Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1538888 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13890 on: April 16, 2014, 07:16:44 PM »
Yeah, the main theme is pretty dated, but the iconic nature and the instrumental score counteract that in my mind. A lot of the music in that movie actually sounds older than '80s to me.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #13891 on: April 16, 2014, 07:20:25 PM »
As much as I do like the Ray Parker Jr theme, my absolute favorite song from the first movie's soundtrack is "Cleanin' up the Town". So fun and lively, and MILES ahead of anything in the second movie's soundtrack.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13892 on: April 16, 2014, 07:24:18 PM »
Total agreement there. That song accompanying the Ecto 1's reveal is where the movie really kicks in.  I also have a soft spot for "Saving the Day."

gum.co/RFTthing

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13893 on: April 16, 2014, 11:04:26 PM »
After watching Frozen a second and third time this evening, I've come to the conclusion that it's my favorite movie of 2013 BY FAR. I spent the first 20 minutes bawling my eyes out over the movie. I also sang along with the songs. ALL OF THEM. I'm a 23 year old girl, what can I say?

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13894 on: April 16, 2014, 11:16:19 PM »
After watching Frozen a second and third time this evening, I've come to the conclusion that it's my favorite movie of 2013 BY FAR. I spent the first 20 minutes bawling my eyes out over the movie. I also sang along with the songs. ALL OF THEM. I'm a 23 year old girl, what can I say?

That you want to build a Snowman?  ;)
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #13895 on: April 16, 2014, 11:27:14 PM »
Ghostbusters 2

Although the plot is weak, it's still well-written with a lot of great moments. Works better if you think of it as a Ghostbusters bonus feature and not as a sequel. Worth watching, but dear lord the soundtrack. Dear LORD. I never like the Ghostbusters theme all that much, but it's pure gold compared to the abominable rapping in this. Really really awful crap.

You don't like the Bobby Brown track? I love that song.
Yeah. That's not legal.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13896 on: April 17, 2014, 04:54:44 AM »
Ghostbusters 2

Although the plot is weak, it's still well-written with a lot of great moments. Works better if you think of it as a Ghostbusters bonus feature and not as a sequel. Worth watching, but dear lord the soundtrack. Dear LORD. I never like the Ghostbusters theme all that much, but it's pure gold compared to the abominable rapping in this. Really really awful crap.

You don't like the Bobby Brown track? I love that song.
Yeah. That's not legal.
Very fitting considering Bobby's background.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4357
« Reply #13897 on: April 17, 2014, 03:27:47 PM »
I didn't mind the Bobby Brown stuff, though I preferred Glenn Frey's Flip City (partly because of the scene it's in) and the Jackie Wilson cover. What about Elton John's contribution?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3114
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #13898 on: April 17, 2014, 03:44:57 PM »
Spirit! Some people hear it! Some people fear it! Spirit! Some people just won't go near it!

Ghostbusters II was my favorite movie EVER when it came out, and I spent many of my Pre-Teen/Early Teen years listening to the casette tape of the soundtrack over and over again. As a result, hearing songs like "Flip City" or "We're Back" transports me to that time in my life. I get a similar rush hearing anything from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles soundtracks. All three of 'em...

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3549
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13899 on: April 18, 2014, 01:22:20 PM »
Under The Skin
What the...I just...I don't even....hmmmm.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #13900 on: April 18, 2014, 03:47:29 PM »
Spirit! Some people hear it! Some people fear it! Spirit! Some people just won't go near it!

Ghostbusters II was my favorite movie EVER when it came out, and I spent many of my Pre-Teen/Early Teen years listening to the casette tape of the soundtrack over and over again. As a result, hearing songs like "Flip City" or "We're Back" transports me to that time in my life. I get a similar rush hearing anything from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles soundtracks. All three of 'em...

I know how you feel brother!

"This generation, with fire in our eyes!  Strong are the ties that bind us.  We don't need no, alibis!

Nothing's gonna stand in our way

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #13901 on: April 18, 2014, 09:32:27 PM »
Five Year Engagement... Meh, ok, not sure why I put it on the rental list.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #13902 on: April 19, 2014, 06:33:50 AM »
Under The Skin
What the...I just...I don't even....hmmmm.

Yeah... that's my reaction to the trailers, too.

I plan on seeing this movie, even though I don't know what to make of it from the previews. I read the book of the same name by Michel Faber and enjoyed it. I hope I'm not spoiling anything for the movie by saying (oh hell I'm putting this in a spoiler tag anyway)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With that in mind I am completely flummoxed by what I've seen of the movie so far -- parts of it seem similar to the book but it looks like it's going to be a completely different animal (no pun intended).
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13903 on: April 19, 2014, 09:26:09 AM »
Nightmare on Elm Street-30th anniversary screening at Alamo Drafthouse.

Wow, I'm watching a lot more old movies in theaters than new ones lately.  I think this is the first time I've watched a movie I've riffed in the theater after riffing it.  Luckily it's a movie I actually like, and still holds up really well.  It's a great experience watching with a crowd too.  It got a few laughs here and there with the extremely 80sness and the Mom's crazy drunkenness and sudden recovery in the last scene.

As usual, seeing something like this at the Alamo came with extras.  At the door we were all handed prescription bottles for Hypnocil made out to Nancy Thompson. (the were filled with orange tic-tacs), and the night started with a one-on-one jump rope contest as the audience sang "1 2 Freddy's coming for you."  I volunteered and ultimately lost.  It was the most jumps in 30 seconds, and I came in at 33 to my opponent's 40.  It didn't help that they gave us child sized jump ropes.  Still got a free movie pass for trying, so sitting for the first 15 minutes of the movie overheated and with sore legs was worth it. (My legs were already in pain because I just started working out this week.  Didn't know there was jumping involved in the contest until after I'd volunteered.  Oops.)

Might have to come back next week, they're showing Temple of Doom as a quote-along, complete with paper whips and torn out hearts to hold up.  There's also an eating contest, and I'm a little afraid of what that's going to entail.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5088
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13904 on: April 19, 2014, 10:46:12 AM »
Get Low

Not a perfect movie, but a very well acted one.  It's about an old hermit who wants a funeral director to hold for him a "funeral party".  Thinking about the script, it could be a bit precious if Robert Duvall and Bill Murray didn't act the heck out of it.  Not to say it's a so-so script in some ways: Murray's character could have easily been written as a sleazy money-grubber, but he really comes off as someone who wants to give his customer exactly what he wants and though his motive might be to keep his business afloat, he clearly wants to make his customers happy.  The big reveal of the truth isn't anything mind-blowing, but it is a good scene that Duvall acts very well.  Worth checking out.