Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1539423 times)

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13905 on: April 19, 2014, 08:12:46 PM »
The Imposter

A seriously weird true story about a French man who claimed to be a missing child from Texas...and fooled everybody. On Netflix streaming too.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #13906 on: April 19, 2014, 08:55:55 PM »
Moonrise Kingdom, lots of fun, really surprised the kids were essentially new. Good stuff from everyone in this one.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13907 on: April 19, 2014, 09:13:49 PM »
A Face In The Crowd - Starring Andy Griffith before he did the Andy Griffith Show. It's a different character than we are used to seeing from him, and he really goes for it. He plays a down on his luck roving singer that gets his shot at fame, and we see how it corrupts him. The performances are all good (although Griffith gets very scenery chewing at the end, it's all to show how desperate his character has become). I thought the movie was a bit long at over two hours. And it really would have helped to know how much time has passed at various points in the movie.
  I also think that his character isn't very likeable, even at the beginning. The movie is trying to show his corruption and change in character. But since even at the beginning we know he is secretive and likely not on the up and up anyway, exactly how much was real and how much was an act was unclear. So the amount of change is also unclear.
  There is also the very uncomfortable comparisons to modern manufactured redneck celebrities like Larry the Cable Guy and the Duck Dynasty guys.
  The movie is notable because of it's political and social satire of the "mediafication" of politics and manipulation that television can bring. But that is done well at first and then quickly goes off the rails just like Andy's character.
  I thought the movie overall was okay. And I definitely got what I watched it for, which was to see Andy Griffith playing a role completely different than I've seen him do before. It's really the primary reason to watch it.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3785
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #13908 on: April 19, 2014, 09:21:25 PM »
Easter Weekend Marathon (so far):

Better Off Dead
Strange Brew
Space Balls
Caddy Shack

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13909 on: April 19, 2014, 09:34:09 PM »
Instead of diving into the stack of unwatched Blu-Rays I have I watched Kill Bill 1 and 2 this evening, those movies are so much fun....

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3549
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13910 on: April 20, 2014, 09:23:08 AM »
Under The Skin
What the...I just...I don't even....hmmmm.

Yeah... that's my reaction to the trailers, too.

I plan on seeing this movie, even though I don't know what to make of it from the previews. I read the book of the same name by Michel Faber and enjoyed it. I hope I'm not spoiling anything for the movie by saying (oh hell I'm putting this in a spoiler tag anyway)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With that in mind I am completely flummoxed by what I've seen of the movie so far -- parts of it seem similar to the book but it looks like it's going to be a completely different animal (no pun intended).
l haven't read the book, but I heard an interview with the director that said he was going for something different. It is most certainly different. It is propably one of the most bizzare movies I've ever seen. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it, but it's one of those movies that stick with you. There are some very disturbing parts, but some very cool parts too.I think I'm going to checkout the book.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #13911 on: April 20, 2014, 10:28:02 AM »
Jodorowsky's Dune (2013, directed by Frank Pavich)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Really looking forward to seeing this, will probably have to wait till next weekend though.
So, did that, simply delightful. A wonderful meditation on the creative process, even when the end result goes a bit awry. I love some of the proposed casting choices. Welles would have been great as Vlad, if he could have been wrangled successfully (big if but I'd have liked them to have tried). While I don't think anyone could be a better Irulan than Virg Madsen, Jodo's casting would at least have been interesting to see.

I think the most significant takeaway for me is that Dune is a super tricky text that seems to defeat even the most unique of film makers but that still generates a huge amount of fantastic creation (because, as might be deduced from my mentioning of the divine Ms. Madsen, Lynch's version isn't without positives, neither is the Sci-Fi version, but both have massive failures as well). I love the idea of the blood as source of generative genetic material; it's not from the book but I'm surprised that it isn't, it's very much in the spirit of the book's universe. I also like that the ending of the book simply doesn't appeal to film makers, but this is because, I think, the book isn't the end of the story while a film has to have more finality, unless one wants to make the series and, let's be honest, that was never going to happen.

I'm looking forward to the disc release of this since I'm hoping there will be some fun extras, though the best thing would be a facsimile edition of the book that was sent around to all of the studios containing the storyboards and concept art.

Tangentially I would love to see a documentary about Jodorowskys Père & Fils, there are a few great moments where they are on screen together and Brontis gives a look to camera that seems to convey "Yeah, I know my old man's a little loopy". I'd love to see more about how their relationship works while filming and outside of film.

This film also solidified Jodorowsky as one of the if not the director/creative types I'd most like to hang out with for an evening, I can't imagine a more splendid dinner/drinking/other substance companion really. :)

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #13912 on: April 20, 2014, 11:49:05 PM »
Moneyball - A great film about a subject I would have completely no interest in normally. Good stuff.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4359
« Reply #13913 on: April 21, 2014, 10:48:42 AM »
Spirit! Some people hear it! Some people fear it! Spirit! Some people just won't go near it!

Ghostbusters II was my favorite movie EVER when it came out, and I spent many of my Pre-Teen/Early Teen years listening to the casette tape of the soundtrack over and over again. As a result, hearing songs like "Flip City" or "We're Back" transports me to that time in my life. I get a similar rush hearing anything from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles soundtracks. All three of 'em...
The only music I remember from the third movie is Baltimora's Tarzan Boy.

MightyJack

« Reply #13914 on: April 21, 2014, 11:39:12 AM »
The Wolf of Wall Street
Scorsese riffing of Scorsese: It’s overlong and too over the top for my tastes, but I guess it’s appropriate that a tale of excess should be excessive. I liked the first half a lot, but I got tired of it after a while. I got the point after an hour and a half, and I didn’t need to be beaten over the head with it for another hour and a half.  But it was good, not as great as “Hugo” in regards to this later part of his career, but good.

American Hustle
This is a funny, smart and mad ride, though it doesn’t become OTT raunchy and cartoonish as Wall Street did. I thought this film was sharp, I loved it all: from the clever script to the well-rounded, colorful performances and characterization. And tonally it nails the 70s. Hell the opening scene with the hair sums up the decade beautifully. Even the washed out cinematography captures that 70s vibe. You see the actor’s blemishes and freckles, the textured sets and costumes… this isn’t the tidy, polished camera work you get today. (Not a knock, I like today’s cinematography, but I appreciate how they made this look like a motion picture filmed in the 70s)

I found Hustle a witty and spot on tribute to the era. And unlike his “Silver Linings Playbook”, which started off special before it descended into cheesy rom-com tropes, Russell doesn’t piss the final act down his leg.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #13915 on: April 22, 2014, 08:46:08 AM »
Transcendence

As far as ghost in the machine movies, it's pretty good... my backhanded compliment for the day. The problem is that it wants to serve too many masters.... Attempts to be a more thought provoking cautionary tale early on eventually give way to a 3rd act with too much action, explosions and CGI. For a movie all about how technology will be the next great step in evolution... how humans can and will evolve past their biological limitations... Transcendence tells a story that could have benefited from less CPU cycles being thrown into it's production. 

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13916 on: April 22, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
Transcendence

As far as ghost in the machine movies, it's pretty good... my backhanded compliment for the day. The problem is that it wants to serve too many masters.... Attempts to be a more thought provoking cautionary tale early on eventually give way to a 3rd act with too much action, explosions and CGI. For a movie all about how technology will be the next great step in evolution... how humans can and will evolve past their biological limitations... Transcendence tells a story that could have benefited from less CPU cycles being thrown into it's production.

I will probably see this tonight and I think my expectations are in the right ball park. Overall did you find it a pretty good, entertaining flick?

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #13917 on: April 22, 2014, 09:45:18 AM »
Oh yea, not a bad movie by any stretch. Just thought it veered a bit into big blockbuster territory towards the end when the story could have been better served with a more subtle approach... Missed opportunities to be something better more then anything terribly wrong with what was presented.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5088
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13918 on: April 22, 2014, 09:54:52 AM »
Beginners

A very good film with a wonderful performance by Christopher Plummer.  The film does have a few problems for me, namely the lead.  I often have a problem with really mopey characters and though this is about a man dealing with his grief, I have trouble reconciling this character with the part of him that falls in love.  Not bad or anything, but not too engaging either.  A little bit of that dog goes a long way though.  Christopher Plummer's story is a lot more satisfactory, as his the boyfriend character, who is clearly someone who means well but is a little messed up.  I do recommend it, but a lot of the appreciation of it might be how much you can relate to the main character.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #13919 on: April 23, 2014, 05:11:14 AM »
12 Years a Slave

Jesus... one of those movies that just drains you. That's certainly not a knock on the film, it accomplished exactly what it set out to do. About the only complaint is director McQueen's love of uncomfortably long takes... some which had narrative purpose like the attempted hanging scene, but some of which just showed a character staring into the distance for 45 seconds... I guess I can understand wanting to slow down time, as the movie is supposed to take place over 12 years... But dammit if I wasn't occasionally flashing back to Kristen Stewart and the Twlight riffs... "Line... line..." during some long, static reaction shot...

But overall the performances are excellent. Ejiofor just has one of the those masterfully expressive faces, incredible at acting without dialog... and Lupita Nyong'o deserved all the praise she has received. The scene where she asks Solomon to end her life... it was masterfully handled. Both Fassbender and Paulson veer dangerously close to cartoonish as the cruel plantation owners, but stay just grounded enough to where you can believe that to a degree,  they too are cogs that have been broken by the big shithole of a system. Benedict Cumberbach and Paul Dano also stand out in support.

The book is in the public domain and can be easily found online, I started reading within a few minutes of finishing the movie. I will say that so far it is incredibly detailed, considering it was all told from memory dating back over a decade.