login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582624 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13725 on: March 01, 2014, 04:01:05 PM »
Pain & Gain:clap: Michael Bay, I am impressed. This movie was actually very good. And genuinely good, not in a schlocky or so-bad-it's-good way. While the characters may do stupid and unlikable things, they are still very enjoyable to watch. This is primarily due to excellent casting. The things that are supposed to be funny, actually are.
  The only character that is truly annoying and feels like something from Transformers is the gun shop clerk guy. And he's only in it for a few minutes.
  Movies told in flashback is a pet peeve of mine, because it usually eliminates all suspense for no reason. What is interesting is that here, I didn't mind. Because I quickly realized that suspense wasn't the point. And that being shown that the guy gets caught allows the audience to feel better about enjoying his antics.
I never thought I would see overuse of narration as a running gag, or that I would think it's this funny.

I will not apologize for any of the many many many many bad things I have said about Michael Bay's movies. The Transformers movies are all beyond inexcusable. But I will be honest and give him credit where credit is due. What I am most curious about is what this means for Transformers 4. Did he learn how to make better movies in general, with more interesting and likeable/enjoyable characters? Or it a fluke and T4 will just go back to being irredeemable shit like the others? I still have no intention to watch it in theaters unless I hear good reviews. But it does at least peak my curiosity.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13726 on: March 01, 2014, 05:29:30 PM »
Pain & Gain:clap: Michael Bay, I am impressed. This movie was actually very good. And genuinely good, not in a schlocky or so-bad-it's-good way. While the characters may do stupid and unlikable things, they are still very enjoyable to watch. This is primarily due to excellent casting. The things that are supposed to be funny, actually are.
  The only character that is truly annoying and feels like something from Transformers is the gun shop clerk guy. And he's only in it for a few minutes.
  Movies told in flashback is a pet peeve of mine, because it usually eliminates all suspense for no reason. What is interesting is that here, I didn't mind. Because I quickly realized that suspense wasn't the point. And that being shown that the guy gets caught allows the audience to feel better about enjoying his antics.
I never thought I would see overuse of narration as a running gag, or that I would think it's this funny.

I will not apologize for any of the many many many many bad things I have said about Michael Bay's movies. The Transformers movies are all beyond inexcusable. But I will be honest and give him credit where credit is due. What I am most curious about is what this means for Transformers 4. Did he learn how to make better movies in general, with more interesting and likeable/enjoyable characters? Or it a fluke and T4 will just go back to being irredeemable shit like the others? I still have no intention to watch it in theaters unless I hear good reviews. But it does at least peak my curiosity.

Bay can make decent movies when left to his own devices and is allowed to make a personal piece. Everything else is studio execs horning in.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13727 on: March 02, 2014, 01:48:03 PM »

Bay can make decent movies when left to his own devices and is allowed to make a personal piece. Everything else is studio execs horning in.
By all reports, he had more and more freedom in the Tranformers sequels. Even doing a lot of the writing on 2 because of the writers strike.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13728 on: March 02, 2014, 01:52:47 PM »

By all reports, he had more and more freedom in the Tranformers sequels. Even doing a lot of the writing on 2 because of the writers strike.

That doesn't mean it was something he enjoyed.  I would guess that he always saw Transformers as "a job" and not anything he could really get passionate about.  Maybe he can find a story in that universe he actually can get excited about telling, but even if 2 and 3 weren't actively committed to death, he was still trying to please his bosses more than anything.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13729 on: March 02, 2014, 01:58:22 PM »
Riddick (2013) - I liked it. It was much more interesting in the first half hour when it's just Riddick on the planet by himself fighting creatures. Not sure if that could have sustained an entire feature, but once the generic mercs got there it didn't improve.
  Correction, Santana wasn't generic. So much as he was incompetent and annoying. This guy has two-bit hood written all over him, I don't get how he lasted more than three days as a bounty hunter. Much less leading a group of others. And the actor playing him was a really shitty actor. Putting on an accent that was...bizarre.
  What was the deal with the girl on board the ship that Santana shot? It seems like her only purpose was to show us that they are willing to kill. Except that we already KNOW they are mercenaries. Why do we need to establish that they kill people?!
  The whole lesbian thing with Doll seemed forced in a pointless. Even more so was the religious kid, who was just annoying when he wasn't irrelevant.
  They still play Dominos in the far future?
  But ultimately this movie was about letting Riddick be badass, and he was.

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #13730 on: March 02, 2014, 02:02:35 PM »

That doesn't mean it was something he enjoyed.  I would guess that he always saw Transformers as "a job" and not anything he could really get passionate about.  Maybe he can find a story in that universe he actually can get excited about telling, but even if 2 and 3 weren't actively committed to death, he was still trying to please his bosses more than anything.

Yeah, Michael Bay never gave a shit about the Transformers franchise--he originally turned down the job, calling it a stupid toy movie.

And on Transformers 2 especially, the studio made sure the trailer was locked before a screenplay was even written, so anybody's draft of that script would have been full of "let's-just-get-between-these-scenes-we-need-to-see". It still might have been POSSIBLE to make a good movie under those restrictions, but why would Bay care enough to make the effort? He's just getting paid to make a Hasbro commercial.

I'm no fan of Bay, but I don't hate him with the passion the rest of the internet has. Of course, it probably helps that I never gave a shit about the Transformers franchise either. :P

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13731 on: March 02, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
Then why does he make them TWO AND A HALF HOURS LONG?!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13732 on: March 02, 2014, 02:34:21 PM »

Editing takes longer, so why bother?

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline doggans

• doggans.com
« Reply #13733 on: March 02, 2014, 03:12:40 PM »

Who says that's his decision? How many summer blockbusters these days are shorter than that?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13734 on: March 02, 2014, 03:19:40 PM »
Jeebus, when did this become the Michael Bay apologist thread?

I'll ban the lotta ya!
FINE

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 407
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #13735 on: March 02, 2014, 03:20:59 PM »
Call me old-fashioned, but I think if you take a job, you should perform it to the best of your ability. Maybe the man can make a good movie (I haven't seen any, personally), but half-assing three huge projects is still three big strikes against him in my book.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:22:42 PM by Quirk »
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13736 on: March 02, 2014, 03:25:22 PM »
Yeah, I haven't seen any indication that he didn't at the very least make the Transformers movies the way he wanted to. And really, doesn't the robots being more complicated than what they can do in the toys go against what you would think Hasbro would want? Not to mention the fact that the robots aren't the main characters, and they aren't exactly primarily selling Sam action figures.

Offline doggans

• doggans.com
« Reply #13737 on: March 02, 2014, 04:02:35 PM »
Call me old-fashioned, but I think if you take a job, you should perform it to the best of your ability. Maybe the man can make a good movie (I haven't seen any, personally), but half-assing three huge projects is still three big strikes against him in my book.

Oh, I'm certainly not DEFENDING Bay's attitude toward filmmaking; I'm just trying to contextualize it.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13738 on: March 03, 2014, 12:45:46 AM »

Oh, I'm certainly not DEFENDING Bay's attitude toward filmmaking; I'm just trying to contextualize it.

Also you're assuming he gets anything close to final edit on the films, although I've never watched a Transformers movie all the way through so what would I know?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13739 on: March 03, 2014, 07:15:05 AM »

Same goes for me.  Understanding isn't the same as forgiving.

gum.co/RFTthing