login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1583652 times)

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13425 on: November 11, 2013, 05:18:44 PM »
Captain Phillips, it was great.

MightyJack

« Reply #13426 on: November 11, 2013, 10:09:47 PM »
Saw the newest Thor flick. I liked it better than the first, but it still did not wow me. At times I think the filmmakers thought they were making a Star Wars film, what with those space ship battles. Some of the humor was wince inducing corny. And Malekith was a bore... what happened to that laughing madman Simonsen create?

Now that guy had personality -- I don't know who that stiff was who took his name in the movie?

I did like the relationship dynamic between the royal family and as usual, Loki steals every scene he's in. The end battle is nicely choreographed (though it reminded me of the big battle in "Jumper") I enjoyed it okay, but wasn't knocked out by it.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 10:20:49 PM by George Harrison »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #13427 on: November 12, 2013, 05:38:03 AM »
And Malekith was a bore... what happened to that laughing madman Simonsen create?
He's being played by Eccleston, now I love Eccleston and not seen the film yet but your comment suggests he's playing the character the way I assumed he would play it. Really looking forward to seeing it. :)

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
« Reply #13428 on: November 12, 2013, 07:27:01 AM »
The extended version of "The Hobbit."

Now, I know there are those who hate the way the theatrical version was padded, and figure this will only be more padding on top of that.  I understand that.  But, I like these movies a lot.  I guess I just enjoy spending time in Middle Earth.

So, the extra scenes are few and far between.  A better explanation why the elves were disgusted enough with the dwarves that they weren't willing to lift a hand for them.  A little more time in The Shire to see how much Bilbo enjoys his simple life.  A scene between Bilbo and Elrond that establishes "something" between them.  Not a true friendship or anything, but it lets you understand why Bilbo had the option, later in the film, to return to Rivendell, and to spend the later years of his life there.

So, it doesn't add a lot.  If you liked the theatrical version (as I did) you might enjoy the new parts.  If you didn't like the theatrical version, there isn't anything here to sway your opinion.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5897
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13429 on: November 12, 2013, 07:34:52 AM »
Saw the newest Thor flick. I liked it better than the first, but it still did not wow me. At times I think the filmmakers thought they were making a Star Wars film, what with those space ship battles. Some of the humor was wince inducing corny. And Malekith was a bore... what happened to that laughing madman Simonsen create?

Now that guy had personality -- I don't know who that stiff was who took his name in the movie?

I did like the relationship dynamic between the royal family and as usual, Loki steals every scene he's in. The end battle is nicely choreographed (though it reminded me of the big battle in "Jumper") I enjoyed it okay, but wasn't knocked out by it.
  I agree with you about Melekith being a bore. Nobody has mentioned yet the EVIL SPACE KOOL-AID that was the most piss poor McGuffin yet. I did like all the humor, though.
  The dynamic between the royal family was nice. But I thought Anthony Hopkins (despite given more to do) seemed aggressively bored with the whole thing. Hell, the speach he gives Thor about it would be better to date Sif, he was rushing it through. It just made me wish even more that they had hired Brian Blessed in the first place.
  I did like how dismissive Odin was of Natalie Portman's character. Even though we're not supposed to like him because of it, he's right, she shouldn't be in Asgard. Hell, she shouldn't have been in the movie anyway. The lengths of coincidences to get her involved at all was embarrasing. I was also annoyed that they persisted with their "love story" (even calling it that is being generous). And being a Hollywood movie of course they have to pander to the bullshit cliche, rather than having either of them do THE MATURE THING and walking away.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13430 on: November 12, 2013, 07:36:51 AM »
And Malekith was a bore... what happened to that laughing madman Simonsen create?
He's being played by Eccleston, now I love Eccleston and not seen the film yet but your comment suggests he's playing the character the way I assumed he would play it. Really looking forward to seeing it. :)

For shame!  You need to be a better husband and take Ann to see Loki.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #13431 on: November 12, 2013, 07:40:27 AM »

For shame!  You need to be a better husband and take Ann to see Loki.
I tried; I took some time off on the day it came out so I could take her and was even willing to take the picture of her twerking the Loki stand-up like she was threatening to do (*shudder*) and then she calls from work to say she can't leave due to some stupid client needing a break down of HMO costs or FSA charges or something along those lines.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13432 on: November 14, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »
Rise of the Guardians - AAAARGH! This movie was so goddamn frustrating! There was not a moment in this movie that didn't add yet another question! Everything is so fucking vague. The movie itself looks very nice, but it is clear that everything is waaaaay overdesigned, and always moving fast to try to distract you from all the questions they don't answer.
  What is a Guardian? That does that title imply? Should they really keep showing us AFRICA on Santa's globe computer monitor thing if they are talking about protecting children?! What do they do other than what's related to their holiday or job? There are apparently other mythical beings (The Leprechaun, and at least one other I forget), why aren't they Guardians too? What does ANY ONE of their powers involve? Why does Santa have portal snowglobe things if he has his sleigh? What are the actual stakes involved here? Did the Sandman really die? How did Pitch's dark sparkly sand stuff "kill" him if it's just darkened versions of his own glowy golden sand stuff? What is even "death" to these things? What is Pitch? Is he the Boogeyman, or something else? They seem to indicate he gives kids fear, or bad dreams, or something, but what is the difference between him and Sandman, since I thought Sandman just made you sleep? Ok, Sandman is pretty badass, he was my favorite. What are those stone two-faced egg things in the Easter Bunny's warren? Why are eggs coming from flowers WITH CREEPY FUCKING LEGS?! Why did the Moon essentially ABDUCT a kid to turn him into a fairy tale creature, and then not tell him anything? Why isn't he upset when he finds out his past and it turns out he did have a family WHO ARE ALL NOW 300 YEARS DEAD?! Why is Jack Frost happy at the end and telling us to believe in the Moon, when it was just a deadbeat Dad to him?
  These and hundreds of other questions ran through my head as I watched it. Just a messy, poorly thought out movie, with really nice visuals.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13433 on: November 14, 2013, 08:14:51 PM »
I want to respond to this when I get a chance. The Avengers With Santa was awesome.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13434 on: November 14, 2013, 09:06:16 PM »
"The Ring" - I'd actually never seen this. Pretty solid. I really liked the visuals.

"Pi" - The strangest of Aronofsky's that I've seen. I thought it was a super interesting concept, but it got a little boring near the end.

"Fair Game" - I obviously only watched this because of How Did This Get Made, but it's worth watching if you like bad movies. Just absolutely crazy.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13435 on: November 14, 2013, 09:23:35 PM »
Rise of the Guardians - AAAARGH! This movie was so goddamn frustrating! There was not a moment in this movie that didn't add yet another question! Everything is so fucking vague. The movie itself looks very nice, but it is clear that everything is waaaaay overdesigned, and always moving fast to try to distract you from all the questions they don't answer.
  What is a Guardian? That does that title imply? Should they really keep showing us AFRICA on Santa's globe computer monitor thing if they are talking about protecting children?! What do they do other than what's related to their holiday or job? There are apparently other mythical beings (The Leprechaun, and at least one other I forget), why aren't they Guardians too? What does ANY ONE of their powers involve? Why does Santa have portal snowglobe things if he has his sleigh? What are the actual stakes involved here? Did the Sandman really die? How did Pitch's dark sparkly sand stuff "kill" him if it's just darkened versions of his own glowy golden sand stuff? What is even "death" to these things? What is Pitch? Is he the Boogeyman, or something else? They seem to indicate he gives kids fear, or bad dreams, or something, but what is the difference between him and Sandman, since I thought Sandman just made you sleep? Ok, Sandman is pretty badass, he was my favorite. What are those stone two-faced egg things in the Easter Bunny's warren? Why are eggs coming from flowers WITH CREEPY FUCKING LEGS?! Why did the Moon essentially ABDUCT a kid to turn him into a fairy tale creature, and then not tell him anything? Why isn't he upset when he finds out his past and it turns out he did have a family WHO ARE ALL NOW 300 YEARS DEAD?! Why is Jack Frost happy at the end and telling us to believe in the Moon, when it was just a deadbeat Dad to him?
  These and hundreds of other questions ran through my head as I watched it. Just a messy, poorly thought out movie, with really nice visuals.

Guardians are there to protect children's sense of wonderment and happiness. The title implies exactly what happens in the movie; belief in them wanes, but grows back in record numbers, hence the Rise. Africa's children are kinda getting the short end of the stick. The fact that they show Africa is because that's a place where everyone can identify that has hardships and poor children. I'm pretty sure you're SEEING in the movie what they're doing other than their specific mythical task. The Man in the Moon only selects those that he sees as worthy to be Guardians, which is why there are only the 5 of them. MITM is basically the Oracle of the Guardians Universe, and he's well respected by all mythical beings, hence why they follow him. Santa's Sleigh travels at fairly normal speed(for a flying sleigh, that is). His method of traveling all over the world IS the snowglobes. The actual stakes were pretty obvious, I thought; the goal was to keep children excited about things they didn't understand. The Guardians, plus the other mythological beings, are sustained by children's happiness and belief in them. The belief that those children have makes them happy, which fuels the supernatural people to FURTHER that belief. Sandman was pretty much trapped in an alternate universe created by Pitch. I'd think someone versed in comics would accept that kind of explanation. :P I think it's mentioned that Pitch is the boogeyman at least once during the film, but yeah, that's basically him. Fear embodied. Dark thoughts. Sadness. It explains perfectly why he's the arch nemesis of the Guardians, who represent Happiness and Hope. He actually had to tinker and play with the spells to master Sandman's sleep/dream power, and then play with even MORE to corrupt it. I believe he says something about how it took him a long time to master "his little trick." Why does where the eggs come from matter? It's a magic world, roll with it. The Moon's abduction for Jack was for his personal growth. He did a good thing, but he also was kinda irresponsible with regards to getting him into the situation. He needed to learn the lesson that fun and games are great, but you have to be mindful of your surroundings, lest you get into trouble. I didn't think his not being upset was that strange; he'd spent 300 years pondering that question, and when he finally got an answer, it gave him a lot of peace. As far as the Deadbeat Dad thing, The Man in the Moon just named him Sue and set him out to face the world.

I don't have a good recollection of the Easter Bunny's warren, but I remember enjoying it.

Not sure what the powers question is in regards to, specify and I'll elaborate:)

I really did enjoy the movie, and I've read none of the books. I'm sure someone here knows more about the lore in the Guardians universe than me. These are just the things that I'd gathered from the movie when I watched it a year ago. I haven't seen it since then.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13436 on: November 15, 2013, 05:51:23 AM »
Thanks for the answers. Each of those things I can recognize thinking back on the movie. I just felt frustrated being propelled through the world not given a breath , feeling like it was just taken for granted that I would be in awe and not ask any questions. I still find the movie frustrating.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13437 on: November 15, 2013, 06:53:35 AM »
High Plains Drifter

"WHOOOOO AAAAARRRRREEEEE YOOOOOOOOOU?!"

Still a fantastic western, unlike anything else before or since.  It starts off normal enough: a stranger comes to town and is hired to protect some townfolks from dangerous criminals... but things aren't all that they seem.  There's an edge to this one that's even nastier than anything Sergio Leone had come up with (Hell, the "hero" rapes a woman within the first 15 minutes) in which almost all of the characters are hypocrites or monsters (and in most cases, both).  Soon, the stranger is promised anything he wants as long as he protects the town, but what begins as indulgence takes stranger and stranger turns.  I don't want to give it away for those who aren't familiar, but it is a wild ride.  I think people know the title and most people think it's just another western.  It is something so much stranger than that.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/i1almB9zxX4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/i1almB9zxX4</a>

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 78
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
« Reply #13438 on: November 16, 2013, 03:07:59 PM »
CAPTAIN AMERICA (1979)
The Reb Brown film. Long, boring parts, but not too bad. Still the worst Captain America film, though. It doesn't have much if anything to do with the comics. I guess the real problem is the movie feels like one big introduction, rather than a real movie. What any other superhero film would do in a half hour this stretches it to 97 minutes.
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13439 on: November 16, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »
Elysium. It was interesting, but I don't know. I can't really tell if I liked it or not. It definitely wasn't subtle with it's message. It was a little goofy at points, especially when they do the whole hacking the system thing toward the end; deleting the word "ILLEGAL" and replacing it with "LEGAL" got a chuckle out of me. It's large action shots were beautiful, but it's fight scenes were really cluttered and messy, I think. There were a lot of story wholes, but I liked the characters enough that I didn't mind. Speaking of the characters, it passed my test for decent characters in a movie: I remember their names. Jodi Foster was terrifyingly horrible, as in the character, not the acting.