login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1537102 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14655 on: November 23, 2014, 06:04:36 PM »
I haven't seen the film, but the review I saw said it felt like the crew was worried Neil Degrasse Tyson was going to burst into the room and tell them how wrong there facts were if they didn't show that they did their homework.

Haha - Nice! I bet it just made people work harder to find faults though :P

Number 2
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5-stupid-complaints-we-always-have-about-chris-nolan-movies_p2/
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14656 on: November 23, 2014, 06:17:18 PM »
I haven't seen the film, but the review I saw said it felt like the crew was worried Neil Degrasse Tyson was going to burst into the room and tell them how wrong there facts were if they didn't show that they did their homework.

Number 2
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5-stupid-complaints-we-always-have-about-chris-nolan-movies_p2/

I think the difference is that Nolan movies present themselves so seriously. Though on that list, I'd argue Star Trek Into Darkness took itself self pretty seriously. And googling shows people did question the science behind it.

Gravity was treated the same way.
FINE

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #14657 on: November 23, 2014, 06:22:56 PM »
I wonder if it was animated would it help an audience to suspend disbelief.

.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14658 on: November 23, 2014, 06:28:41 PM »

Number 2

I think the difference is that Nolan movies present themselves so seriously. Though on that list, I'd argue Star Trek Into Darkness took itself self pretty seriously. And googling shows people did question the science behind it.

Gravity was treated the same way.

I remember people freaking out that Stark made a new element.  His flying suit, heart mangnet-dealie and robot butler are seemingly all fine though however.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:07:04 PM by ScottotD »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14659 on: November 23, 2014, 06:38:54 PM »
That's true.

I saw Spider-Man 2 with a scientist friend of mine who got really upset about the element that that Doc Oc was after was actually not too hard to make in a lab (It's not done much because it decays, but that only matters if you are storing your weapon, not if you're using it, and that's the case with the naturally occuring version too).
FINE

Soguru

« Reply #14660 on: November 23, 2014, 07:39:27 PM »
In all fairness... science is ever changing. I think our understanding of the universe is only going to grow. Unfortunately, a lot of our notions, our ideas in our favorite science fiction films that seem solid now may turn out to be utter nonsense in the not too distant future. My position is even if they're not accurate at all, hell, go ahead and enjoy them. I'm not saying turn your brain completely off, but at the same time, don't let your knowledge of physics and science get in the way of your enjoying a film. Today's science fiction may turn out be tomorrow's joke... generally speaking.

Movies are a medium that are not meant to be realistic or accurate in a scientific sense. We have plenty of TV shows to provide that sort of thing. Movies should primarily be the domain of good storytelling.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #14661 on: November 23, 2014, 08:52:41 PM »
Pointing out scientific inaccuracies/impossibilities in movies is like counting the bullets and getting annoyed when they've fired more than a gun can possibly hold. Sure it can pull you out of the movie if you dwell on it, but to do so sorta misses the point of watching a movie in the first place. No matter how much they look it, movies are not us watching real events through a window. Leeway is the name of the game.

Plus, when we get down to brass tacks, the most scientifically accurate movie ever made is probably Primer. I'll let you all dwell on that oxymoron for a bit.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14662 on: November 23, 2014, 08:54:58 PM »
Pointing out scientific inaccuracies/impossibilities in movies is like counting the bullets and getting annoyed when they've fired more than a gun can possibly hold. Sure it can pull you out of the movie if you dwell on it, but to do so sorta misses the point of watching a movie in the first place. No matter how much they look it, movies are not us watching real events through a window. Leeway is the name of the game.

Plus, when we get down to brass tacks, the most scientifically accurate movie ever made is probably Primer. I'll let you all dwell on that oxymoron for a bit.

What about Cheaper by the Dozen?
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #14663 on: November 23, 2014, 11:19:47 PM »
Movies should primarily be the domain of good storytelling.

Well, the "good" part is key, isn't it?  While watching a good movie you do tend to ignore any problems with plot holes or scientific inaccuracies.  It's when you are not drawn into the story that your mind wanders and starts to find faults.

Science fiction does have somewhat more of a burden because a glaring inaccuracy can knock you out of the story even if it's a good one.  But it's just as bad when they add accurate explanations that go on too long.

Where plot holes and scientific issues really hurt is rewatchability.  Sometimes the movie is good enough to keep you drawn in the first time you watch it, then afterwards you realize it had some problems and when you watch it again you can't help but pick them out.  It is one of the reasons I try to avoid spoilers as much as possible for movies I might be interested in.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #14664 on: November 24, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »

Wait, is THAT how you say it? I always thought it was "brass tax". No idea why. English is a stupid language.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #14665 on: November 24, 2014, 04:20:14 PM »

Wait, is THAT how you say it? I always thought it was "brass tax". No idea why. English is a stupid language.

I did too, I have been saying and writing it that way for years.

I also used to think a voyeur was someone who watched things with curiosity because the word is literally french for watch. After describing myself as a an avid voyeur to anyone who would listen for years my friend informed me that to everyone else that means I like to secretly watch people for sexual gratification. Well that was embarrassing :-[   

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #14666 on: November 25, 2014, 10:19:52 AM »

As far as I know it's tacks, or at least so sayeth Google (and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which is where I picked the phrase up to begin with. And later started using outside of ape-based transactions).

But English is tricky like that, yeah. For years I was saying "For all intensive purposes" until pointed out that that it was incorrect, and obviously so at that.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine got me into a Beatles-based double feature last night with Yellow Submarine and Across the Universe. I quite liked the former. The latter was good at first, and still filled with great sequences, but seemed too concerned in the end with fitting in all those Beatles covers into the story rather than making sure said story had a working structure and wasn't twenty minutes too long.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3548
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14667 on: November 25, 2014, 11:48:49 AM »
Across the Universe works better as a music video than a movie.  The music and the visuals are great, but the story is a bit muddled.  Definitely worth watching, though.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14668 on: November 25, 2014, 12:01:45 PM »
Been awhile since I watched Across the Universe, but I remember really liking it.  That might be because of comparison, since I had recently watched Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, and AtU is definitely the best entry in the "Beatles Musicals that Don't Actually Feature the Beatles" genre.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3781
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #14669 on: November 25, 2014, 07:37:08 PM »
Watching Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind..
Not sure why Thanksgiving made me want to watch it :o