Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1585656 times)

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14505 on: November 01, 2014, 07:13:01 PM »
No, "The Spanish Prisoner" it's the name of a con, and the name of a movie. The Nigerian prince scam would be an example of "The Spanish Prisoner" con. If you like con movies that is a really good one.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Soguru

« Reply #14506 on: November 01, 2014, 07:57:12 PM »
No, "The Spanish Prisoner" it's the name of a con, and the name of a movie. The Nigerian prince scam would be an example of "The Spanish Prisoner" con. If you like con movies that is a really good one.
I saw the Spanish Prisoner but it's been a VERY long time. Very Hitchcockian as I recall.

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #14507 on: November 01, 2014, 08:23:54 PM »
Yes, that is apt! Hitchcockian... not as good a director, but Mammet is a great writer...

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #14508 on: November 01, 2014, 08:34:31 PM »
Nightcrawler

Pretty damn impressive performance from old Jake Gyllenhaal. He's just thrilling to watch. Also, this is the most nervous and uncomfortable I've been watching a movie in a very long time. If you like thrillers at all it's a must see.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14509 on: November 01, 2014, 09:34:40 PM »
I saw the Spanish Prisoner but it's been a VERY long time. Very Hitchcockian as I recall.

One of my favourite movies
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #14510 on: November 01, 2014, 10:56:28 PM »
Nightcrawler. Really really good, tense, darkly humorous at times, freakin' magic.

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #14511 on: November 01, 2014, 11:16:08 PM »
I want to see it, (Nightcrawler). Also "Gone Girl" I think "Gone Girl" was sold to Showtime so I will get to see it there... and Nightcrawler to HBO?

How about that Ultron trailer? Pretty cool, eh? Creepy.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14512 on: November 02, 2014, 06:59:27 AM »
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, etc World.

Thought it was awful, some of the stunts are kind of fun but every single character was aggressively annoying and unfunny. 
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14513 on: November 02, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, etc World.

Thought it was awful, some of the stunts are kind of fun but every single character was aggressively annoying and unfunny.

YOU'RE AGGRESSIVELY ANNOYING AND UNFUNNY!

(Just kidding, but I do enjoy that movie!)
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14514 on: November 02, 2014, 05:32:24 PM »
I bought the Criterion blu of that a couple of months back and haven't watched it yet.  I'm curious to see the "extended" version.

I haven't picked it up yet. Maybe in the Criterion Barnes and Noble sale next week?
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #14515 on: November 02, 2014, 07:17:50 PM »
I bought the Criterion blu of that a couple of months back and haven't watched it yet.  I'm curious to see the "extended" version.

I've got the first Blu-Ray, now I'm also curious about this extended version.  Although at nearly 200 minutes that seems like a lot of extra footage.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14516 on: November 02, 2014, 07:21:22 PM »

I've got the first Blu-Ray, now I'm also curious about this extended version.  Although at nearly 200 minutes that seems like a lot of extra footage.

Yeah - I assume it has both versions? Criterion are usually good like that. I wouldn't buy it if it only had the extended edition because I doubt it improves the original.
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #14517 on: November 02, 2014, 07:30:35 PM »

Yeah - I assume it has both versions? Criterion are usually good like that. I wouldn't buy it if it only had the extended edition because I doubt it improves the original.

Looked it up on blu-ray.com, it does have both versions, the theatrical cut and the best restoration they could do of the "roadshow" print.  Some extended parts only exist as audio, some only picture, so there are stills and subtitles in those areas.

The Blu-Ray I have looks pretty darn good, but it looks like Criterion did even more cleaning up of dirt and scratches.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14518 on: November 02, 2014, 08:07:01 PM »
Birdman

Interesting interpretation of the Hanna Barbera cartoon.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #14519 on: November 02, 2014, 10:30:15 PM »

I haven't picked it up yet. Maybe in the Criterion Barnes and Noble sale next week?
Is the sale next week? I've been putting off the IAMMMMW Blu for a while, but I might finally take the leap.

It's one of those rare movies where I say "The longer, the better", if only because the ridiculous excess is basically the whole point of the movie. And because it's already very funny at the crazy length it's at anyhow. Can't image more will hurt.