login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1539885 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3549
  • All joking a salad.
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12390 on: February 05, 2013, 09:33:48 AM »
The Impossible
Really a great film.  The movie wasn't as emotional as the trailer, but still pretty strong.  I didn't feel manipulated to feel emotion, and I think most other directors would have been really heavy handed with it.  I'm not saying it wasn't manipulating, just that I didn't feel it.  Naomi Watts is great.  I love Ewen, and I wish he would do more stuff like this.  This movie is worth watching.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 363
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #12391 on: February 05, 2013, 08:54:40 PM »
It's kind of like watching a This American Life story, so you will probably have a good idea from that if you will enjoy it or not.

I sorta wanted to see it, and now I know I'm going to quite enjoy it. At first it was because of the Oscar buzz and John Hawkes who is an amaaazing actor. The two-punch "Winter's Bone" and "Martha Marcy May Marlene" puts him in Philip Seymour Hoffman territory for me.

Just watched Undefeated (2011), the Best Documentary Oscar winner of last year about an inner-city high school football team. Very good. I welled up at least 3 different times. The coach is the best part. I don't care about football, but he showed me how important coaches can be in students' lives. Every other sentence from him is pure inspiration. About to watch Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Oh! And last night, the fiancée and I watched WarGames (her for the first time; mine for the millionth time). Still just as good as when I first saw it. She enjoyed it thoroughly as well. Every rewatch shows just how well it's written. Innocuous moments become set-ups for later stuff, etc. It doesn't age poorly because all the technology is (mostly) real, and the performances and story are totally believable. I really love it. Only other movie I can think of to do that is "Sneakers".
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:59:34 PM by stansimpson »

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12392 on: February 06, 2013, 11:40:54 AM »
Killer Joe

A very dark comedy.  Good story.  And Matthew McConaughey is alright, alright, alright.  Thomas Haden Church was awesome, as always.  And even Gina Gershon, she should do more movies.  You just don't see her enough.  I Really liked it.

McConaughey-hey-hey plays a Texas detective who moonlights as a contract killer.  It's quite perverted really, which is what I love about it.  The scene with the chicken drumstick is quite interesting. 

Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12393 on: February 06, 2013, 01:06:10 PM »
McConaughey kind of had an amazing year last year between that movie, Bernie, and Magic Mike (not to mention The Lincoln Lawyer the year before). Which I welcome with open arms. The dude's pretty damn talented, and it's about time folks stopped treating him like an easy rom-com punchline.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12394 on: February 06, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »
Needed a break from the mostly terrible or dull Oscars movies last night, so we rewatched Be Kind Rewind.

I love the movie, but it's also one of my wife's absolute favourite movies. Very inspiring and fun. I don't think it's Gondry's best film, but there's something about it that I just really love.

(I wish The We and the I would make its way to Blu Ray already!)
FINE

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #12395 on: February 06, 2013, 05:23:48 PM »
I enjoyed Be Kind Rewind, but it feels like three very different movies that somehow got meshed into one.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12396 on: February 06, 2013, 08:19:45 PM »
Nazis from the Center of the Earth - Uhhh...okay...this movie suffers from some SEVERE tonal shifts. At times it's goofy stuff we expect from an Asylum movie with this kind of title: shitty CGI, Hitler head in a jar with robot body, a Nazi flying saucer, guns that shoot blue photoeffects that erase people, starring Jake Busey. And then other times it goes to some seriously dark places. Faces being ripped off painfully, one character killed right away just for being Jewish, a skinless (and legless) man begging his friends to end his life, women presumably raped then killed for her organs, a pregnant woman's fetus being aborted violently. So they pull no punches here, and there is no doubt the Nazis are a real threat, I give them credit for that.
But, RIGHT AFTER the abortion scene is the reveal of the bad CGI robot with Hitler's head! The tonal whiplash in this movie is pretty bad. And the freaky part is that the messed up dark scenes feel like they are better made. Like that is what the filmmakers really wanted to make and were more interested in.  :speechless:

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12397 on: February 08, 2013, 04:16:03 AM »
Just saw The We and the I and I thought it was incredible.

If it isn't in my top five movies of 2013 then we will be having an amazing year for movies.

For the first 20 minutes or so, I wasn't that in to it, but the more the movie went on, the more I loved it. It's a slow burn, but it really worked for me.
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12398 on: February 08, 2013, 07:09:51 AM »
Argo.

*So* good.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12399 on: February 10, 2013, 10:17:16 PM »
1976's Who Can Kill a Child? (directed by Narciso Ibáñez Serrador) presents adisturbing vision of the apocalypse, in which a British couple expecting their first child vacation on a Spanish island where all of the adults appear to have been killed by the island's children. The moral dilemma is framed by the film's title. Could anyone kill a child if it was kill or be killed? For the most part, this is built in the vein of Children of the Corn and Village of the Damned, but it takes its premise to a far bleaker conclusion than either of those films.

The film starts with grave newsreel footage of the varied atrocities committed during the 20th Century, most of which disproportionately killed children, then follows it within the background of the main narrative with hints of a world spinning truly into chaos. Our heroes, played by Lewis Fiander and Prunella Ransome, are a blissfully unaware of the dire omens surrounding them, from the bodies washing up on the beach to the collapse of Thailand in a civil war. They almost seem like a pointed indictment of an indifferent bourgeoisie.

The island setting is ominous and, unusual for a horror movie, splashed in bright sunlight. This is one of those sunlit horror movies that acts as existential dreamscape and it's very creepy. Even creepier is the behavior of the children on this island. Their new way of "playing" seems completely natural, whether it's beating at a corpse hung up like a piñata or, more ominously, "willing" other children to join their games. The most disturbing instance of this passes without a hint of what's going on, until near the end of the movie, as a smiling girl feels the pregnant belly of our heroine. Later, in a scene of sublime nastiness, her unborn child attempts to kill her.

The title of the film is asked explicitly in the course of the movie. "Who can kill a child?" The movie corners it's protagonists into confronting this dilemma head on, and once there is an answer, the movie turns bracingly nihilistic.

This is one of the best horror movies of the 1970s.

In My Best Fiend (1999), Werner Herzog turns his camera mostly on himself, reminiscing about growing up and working with the inimitable Klaus Kinski. A fair amount of the footage is archival, however, and some of the most memorable stories were already seen/heard in Les Blank’s Burden of Dreams, making the movie somewhat redundant. There’s some strong archival footage of Kinski going ballistic, lashing out at live audiences on stage and colleagues on location, but the film has a curiously tame feeling to it. In light of which, Godard’s quip about every movie being a documentary of its own creation comes to mind. To see the real Kinski, one only has to watch him act.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #12400 on: February 15, 2013, 11:11:07 AM »
1976's Who Can Kill a Child?

I rented this on a whim a while back after hearing about the crazy shooting sequence at the end. I was rather surprised when the movie turned out to be as disturbing and unsettling as it was. You pretty much nailed how it works, from the sunny-yet-ominous locale to the creepy, creepy children (and they use said children in such a way that it still feels fresh to have them as they are, rather unlike most overplayed "these children will mess you up" movies). Definitely one of those great horror flicks from decades past that never seems to get mentioned enough.

Moving right along...

A Good Day to Die Hard. Bad. Bad bad bad, with a slice of terrible on the side. From the perspective of the Die Hard movies, it completely tosses out all semi-resemblance to the series (and it was already losing itself pretty fast after the dreadful Life Free or Die Hard). The characters are reduced to pieces of flesh that move from one set piece to the next (and devoid of any real personality), the quips are infrequent in number and even more infrequent in quality, the movie never really settles on who the bad guy is (and they're all empty and lame), and to top it all off, John McClane never shows up. I mean, yeah, Bruce Willis is there, and people occasionally refer to him as John McClane, but there's no way at all this character is the guy who was in the first one (or the second one, or even the third one). Moving away from the franchise, the movie also fails as a general action movie. Some of the car stunts are pretty solid, but it's all filmed so shaky and incoherently, with zero regard to pacing or any kind of sense of geography, that it all just washes over you. The plot rambles on for no reason, the set pieces just happen... really, the whole movie just happens. And it is dull and irritating for it. Avoid at all costs, and maybe we can avoid a sixth entry that will invariably push this franchise even further into the ground.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12401 on: February 15, 2013, 12:39:23 PM »
The review on the radio driving to work this morning I think was only 1 star.  Even the trailer that's playing all over the place looks like shit.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #12402 on: February 15, 2013, 02:24:14 PM »
Beast of the Southern Wild

I was obligated to watch it because I'm from Louisiana. It had some cool visual elements, and I thought the acting was good. The story didn't do it for me though. Just kind of so-so.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #12403 on: February 15, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »

I was obligated to watch it because I'm from Louisiana. It had some cool visual elements, and I thought the acting was good. The story didn't do it for me though. Just kind of so-so.

That's a movie that seems to only really work if it connects with someone on an emotional level (didn't quite make it for me). Otherwise it just leaves you hanging.

The little girl does some amazing work either way, however.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12404 on: February 15, 2013, 04:14:29 PM »

That's a movie that seems to only really work if it connects with someone on an emotional level (didn't quite make it for me). Otherwise it just leaves you hanging.

The little girl does some amazing work either way, however.

I've been wondering if I should rent this, think I'll wait till it's on Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming.  After all I've read about it and those comments I don't know if it's something I would like.