login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582661 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12255 on: January 14, 2013, 02:52:28 PM »
Yes you do; and you're good at discussing genre theory and character development in romance fiction. You also watch it.

There's nothing wrong with romance fiction; there's nothing wrong with any genre. :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:54:33 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12256 on: January 14, 2013, 03:42:17 PM »
I watched a little known, obscure film entitled Gone with the Wind. I liked some aspects of it. It was a beautiful, very well made movie. But as far as the characters of Scarlett and Rhett Butler... I just didn't like either of them, like at all. Scarlett drove me nuts with her constant whining, her "woe is me" behavior throughout the bulk of the film, and I couldn't see much humanity in the character of Rhett. I frankly just have a hard time watching a film when I can't really relate to any of the characters at all. I don't really understand them at all. I admit you could chalk that up to a failing on the part of my generation not being very well-cultured or something. I liked the film, oh most assuredly... but I just cannot picture myself ever watching it again. :(

I completely disagree. First of all, Scarlett is pretty whiny, but so are A LOT of people....and to call her whiny after she had her home and lifestyle destroyed...what should she do? The fact that she picks herself up and comes back as the head of the household shows how amazingly strong she is. Scarlett is a little girl thrown into roles she was not prepared for. It is amazing that despite being whiny and spoiled in the first place, she rises up instead of crumpling like a twig under the pressure.

And I adore Rhett Butler. He might be a jackass, but he has no reservations about it. He was smart enough to see that the Southern ideal was a joke and impossible to remain once the war started, then he used the North to make his money.

Scarlett: But you are a blockade runner.
Rhett Butler: For profit, and profit only.
Scarlett: Are you tryin' to tell me you don't believe in the cause?
Rhett Butler: I believe in Rhett Butler, he's the only cause I know.

I LOVE IT!
They both sound like horrible people who get where they want to go by stepping on others. They deserve to starve to death.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12257 on: January 14, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »
Paranorman

Really didn't expect much, but really enjoyed it.  Good story.  Beautiful animation, kinda old-school.  You can tell just by watching it how much work went into this.

10 Years

Another Channing Tatum movie.  I liked it.   About a 10 year high school reunion.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Gunflyer

« Reply #12258 on: January 14, 2013, 04:17:48 PM »
I completely disagree. First of all, Scarlett is pretty whiny, but so are A LOT of people....and to call her whiny after she had her home and lifestyle destroyed...what should she do? The fact that she picks herself up and comes back as the head of the household shows how amazingly strong she is. Scarlett is a little girl thrown into roles she was not prepared for. It is amazing that despite being whiny and spoiled in the first place, she rises up instead of crumpling like a twig under the pressure.
But I didn't get the sense that she changed at all before and after all the events at Tara. In the end She's just as messed up in the head at the end as she was near the beginning of the film. If I'm being honest I've got to say that Rhett is no different at the beginning than he was at the end of the film. Except for the couple's affections for their daughter, I get absolutely no sense of humanity between the two at all. I don't get the sense that their love is so much out of genuine affection as it is a mutually beneficial arrangement. Their love, their romance, the story as a result ends up leaving me cold and unfulfilled. It feels like I've just watched the crumbling fantasy of a naive child. In the end, it feels far more tragic than glorious.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12259 on: January 14, 2013, 04:18:21 PM »
Watched as much of Le Mis as my wife and I could stomach. (Just over half an hour)

I am glad you all enjoyed it, but when we got to that point and we realized we were only a fifth of the way through, we had to bail.
FINE

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12260 on: January 14, 2013, 04:32:37 PM »
Watched as much of Le Mis as my wife and I could stomach. (Just over half an hour)

I am glad you all enjoyed it, but when we got to that point and we realized we were only a fifth of the way through, we had to bail.

Is this the currently-in-theaters Les Mis? Because I sat through that with my Mom yesterday. The music and singing was generally lovely, but holy heck does it need to ease way up on the closeups. Felt like I was getting my face smooshed up against theirs for three hours.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12261 on: January 14, 2013, 04:34:39 PM »

Is there a version of Les Mis that you have liked, or was it a new experience?

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12262 on: January 14, 2013, 04:41:04 PM »

Is this the currently-in-theaters Les Mis? Because I sat through that with my Mom yesterday. The music and singing was generally lovely, but holy heck does it need to ease way up on the closeups. Felt like I was getting my face smooshed up against theirs for three hours.

Yeah, the current one. We thought a lot of the singing was awful (RUSSELL CROWE), only made worse by how terrible the line are.

Is there a version of Les Mis that you have liked, or was it a new experience?

Nope, first time.

I do have a solution for fixing the movie:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12263 on: January 14, 2013, 05:28:04 PM »
Are you normally a fan of musicals? My interest in them stops in the mid-50s, so I wouldn't go see this one for that reason alone.

I love some musicals, but generally of the Muppet/Disney style. Never liked a movie/show that is 100% singing, but like scenes with songs between.

We also hated Sweeney Todd.
FINE

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #12264 on: January 14, 2013, 06:08:41 PM »

Offline LuvBJones

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 43
  • Dairy Council took my thumbs
« Reply #12265 on: January 14, 2013, 07:09:46 PM »
Are you normally a fan of musicals? My interest in them stops in the mid-50s, so I wouldn't go see this one for that reason alone.

I love some musicals, but generally of the Muppet/Disney style. Never liked a movie/show that is 100% singing, but like scenes with songs between.

Was it the Tim Burton movie version you hated? Because there wasn't actually any singing in it, just sort of open mouths with lyrics trying to come out. I suggest you give it a try with real singers. There's a DVD of a recital performance with Patti Lupone. Made this my FAVORITE musical.l
WARNING: In case of Rapture, this dance belt will be unoccupied.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12266 on: January 14, 2013, 07:20:44 PM »

Was it the Tim Burton movie version you hated? Because there wasn't actually any singing in it, just sort of open mouths with lyrics trying to come out. I suggest you give it a try with real singers. There's a DVD of a recital performance with Patti Lupone. Made this my FAVORITE musical.l

Yeah, it was the Burton version. I can't imagine seeking out another version though...

I only watched as much of Le Mis as I did because my wife and I always do our best to see all of the Oscar nominated movies before the Oscars as we can, and then watch the show. It's dumb, but it's a tradition we've had ever since we met.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:23:08 PM by Edward J Grug III »
FINE

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #12267 on: January 15, 2013, 09:42:21 AM »
I watched a little known, obscure film entitled Gone with the Wind. I liked some aspects of it. It was a beautiful, very well made movie. But as far as the characters of Scarlett and Rhett Butler... I just didn't like either of them, like at all. Scarlett drove me nuts with her constant whining, her "woe is me" behavior throughout the bulk of the film, and I couldn't see much humanity in the character of Rhett. I frankly just have a hard time watching a film when I can't really relate to any of the characters at all. I don't really understand them at all. I admit you could chalk that up to a failing on the part of my generation not being very well-cultured or something. I liked the film, oh most assuredly... but I just cannot picture myself ever watching it again. :(

And I adore Rhett Butler. He might be a jackass, but he has no reservations about it. He was smart enough to see that the Southern ideal was a joke and impossible to remain once the war started, then he used the North to make his money.

Scarlett: But you are a blockade runner.
Rhett Butler: For profit, and profit only.
Scarlett: Are you tryin' to tell me you don't believe in the cause?
Rhett Butler: I believe in Rhett Butler, he's the only cause I know.

I LOVE IT!
They both sound like horrible people who get where they want to go by stepping on others. They deserve to starve to death.

What a black and white way to view the situation
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12268 on: January 15, 2013, 10:09:47 AM »
Yes GWTW isn't everyone's cup of tea but Mitchell did a good job imbuing fairly stock characters with depth and complexity. The film does a similar job; there's a lot of meat on the trope bones so to speak. People don't have to like the film/book but it's a film/book that has a lot to enjoy if it appeals to a person.

Ann likes GWTW a fair amount though she doesn't really like the central couple (she does however own a perfectly creepy Scarlett jack-in-the-box that plays Tara's Theme when you crank the handle).

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12269 on: January 15, 2013, 02:08:02 PM »
Southern settings aren't my cup of tea.

O Brother, Where Art Thou?