.

Let's not forget that the same Star Wars fans who today complain about the Special Edition edits once cheered in the theater when the Special Editions we're released every time they saw a restored deleted scene or added CGI effect. If the leaked email is real then Disney will be releasing HD Blu-rays of the 70s/80s edits of the Star Wars films as part of the next wave of Treasures collection anyway, so maybe then they will have a lot less to complain about.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #17892 on: March 09, 2018, 03:13:58 AM »
It'll be worth them releasing it on Blu-Ray just to put a stop to all that "They CAN'T, Fox owns the home video rights!" talk.

Like it was just set in stone forever. As though because Fox had the rights to it at the current time, that could NEVER change. They know Star Wars wasn't ALWAYS owned by Disney, right? Why, I can vaguely remember a time before 2012 if I really shut my eyes tight and think hard. Can't remember how they GOT the rights, though. Won a dance-off or something, I think.

Sure, in a perfect world, they would've just used MONEY to make that deal, but that's not how the movie industry works, EVERYONE knows that.

Anyway, I'll be glad to never have to hear that again. ^_^

[EDIT: I totally forgot that Disney is working on that big Fox acquisition, proves I was right, though! ^_^]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:23:05 AM by NRRork »
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2562
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17893 on: March 09, 2018, 05:47:55 AM »
With the team negative one and the harmy restorations out there no one has to complain anymore.  I've got both burned to BD-R discs.  The changes made for the DVD special editions never bothered me, but there is one in the ANH blu-ray release that pisses me off for half of a scene so I only watch the restorations of ANH now.  The new slapstick cartoon comedy added right after Obi Wan tells Luke they will have to be careful when they are in Mos Eisley completely ruins the great job Guinness did setting the tone.  People complain about the change to Han shooting second made him less of a badass, I never saw that scene that way, to me it just made him more of a survivor, if anything it adds to him making it through all the stuff that comes up later.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #17894 on: March 09, 2018, 06:06:21 AM »
Yeah, I have the fan restorations, too.

I watched them most recently in preparation for Episode VIII. You know, to remind myself of what happened in those movies that I've seen enough times since the age of nine that I could practically recite them from memory.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?