Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1584541 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2650
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14325 on: September 14, 2014, 06:26:55 PM »
He's attached to three different pojects currently (though who knows if any or all will see the light of day?)

http://www.avclub.com/article/simon-pegg-says-he-and-edgar-wright-are-working-ne-208318
FINE

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14326 on: September 14, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »
Well, he was going to do Ant-Man, but that fell through when he and Joe Cornish couldn't agree with Marvel on aspects of the film.  Right now, his next films are Baby Driver, which he described as "kind of a musical" with crime elements and an adaptation of the Young Adult book "Grasshopper Jungle", a dark horror comedy about a teenager who accidentally unleashes 6-foot tall praying mantises with a hunger for people flesh (in at least two ways).  Said teenager also must come to terms with his sexuality: will he end up with his current girlfriend or his best friend.  Not a lot of young adult books with a gay/bi-sexual lead, so this should be interesting, and knowing Edgar Wright, a lot of fun.

Whatever it is, I'll be looking forward to it.  He has yet to make a movie that I dislike (he even wrote the Tintin movie with Joe Cornish and Steven Moffat), which was criminally overlooked and is Spielberg's best adventure film since the Indiana Jones films that don't have the word Skull in the title.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #14327 on: September 14, 2014, 11:29:20 PM »
Since everyone's talking about it, I'll thrown Shaun in as my favorite of the three, with Fuzz a close second, but honestly I love them all to pieces. Just for slightly different reasons.

World's End is the least out-and-out funny of the three, yes, but I'd also call it the most mature and layered. There's a lot going on in that movie, most of it centering on the total fuck-up that is Gary, and what being a total fuck-up can actually mean. I still got a lot to love out of it, even though I haven't revisited it as much as the other two, and I'm looking forward to what I find next time around.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #14328 on: September 15, 2014, 04:31:53 PM »
The Zero Theorem

It's not as good as Brazil or Twelve Monkeys, but it has all of the creativity, humor, beauty, and weirdness you'd expect from a Terry Gilliam film.

I also have found a church for me.

I realized this is probably the last movie Robin Williams was in that I"ll actually watch. Kind of a perfect send off though.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14329 on: September 18, 2014, 09:45:08 AM »
Right now, his next films are Baby Driver, which he described as "kind of a musical" with crime elements...

Please tell me it's about Adam Driver as a baby.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4513
« Reply #14330 on: September 18, 2014, 09:49:03 AM »
Or like the Toonces sketches, but with an infant instead of a cat.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14331 on: September 18, 2014, 05:29:03 PM »
Or like the Toonces sketches, but with an infant instead of a cat.

MAKE THIS HAPPEN, UNIVERSE!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14332 on: September 27, 2014, 05:31:42 PM »
Boxtrolls - I really enjoyed this! I still like Coraline and ParaNorman better, but this was fun and very well made. Interestingly, I felt while watching the trailers that the movie had a rather muted color look to it, but this is not true of the movie itself at all.
I like that even though through the majority of it the Boxtrolls are adorable, there are a few times they deliberately make them look downright terrifying. And the humans are definitely creepy and scary at times.
The girl Winnie was a great character. Both bratty and endearing. Particularly in her love of the grotesque stories she had herd about the Boxtrolls (all lies, of course).
While we do see them at one point without their boxes (it isn't the interesting reveal I thought it would be), I at least appreciate that we never get an explanation of what they are or where they come from.
As always with Laika Studios, the animation is great! And they clearly go out of their way to enhance it with as little CGI as necessary.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #14333 on: September 27, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »
The Mazerunner

It grabs you right from the beginning. I'll give it that.

I never read the book. I didn't know anything about it. There was some weird dialogue and minor plot holes throughout, but I was enjoying it. It has some really cool sequences. I liked the design of the maze. It looked great! I thought (some of) the acting was good. The main kid was okay. I liked Game of Thrones kid. Bizarro Kristen Stewart was awful...like a propped up corpse.

Anyways. I was onboard until the last 10 minutes where they so thoroughly ruined everything. We are talking about exposition that will make you want to punch
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in the face because it's so obnoxious. We are talking twists that are simultaneously boring and confusing. They were pushing so hard for a sequel they screwed themselves. Though, to be fair, that ending was probably the work of studio executives, not actual writers.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #14334 on: September 27, 2014, 09:33:27 PM »
Snowpiercer, I loved the hell out of this movie. It was a totally unique film with tons of action, scifi, and great visual effects.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14335 on: September 28, 2014, 10:10:35 AM »
Finally saw Tusk.

#WalrusYes

I could not stop laughing for about two-thirds of the movie and probably about three hours after it was over. It didn't matter at all that I knew the entire plot and ending from listening to Smodcast. Just seeing it play out as evidence that a movie that batshit crazy can be done by people who took it...not seriously, but seriously enough to believe it could work, was worth the ticket price.

Also, Johnny Depp was awesome. Micheal Parks was the best part, but that wasn't a surprise at all.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14336 on: September 28, 2014, 06:43:10 PM »
His Girl Friday

This isn't exactly what I expected.  I was expecting a romantic comedy with a bit of the Thin Man thrown in.  I think people might remember it as being romantic, but it really isn't.  It is good, in ways I didn't expect.  The first bit of the film feels a bit clunky, but once Hildy starts reporting again, it picks up in a big way.  I like that the film never tries to excuse Cary Grant's awful behaviour in the film, making him a terrific ne'er-do-well who is happens to be on the side of right (though mostly because it makes great news) and while the film shoehorns in a "these crazy kids are getting together again" at the end (and they really shouldn't.  At all.) it is really more about re-igniting Hildy's passion for the job.  In fact, I think the two leads don't have much chemistry as a couple, but as allies (who are often at each other's throats) they are electric.

I also find that after the first bit, the film does a much better job balancing the humour and the pathos, making the stakes high for the character that Hildy is trying to prove is mentally unwell.  There's still some cliched stuff, but the last act holds up great, mixing tension and silliness in a wonderful way.  Great movie.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14337 on: September 28, 2014, 09:44:59 PM »
Watching Captain America: Winter Soldier again on BluRay. I do really like this movie. I think it handles the darker, more grittier modern world very well, because it treats Captain America's, for want of a better term, "boy scout" nature as a POSITIVE, and not a negative.
Just a few thoughts as I watch it:

First fight scenes have TERRIBLE shakeycam, for no goddamn reason!

Why wouldn't they have told Steve that they needed to get important computer data off the ship? And unless they were planning on blowing it up afterwards, why would they even need to get it off of the computers?
Natasha says "that one's on me" when Batrock blows up the room. Um, NO! Bullshit! He was Cap's hostage and he walked away from him. He didn't even cuff him, for crying out loud. Batrock escaping is totally on Captain America!

I like the scene where Steve visits with his now old girlfriend. But there is an odd CGI aspect to her mouth that is distractingly bad. Either they decided to change the lines in post and had to modify the lip movements to fit it, or they had originally given her old craggly teeth in the old age makeup, and decided afterwards it didn't look good. Either way, it's fucking creepy.

It was a distractingly bad idea to cast the asian CEO from The Dark Knight as one of the SHIELD overseeing council.

Waitwaitwaitwait! His neighbor the nurse says "You don't want my scrubs in your machine, I just finished a shift in the infectious disease ward." WHAT?! She doesn't want her scrubs in his machine, implying there is the possibility of infection, but it's ok to put them into the washing machines the rest of the building uses?!

Really, Steve? You couldn't have hidded the memory stick in the back of the machine or something? It's not like The Purloined Letter if it doesn't look like everything aroud it!

I'm a lot less impressed by Redford's performance the second time. He just seems kind of boring, rather than the cold reserved I think he is supposed to be.

As cool as the Falcon suit is, they don't explain why there's only one of them (apparently there used to be at least two) and why they aren't more widely used. Yeah, I get Cap's shield is made of a rare metal so they can't just make a lot more (although why they let him throw millions of dollors around like a frisbee still makes me laugh a little), but this isn't even in the same league. Couldn't they have just said it was an initial prototype he had tested out?

I absolutely LOVE how well they did Winter Soldier's metal arm. They can get away with it in the comics, but I never thought it would look so good in live action, and so practical.

Wait, so Captain America's vibranium shield redirected THOR'S HAMMER BLOW, but a rocket hitting it blasts him across the road?

So...Nick Fury "wasn't sure who to trust."...except the team of docotors that helped him fake his death and the team of people at the facility where he was being taken care of. Personally, I think they should have let Nick Fury be dead for at least a movie or two. Since all of these are intertwined, and there are ones coming out about every six months or so, why not?
Also, this whole "Hydra infiltrating Shield" thing really makes Nick Fury look a LOT less in control or competent than we've seen before. I'm surprised they were willing to let a character we are supposed to still root for and find effective look this bad.

My favorite Captain America suit is definitely the one from the first movie. It's so nice to see him put it back on at the end of this movie.

*sigh* WHY doesn't Black Widow at the very least shoot Redford's character in the leg or something when she first gets the drop on him? It's not like it'd be out of character for her or anything.

Still, none of these things prevented me from liking this movie. But I can understand others who feel differently.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #14338 on: September 28, 2014, 11:03:14 PM »
I watched Cool As Ice again with a couple of friends. It still holds up as being the best terrible movie ever made. Nothing can even compete. Not even slightly.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 407
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #14339 on: September 29, 2014, 07:21:35 PM »
I watched Cool As Ice again with a couple of friends. It still holds up as being the best terrible movie ever made. Nothing can even compete. Not even slightly.

Yupyup.
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!