Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1537260 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17775 on: January 18, 2018, 07:22:15 PM »
The Beyond (2017)
Low budget sci-fi flick about a wormhole appearimg near the Earth and a mission sent to explore it.
Special effects of the low budget cgi kind that weren't awe inspiring but also weren't laughably bad either. Very serious and kind of slow moving with some bad science mixed in the the good and it tried awfully hard to take countless corny turns that could have derailed it into Bruce Willis Armageddon territory but never did. Not a great movie, but interesting enough that I really enjoyed it and thought it was far better and more original than a lot of crap I've seen lately. (Not for anyone looking for an action movie or laughs though.)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #17776 on: January 18, 2018, 07:48:47 PM »
So I just saw Howl's Moving Castle. Wish I'd seen it a couple weeks ago. It'd easily fit into my Top 25. The story's unique and compelling, it's oozing with charm, and every frame is a masterpiece.

Yes, it is quite good. I wish I had thought to put it on my own list.

Offline CJones

« Reply #17777 on: January 18, 2018, 07:55:40 PM »
Blade Runner 2049. Pretty good, except for Jared Leto. All of his dialogue sounds extremely stilted, and he hams it up horribly.

Also, apparently they lost the "umbrella light" technology from the first movie during the Great Blackout.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1473
« Reply #17778 on: January 18, 2018, 09:53:13 PM »
Blade Runner 2049. Pretty good, except for Jared Leto. All of his dialogue sounds extremely stilted, and he hams it up horribly.

Here’s a little tidbit that made me go ‘Ohhh, yeah that makes sense.’  Immediately followed by ‘Aww, that’s sad.’:  They originally had David Bowie in mind for that part.

Offline CJones

« Reply #17779 on: January 18, 2018, 10:37:24 PM »

Here’s a little tidbit that made me go ‘Ohhh, yeah that makes sense.’  Immediately followed by ‘Aww, that’s sad.’:  They originally had David Bowie in mind for that part.

I would love to have seen that.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 512
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17780 on: January 20, 2018, 12:54:04 PM »
Yor: The hunter from the future - I don't remember a lot about Spoony's review, mostly because it's been at least 6 or 7 years since I last saw it. What's confusing is I bought the main title song from Amazon a while back and... the lyrics are WAY different from the ones in the movie, but some of them just like the original title theme can be mistaken for other words.

But, onto the movie... it's cheesy to be sure but I'm really not sure it was all that fun to watch. It was mostly weird and confusing, like the writers didn't at the beginning have a clear direction for where this story was going to be headed. It also gets plenty anachronistic towards the end with the film somewhat resembling Reb Brown's other sci-fi cheese fest Space Mutiny. In the end, there's a huge laser battle because... why not? But the movie goes from fighting dinosaurs to evil purple cavemen to futuristic settings that just come right the hell out of nowhere.

The best thing Yor has going for him is his theme song, and the lyrics are repeated a couple times in this movie. I think it was trying to take a cue from 1980's Flash Gordon, but unlike Flash Gordon, I had a real difficult time getting invested and involved in what was going on in this film. Some fun can be had I guess if you can look past the confusing narrative.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5085
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17781 on: January 21, 2018, 05:03:33 AM »
Ghostbusters (2016)

It was pretty good. A most of the jokes landed, the cast was great and had good chemistry, and Kate McKinnon is fantastic and really needs to be put in more good movies.  Seriously, how does a casting director watch this movie and not want to put her in... all the things.  Like, Marvel should be snapping her up for any number of roles like She-Hulk or the Invisible Woman.

The weakest points were easily the in-jokes.  They generally aren't funny or clever (for the most part) and feel a bit blunt.  The cameos are hit and miss.  Bill Murray, Ernie Hudson and Annie Potts are fine but Dan Ackroyd and Signorney Weaver are groanworthy.  The last fight is also disappointingly boring and I think it was a mistake to make it more like a conventional movie fight scene.

Interestingly, another distracting weakpoint is one I think is a neat bit of experimentation that doesn't quite work, which is the film constantly spilling out of it's own letterbox.  In theory I liked it but the only time I feel it works is when the screen fills out during the last scene of the climax.  I appreciated that they did something different, but I don't think it worked.

Overall, it is a pretty good movie and I'm definitely looking forward seeing the main cast in more things and the next Paul Feig film.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3113
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17782 on: January 21, 2018, 08:22:18 AM »
The spilling out of the letterbox thing made the 3D look awesome, which I think was the intent. It enhanced that "Coming right at you" sensation. It is a bit distracting on 2D screens.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5642
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17783 on: January 21, 2018, 08:54:10 AM »
Paddington 2 - Just as good and charming as the first. It gets a little action heavy at the end, but that didn't ruin it for me. Hugh Grant's villain was great!
I wish they would make the popup book from the movie, it was amazing. Probably too elaborate to be cost effective, though.

EDIT: Okay, so apparently they did do a promotional pop up book tie in to the movie:

It's not quite a perfectly faithful recreation of the one in the movie, like the Babadook one was. It has some changes to include Paddington himself and things that happened in the movie. And the complexity of the popups isn't as much as the one in the movie had. But it's still quite impressive.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4E-XoQ-5DWY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4E-XoQ-5DWY</a>
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:02:50 AM by Darth Geek »

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4344
« Reply #17784 on: January 21, 2018, 05:04:49 PM »
Ghostbusters (2016)

It was pretty good. A most of the jokes landed, the cast was great and had good chemistry, and Kate McKinnon is fantastic and really needs to be put in more good movies.  Seriously, how does a casting director watch this movie and not want to put her in... all the things.  Like, Marvel should be snapping her up for any number of roles like She-Hulk or the Invisible Woman.

The weakest points were easily the in-jokes.  They generally aren't funny or clever (for the most part) and feel a bit blunt.  The cameos are hit and miss.  Bill Murray, Ernie Hudson and Annie Potts are fine but Dan Ackroyd and Signorney Weaver are groanworthy.  The last fight is also disappointingly boring and I think it was a mistake to make it more like a conventional movie fight scene.

Interestingly, another distracting weakpoint is one I think is a neat bit of experimentation that doesn't quite work, which is the film constantly spilling out of it's own letterbox.  In theory I liked it but the only time I feel it works is when the screen fills out during the last scene of the climax.  I appreciated that they did something different, but I don't think it worked.
Overall, it is a pretty good movie and I'm definitely looking forward seeing the main cast in more things and the next Paul Feig film.
Kind of wish they would have done more with the Ghostbusters vs Ghost Hunters throwaway gag.  I would have loved to see a newly formed group have to deal with another paranormal group's reality show shenanigans.  My favorite part was that they actually showed the development stage of the gadgets.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #17785 on: January 21, 2018, 10:46:19 PM »
Dòng máu anh hùng ( a.k.a. The Rebel ) ( 2007 )
So I decided I was going to buy the Dragon Dynasty releases after finding out that all of the films they acquired were major releases in Asia and considered their best films, even the ones I was not familiar with. And this may be my last chance to do so. A lot of the Dragon Dynasty releases are OOP, and the rest may follow now that the Weinstein Company is possibly going to end up liquidated. ( That is not entirely bad news. The Weinsteins are notorious for obtaining the North American release rights to Asian filmsand then shelving them indefinitely. Also, for editing and re-dubbing some films and not allowing the original uncut versions released in the U.S. Liquidating their company may put those films in the libraries of better video companies. I for one would like to see the rest of the Shaw Brothers films Dragon Dynasty was hoarding to finally be released on home video. ) I am not going to get every Dragon Dynasty release. For one, some are OOP, which means they are expensive, even the used ones. And there are a lot of Dragon Dynasty releases I have been warned off of due to them being edited and re-dubbed for the American market. The film I watched this week is The Rebel, a film that is suppose to be the most expensive movie ever produced in Vietnam, and also the one that made the most money at their box office. It stars Johnny Tri Nguyen, who's other film credit is one of the bad guys in The Protector, and who has been a stuntman in Hollywood for decades, having even worked in the series Martial Law. He also was the stunt double for Green Goblin in the Spiderman films. While the fighting in The Rebel is solid but not the greatest, Johnny does have an impressive kick that involves a half somersault. A very decent action film, but I have seen better from Asia.

Star Trek: Beyond ( 2016 )
This has a nice plot where the entire crew of the Enterprise is f*&ked, and for much of the movie it looks as if there is no way out of their predicament. So basically, once the plot gets going it has you riveted for the entire film. Of course you can not watch this film without feeling sorry for the loss of two cast members. One was Leonard Nimoy who passed away before principle photography began. The film addresses this early on when alternate time line Spock is given the news that Spock from the alternate future has died of old age. Of course the other loss was Anton Yelchin who plays alternate time line Chekov, who shortly after filming his role somehow managed to run himself over with his own car. I wondered if this would effect my enjoyment of the film, and it didn't. But strangely enough, I barely noticed his character, even though he is paired with Kirk for most of the movie. A shame his character was given so little to do in his final film.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17786 on: January 21, 2018, 10:50:03 PM »
I watched The Fellowship of the Ring on Netflix, then pulled out the Blu-ray box set and watched most of the second one and the second half of the 3rd one.

As nice as the HD image is streaming, it's still way better to watch movies like this on Blu-Ray. 

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #17787 on: January 22, 2018, 07:46:37 PM »
It

I really enjoyed it, it made me think of a really dark, gruesome version of The Goonies or something. It had that same kind of group of kids that loads of those 80s adventure movies had, but they're just in a horror setting this time.

For example: instead of having to save their favorite burger place from being demolished by a big mean corporate dickhead, they're being hunted by a bloodthirsty, child-eating, creature from Hell who wants to murder them and they all fear for their lives.

As another example, instead of the kid antagonist being a yuppie douche, he's a sociopath delinquent who cuts you.

But I'm disappointed that I'm gonna wait a year longer than I thought for the next part. I knew it was two parts like this, but I guess I was under the impression it was like every OTHER big two-part movie where the whole thing is mostly made already and the second part would be out THIS Halloween.

I'm sure that was known for quite some time, but I wasn't following this movie that close. I wasn't that interested, but then I kept hearing it was really good.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #17788 on: January 22, 2018, 08:50:05 PM »
It

I really enjoyed it, it made me think of a really dark, gruesome version of The Goonies or something. It had that same kind of group of kids that loads of those 80s adventure movies had, but they're just in a horror setting this time.

For example: instead of having to save their favorite burger place from being demolished by a big mean corporate dickhead, they're being hunted by a bloodthirsty, child-eating, creature from Hell who wants to murder them and they all fear for their lives.

As another example, instead of the kid antagonist being a yuppie douche, he's a sociopath delinquent who cuts you.

But I'm disappointed that I'm gonna wait a year longer than I thought for the next part. I knew it was two parts like this, but I guess I was under the impression it was like every OTHER big two-part movie where the whole thing is mostly made already and the second part would be out THIS Halloween.

I'm sure that was known for quite some time, but I wasn't following this movie that close. I wasn't that interested, but then I kept hearing it was really good.

Just watched it over the weekend myself. I was very happy with it. I watched the old miniseries version not too long ago, and I can say that the one advantage it had over this movie is Tim Curry. Tim was pretty much the one thing that worked, but he was enough to sell it. The new Pennywise is really good too, and I'll probably like it more next time I watch it more used to his performance instead of comparing. Skarsgard was smart not to try and imitate anything in the Curry version.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 512
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17789 on: January 22, 2018, 08:53:01 PM »
I haven't seen either version, but I have seen Nostalgia Critic's review where he compares and contrasts both of them and that was pretty great.