Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582652 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12375 on: January 31, 2013, 08:00:53 AM »
Amour
The story of an older couple dealing with the failing health of the woman.  This movie is very brutal.  It is full of so many uncomfortable or disturbing moments, and the scene just goes on and on.  You're forced to endure these moments, and you can't leave (unless you leave, I guess).  The camera also sits far away from what's going on, so it makes you feel like a voyeur.  I don't know if you're supposed to feel pity, or love, or anger.  I don't know.....I'll have to think about it some more.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 526
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12376 on: January 31, 2013, 11:35:01 AM »
The Birds is a mystery, but it's more elemental, and more daring in the sense that it isn't solved. It has a remarkable economy of means: this movie doesn't need character motivations, doesn't have much use for dialogue -- it even does away with a musical score, allowing the diegetic sounds of the bay and the birds to form a more immersive sound in its place. It strips so much away that it turns into a kind of epistemological mystery, forcing us to question what and how we know what we know.

Why do the birds attack? At first it seems to have some bearing on the psychosexual dynamics of the human characters: overbearing mother doesn't want grown son fraternizing with attractive woman, and the bird attacks seem almost like a manifestation of the mother's confused feelings of fear and jealousy, like the brood of mutant children that go murdering everyone whenever their human mother feels anger in The Brood. But unlike in Cronenberg's film, there is no one-to-one, cause-and-effect relationship between the bird attacks and the psychosexual dynamics. Even once the mother starts liking, or at least trusting Tippi Hedren, the bird attacks continue, exacerbating in severity like a rolling boulder gathering momentum. The humans end up sealing themselves in cages just like the lovebirds, focusing on the what and forgetting about the why, but Hitchcock doesn't let us off that easily, dangling the mystery in front of us while refusing to solve it.

But the bird attacks are something of a red herring anyway. The real mystery is Tippi Hedren. Who is this woman? What provokes her to lay this elaborate if kind practical joke with the lovebirds in the first place? Her chance encounter with a deceptive stranger in the bird store is the flimsiest of premises, a flirtatious hint of what motivates her but nothing more. More than any of Hitchcock's other actresses, Tippi Hedren has the mystique and the allure of the icy blonde in spades. Her joking nature indicates her manipulativeness, her knowledge of her power, her ability to requisition any favor from men with a simple thank you and a gleaming smile. She is unfathomable to Hitchcock, and in return the birds are unfathomable to us.

Why do the birds attack? Because Hitchcock wants them to. As one paranoid woman points out, the bird attacks are all centered around Hedren, from the first solo gull that clips her forehead to the climactic onslaught in the attic. The scene in which she enters the upstairs room and is assaulted by countless birds is a virtual remake of the shower scene in Psycho, with bird beaks penetrating her bloody body instead of a knife. Actually, in both cases, it's Hitchcock's editing that violates these women: cinema as a vicarious form of sexual assault. This is the dark (but brilliant) side of Hitchcock.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12377 on: January 31, 2013, 08:31:13 PM »
I also watched a Hitchcock film last night - To Catch a Thief.

I bought the Blu Ray super cheap, and it had sat on the shelf for a while, but when we put it on last night, we realized we hadn't seen it before! This is very unusual for us and Hitchcock's films (well, after he started making talkies)

I had it mixed up with another film (which now I can't remember the name of)

Anyway, no, it's not his best film and the reveals in the film are really very obvious, but it was still a real treat to see a new Hitchcock, and the transfer is incredible too.

Grace Kelly was really great in it.
FINE

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #12378 on: February 03, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »
-The Battle of Algiers. Slow at times, but excellent overall. It's amazing how relevant this film is today.

-Inland Empire. I consider myself a David Lynch fan, but this film was too much for even me. It's a wild, bizarre (not to mention long) nightmare. It was an interesting film to experience though and I would like to watch it again. I think a second viewing would help me to appreciate it more.

Also HOLY FUCK THIS IS THE SCARIEST MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN!!!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12379 on: February 03, 2013, 03:46:40 PM »
Joe vs. the Volcano - I liked it. It's a lot more styalized (especially at the beginning) than I remember seeing it as a kid.

Although maybe "away from the things of man" shouldn't be the last line in your movie when YOUR LUGGAGE SAVED YOU TWICE!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5178
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12380 on: February 04, 2013, 07:08:08 AM »
The Raid - Redemption

I really liked this.  As promised, this is action scene after action scene, but it was really well done.  I think what I loved is that while it lived up to it's promise, there's a lot more art to it than Crank.  I liked Crank, but that was clearly the creators throwing everything at the wall to see what stuck.  The Raid feels much more constructed, not only in terms of the very well-done action scenes, but also in terms of the plot.  Now it's easy to say that it's a plotless movie and what little is left is cliched, but in terms of the journey and the ride it's very well done.  Yes, it's action heavy, but it is also suspense heavy.  It feels much like a John Carpenter movie in terms of both tension and attitude, particularly like Assault on Precinct 13 (in fact, it's really a reversal of that) and Escape from New York.  The main character is seemingly unstoppable, but it makes sure to puts him in situations that put him in danger that isn't just solved with punching, but also requires John McClane style improvisation and still doesn't prevent him from getting fucked up.  The hidden wall scene is great (yeah, we've seen it before, but I thought it was well shot and set the machete gang up as a real threat) and I really liked that we had a protagonist that spent as much time escaping as kicking ass.

Also, can Gareth Evans PLEASE do a remake of The Warriors.  I always found that movie disappointing despite a great premise and strong atmosphere and I think it's one of those cult movies that would make for a good remake.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12381 on: February 04, 2013, 10:02:31 AM »
Oscar Animated & Live Action Shorts

Animated

Adam and Dog – Minkyu Lee: A depiction of the first man (and eventually woman) before and after the first recorded act of divine prickishness by Yahweh. Beautifully animated and tenderly portraying the dedication and love that a dog shows in contrast to that shown by the reversed spelling.

Fresh Guacamole – PES: Glad it was nominated, it’s very clever and I’ve watched it a bunch of time, first time I’ve seen it on the big screen though, might be a bit short for contention though.

Head Over Heels – Timothy Reckart and Fodhla Cronin O'Reilly: Meh, ok stop frame I suppose, rather dull story and character design though, pretty sentimental so it might be in with a chance.

The Longest Daycare – David Silverman: Funny and all but it’s a Simpsons cartoon, might have been noce to have found another nominee instead.

Paperman – John Kahrs: Another meh, lovely to look at (and Disney really do know how to design a cute brunette) but the story is boring and I found it unaffecting. I also wondered if bloke's first line was “Well, I’m out of a job but we can’t ignore crazy happenstance, fancy a shag?”

Live Action

Asad – Bryan Buckley and Mino Jarjoura: Nice, well done and harrowing but levened somewhat at the end, great performances all round and probably one of two likely winners.

Buzkashi Boys – Sam French and Ariel Nasr: likely winner number two, a nice short drama, probably the better realized between this and Asad, concerning the nature of glamour and excitement versus duty and regularity with a few scenes of the game that would become, or has a common ancestor with, the sport of choice for British aristos and those with pretensions to being a British aristo (Buzkashi is far more interesting than Polo though).

Curfew – Shawn Christensen: Utter pants, though the little girl probably has a career ahead of her. Kept thinking of the death of Petronius throughout the thing and they almost did that but then averted it.

Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw) – Tom Van Avermaet and Ellen De Waele: My favourite, it could win but I have my doubts, definitely the most entertaining being as it is a steampunk infused fantasy story about a bargain with death and second chances. I’d really like to see more in the same vein from the makers of this, but I love steapunk so I’m rather biased.

Henry – Yan England: This was probably the most moving of the shorts and might win if Amour does well and then it’ll be Oscars for the Aged since it deals with the indignities of, I’m going to assume Alzheimer’s because the portrayal didn't really fit normal age related dementia. Lots of sniffling sounds around in the auditorium at the end of this one. If you have tears you’ll probably shed some and if you are inclined to it you might find yourself stopping off at your usual herbal medicine supplier to pick up whatever has replaced ginko as the wonder plant to stave off dementia these days, by far the scariest of the shorts.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:17:37 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12382 on: February 04, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »
Where did you see these?

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12383 on: February 04, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »
A couple theater chains have marathons of all the nominations like that close to the awards show (I know all the Landmark Theaters do up in SF).

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12384 on: February 04, 2013, 10:16:35 AM »
It was part of that, specifically it was shown at the Detroit Film Theatre which is part of the museum I help out at from time to time. They're showing the short docs next weekend but I'll be in San Francisco so I'll miss those.

Gunflyer

« Reply #12385 on: February 04, 2013, 12:10:14 PM »
Pod People - It Stinks.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12386 on: February 04, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
Pod People - It Stinks.
Without riffs?

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12387 on: February 04, 2013, 04:24:18 PM »
I've seen it unfiffed

Its not too bad.  Because you have Joel and the bots voices in your head the whole time.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12388 on: February 04, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
The Sessions. Well, when the Oscars were announced, I think this was the movie I was most convinced I'd hate. And I am surprised to say we actually thought it was really good. Everyone in it was great - I think John Hawkes deserved a nomination too.

It's kind of like watching a This American Life story, so you will probably have a good idea from that if you will enjoy it or not.
FINE

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #12389 on: February 04, 2013, 10:04:20 PM »
The Devil's Advocate

Dude...I don't even...

I love Keanu. I guess I...liked the movie? I hate that they concluded with one of the most tired tropes of all time. I guess I appreciate that it's a properly insane movie and it embraces it whole-heartedly.