Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1538115 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5644
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14565 on: November 10, 2014, 10:03:10 AM »
There's an area they show off in trailers on an ice world and the entire 40 minute segment has absolutely no relevance to the rest of the film.
The segment does have relevance, because it begets drama, emotion and conflict. The purpose of the whole segment was to make us feel like there is no hope. I guess that's kind of the point of drama though is that there must eventually be a point where we feel like the characters are at their lowest point(towards the end of the second act, correct me if I'm wrong). I felt like I was at my lowest point and I genuinely believed all was lost. But I guess what's why the movie didn't bore me, because it was an intelligent sci-fi film built on genuine human drama and emotion.

And you just talked me out of ever seeing this movie. Ugh.
I'm with you on this one, Im. The "love coquers all" ending that reviews describe, and the deus ex machina 'magic' bullshit really turns me off.

jonalame

« Reply #14566 on: November 10, 2014, 02:37:47 PM »
I saw Interstellar and loved it. I'll try and defend it and do it justice later when I'm at a computer.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14567 on: November 10, 2014, 04:16:04 PM »
I saw Interstellar and loved it. I'll try and defend it and do it justice later when I'm at a computer.

Looking forward to reading it but don't think you have to defend that you liked it to anyone  :)
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14568 on: November 10, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »
Yeah, you can just do a review. Don't think of our criticism as personal attacks. They are. But don't think of them that way.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #14569 on: November 10, 2014, 11:30:10 PM »
Yeah, you can just do a review. Don't think of our criticism as personal attacks. They are. But don't think of them that way.

If you really want to stir it up bad mouth super heroes.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #14570 on: November 11, 2014, 08:08:18 AM »

Or say you like the new Star Trek movies.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline d00hickey

• Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #14571 on: November 11, 2014, 08:42:55 AM »

Which I do. I have never really been a big Trek fan in general though.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #14572 on: November 11, 2014, 11:26:17 AM »

Which is what many, many people say who see the movies, and kind of proves the point of those of us who say "this isn't Star Trek."

And it begins...
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14573 on: November 11, 2014, 11:55:57 AM »
<-- Lifelong Trek fan who enjoyed the new movies.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14574 on: November 11, 2014, 12:45:17 PM »

Which is what many, many people say who see the movies, and kind of proves the point of those of us who say "this isn't Star Trek."

And it begins...

Hey! I wanted to say that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 04:06:30 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14575 on: November 11, 2014, 04:03:18 PM »

I like the new Star Trek movie a lot.

Don't you have a problem with it following the The Hero's Journey trope though?
FINE

Soguru

« Reply #14576 on: November 11, 2014, 11:24:35 PM »
I went back and watched Star Trek(2009) again tonight. I agree... convenient. In theory, Star Trek is about a group of space explorers who deal with anything from ethics and moral issues to intergalactic civil war. The biggest part of Star Trek's appeal is the characters we relate to, look up to, and just generally admire as people who develop and grow throughout their journeys. The way I see it, prequel Kirk is not the Admiral Kirk we've came to know. He's still a far cry from that man. Prequel Kirk is different because his experiences and his life has been very different. He grew up without a dad, he's had to be more self-reliant. As a result, he is probably a little too arrogant, cocky, and overconfident for his own good. That doesn't matter. He is still at heart the same character. He doesn't do things for glory because he genuinely doesn't even know if he's going to go home alive or if he's going to share his father's fate. He still doesn't believe in the no-win scenario, and that's probably why he's more than willing to share in a plan that has a million to one shot at working but it does because hey... he's Kirk. He is a complex yet understandable character we as the audience relate to regardless of our age.

Spock is the Captain's moral compass. Kirk may want to get certain things done, but Spock is clearly in denial to do anything because he prefers to defer to other logical choices given his background but you know that he has also let his emotions get the better of him. We knew in the original series that he was so desperate to hide them. What would it take to make Spock strike a fellow crew member? Extreme emotional distress. It's not out of character given the events in TOS episodes such as This side of paradise and The Naked Time. Spock weeps openly, he even assaults his Captain. Arguably, he does that with murderous intent.

I think I've said this before, but I will say it again. If I had just lost my planet, planet Earth... people would be wise to put me on suicide watch. Not only would I have lost so many billions of beautiful, potential friends, family, but my culture in large part has been lost for good. I don't care how good one's Vulcan training is, Spock's outbursts are completely understandable. As for Kirk, I found it refreshing that he was ready to forgive and work together with Spock. That to me is also a true sign that he is our Kirk. It also showed a hint of maturity.

Now I come to the part that everybody talks about: Why didn't they shoot the drill? I'm going to explain this in as simple a way as I can, so please try and read carefully. Remember how there were something like 6-7 ships(Including the Enterprise) that warped out of space dock to aid Vulcan? By the time they left, the Narada had already started drilling into the planet surface. Everyone got that? Okay, so what happens? The Enterprise is behind, so they warp in and they find a massive debris field of about 5-6 ships. What do you think those ships tried to do? Well, if I were them, my first instinct would be to shoot the drill. But what happened to them? Well, as you can see, the Narada is still intact, the drill is still functioning... What do you think Captain Pike is thinking? You know what? I got a good idea! We just saw how those guys tried to aid Vulcan by shooting the drill, so I got a brilliant damn strategy... SHOOT THE DRILL! I mean if we die, at least it'll be for nothing! I mean it's not like suicide is against Federation law or anything!

I'm not concerned with the science of how the red matter works, how whether or not ejecting and detonating the warp core into a black hole to escape would work or not. My thought is we might find that one day, warping space may not be possible. Teleporting from one place to another may never be possible either. It's possible all this scientifically inaccurate stuff in the Star Trek movies may look to people as no more ridiculous than the notion of Warp 9 or Beaming up hundreds of tons of water containing two humpback whales.

What I found to be so great is the chemistry between the characters, the comradery between Kirk, Spock, Mccoy, Uhura, Sulu, Chekhov and Scotty works magnificently. They all have their wonderful dramatic purposes in the film. I just have a hard time understanding how anybody can straight up hate these new films. I can understand if you don't like them that much or you think they're overrated... but hate? The movies are so fast paced, so fun and exciting and the characters are so heroic that I just can't understand that assessment. It truly boggles my mind.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #14577 on: November 12, 2014, 12:00:29 AM »
I'm not concerned with the science of how the red matter works, how whether or not ejecting and detonating the warp core into a black hole to escape would work or not. My thought is we might find that one day, warping space may not be possible. Teleporting from one place to another may never be possible either. It's possible all this scientifically inaccurate stuff in the Star Trek movies may look to people as no more ridiculous than the notion of Warp 9 or Beaming up hundreds of tons of water containing two humpback whales.

Haha, needed way more scenes of people exchanging nonsense words like it's science around a boardroom table says I.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

Soguru

« Reply #14578 on: November 12, 2014, 12:38:02 AM »
Haha, needed way more scenes of people exchanging nonsense words like it's science around a boardroom table says I.
That reminds me, did you see Interstellar? :D

You can feel differently, of course. Hell, anything you say that contradicts anything I've just said will get you an automatic "like" from Scott, so feel free.
There is no need to be like that. We are people with similar tastes and interests. We all are alike in so many ways and it's important to me that we find common ground so we're not on the defensive with each other.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:39:36 AM by Soguru »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #14579 on: November 12, 2014, 12:43:26 AM »
That reminds me, did you see Interstellar? :D

No but I'm looking forward to it, pretty sure it's not out here yet.
Scottotd on Instagram