login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1527175 times)

Quantum Vagina

Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13965 on: May 26, 2014, 02:10:04 PM »
I still think that drawing a comparison to "Wrath of Khan" was the worst idea anybody's had for Star Trek. The problem is that Abrams is such a lousy story teller that that's really all he can do. I honestly expect that he's going to try and drop something along the lines of Vader revealing he's Luke's dad in one of the new Star Wars movies, and I bet it will be VERY similar to that premise, too.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #13966 on: May 26, 2014, 02:23:50 PM »
I still think that drawing a comparison to "Wrath of Khan" was the worst idea anybody's had for Star Trek. The problem is that Abrams is such a lousy story teller that that's really all he can do. I honestly expect that he's going to try and drop something along the lines of Vader revealing he's Luke's dad in one of the new Star Wars movies, and I bet it will be VERY similar to that premise, too.

Absolutely agreed, you are very, very smart!
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13967 on: May 26, 2014, 02:25:42 PM »

It wasn't his script though, and he was really at the mercy of the screenwriter to tell him what Star Trek was all about at its core, because he was never a Trek fan.  He IS a Star Wars fan, so I don't think he'll fall into the same traps.  Different traps maybe, just not the same ones.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #13968 on: May 26, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »
Yes, even when he was making the first movie, he said, "My genius friends were into Star Trek but I was more of a Star Wars fan...." really.... ok, that's what we get then.

BUT, I think he will CRUSH Star Wars! Not that I care much for Star Wars, I am a genius friend who likes Star Trek, that was horrible self aggrandizement and has nothing to do with objective reality. Purely subjective, obviously.

Offline d00hickey

• Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13969 on: May 26, 2014, 03:52:01 PM »
I liked the Star Trek reboots. I think people are willfully ignorant to the quality of the old Star Trek. I liked some of the older Star Trek movies more, The Wrath of Kahn being my favorite, but I think the new ones are fun too.

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #13970 on: May 26, 2014, 03:56:27 PM »
I have a terrible weakness for Trek, I must admit. I am being vulnerable to youse guyses!

I play the Star Trek MMO but this laptop don't play it well. Clunky.

I try to be cool but Trek is like my Kryptonite! Even saying that it is a wonder I ever got laid!

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #13971 on: May 26, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »
Truth. I liked the first 40 minutes of the first JJ movie, but then it dissolved into silly. I must say, with my weakness for Trek I liked the second one better.... still not good Trek....

Although right from the beginning, I had a problem with The Enterprise in the ocean.... I mean, I guess it is possible, but why? You can beam from orbit, right? Prime directive, sure... you walk around the corner and beam up. The more I think about it the more silly it all seems.

And can we get a Chekov with a real Russian accent? This new guy is worse than Koenig. His accent was like nails on a chalk board. How about an actor of Russian descent? Are we all out of them, now?

Sorry, I am babbling now, but, wow! I didn't even realize how much I hated the movie until just now!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2599
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13972 on: May 26, 2014, 08:13:39 PM »
And can we get a Chekov with a real Russian accent? This new guy is worse than Koenig. His accent was like nails on a chalk board. How about an actor of Russian descent? Are we all out of them, now?

You mean the guy who plays him now, Anton Viktorovich Yelchin? Who was born in Leningrad, Russia?
FINE

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #13973 on: May 26, 2014, 08:20:41 PM »
Yeah, I was afraid that would happen.... Seriously, he may be Russian but my dentist is Ukrainian and her accent is much more pleasant. Maybe I just like female Russian accents? Could be. (No offense to Ukrainians who do not consider themselves Russian and I would never offend them. They're very, very mean!)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4989
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13974 on: May 27, 2014, 09:33:36 AM »
Bernie

A great, unusual film about the true story of Bernie Tiede, a funeral director and the most beloved man in town who falls in love with a mean old widow (who is the least liked man in town) and is eventually driven to kill her.  It's a sort of a mix of conventional biopic and documentary with many of the actual townspeople playing themselves.  Everyone does a good job in the movie (Jack Black is perfect as the lead and Matthew McConaughey is pretty good as the slick talkin' DA) and overall it is a pretty great movie, though due to it's quasi-doc style, don't expect it to feel like a conventional movie, even though on paper it would seem like it.

The trailer makes it seems a lot more conventional and cheesy, but while I wouldn't call it a really out there film, it is a lot more unique than the trailer makes it look.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YJuhWKcY_6U" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YJuhWKcY_6U</a>

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #13975 on: June 02, 2014, 06:11:44 PM »
X-Men Days Future Past & Godzilla

Made for a pretty amazing double feature, though I was pretty exhausted  at the end!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4989
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13976 on: June 02, 2014, 06:13:07 PM »
Also watched Godzilla.  I had a few problems with it, but overall it was pretty good.  Looking forward to Edwards next movie.

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #13977 on: June 02, 2014, 06:26:23 PM »
Bernie

A great, unusual film about the true story of Bernie Tiede, a funeral director and the most beloved man in town who falls in love with a mean old widow (who is the least liked man in town) and is eventually driven to kill her.  It's a sort of a mix of conventional biopic and documentary with many of the actual townspeople playing themselves.  Everyone does a good job in the movie (Jack Black is perfect as the lead and Matthew McConaughey is pretty good as the slick talkin' DA) and overall it is a pretty great movie, though due to it's quasi-doc style, don't expect it to feel like a conventional movie, even though on paper it would seem like it.

The trailer makes it seems a lot more conventional and cheesy, but while I wouldn't call it a really out there film, it is a lot more unique than the trailer makes it look.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YJuhWKcY_6U" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YJuhWKcY_6U</a>

Yes, Jack Black was amazing in the role. I saw the story on the Murder Channel (ID, Investigation Discovery, chicks love the Murder Channel, almost as much as the Mortgage Channel, HGTV), you get this feeling that he didn't think he was doing anything wrong.... I mean, he used the money for charitable events.... right?

Creepy...

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5621
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13978 on: June 02, 2014, 07:20:05 PM »
Bernie

Yes, Jack Black was amazing in the role. I saw the story on the Murder Channel (ID, Investigation Discovery, chicks love the Murder Channel, almost as much as the Mortgage Channel, HGTV), you get this feeling that he didn't think he was doing anything wrong.... I mean, he used the money for charitable events.... right?

Creepy...
I am STILL waiting for the all singing riff of this by OneWallCinema !

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13979 on: June 06, 2014, 07:18:47 AM »
Shark Attack 3: Megalodon

I don't know why this doesn't have a cult following, the production is delightfully inept with awful ADR, file footage, script, edits, etc plus John Barrowman looks like he's trying not to laugh the whole time.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)