login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1526623 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2569
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12075 on: December 07, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
Have you seen or (recommended more highly) read Hogfather?

It, like all things Pratchett, is on my to-read list. I will get to it at some point, I'm just not sure when (the shear size of the Discworld series intimidates me somewhat).

That's one where I thought the movie and book are both fantastic.  Can't say the same for the rest of the movies, although Going Postal came close.  I saw all the movies first and then read the books, wish I had read the books first for all except Hogfather.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12076 on: December 07, 2012, 09:40:57 AM »
I really like the theo-philosophical ones so Hogfather is really high on my list of favourites.

Going Postal is my favourite of the adaptations though the Golem are a bit off, but I'm not sure what they could have done differently there. Spike was definitely worth tuning in for and the general feel of it has an authenticity that I didn't find in the others.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 10:53:16 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3541
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12077 on: December 07, 2012, 09:52:44 AM »
Did you guys like Arthur Christmas.  I thought it looked horrible, but I actually really liked it.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12078 on: December 07, 2012, 09:58:36 AM »
Never heard of it. That was true of this Guardians thing until this morning actually. :)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12079 on: December 07, 2012, 10:02:26 AM »
Did you guys like Arthur Christmas.  I thought it looked horrible, but I actually really liked it.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, a very sweet and earnest holiday film (albeit one that's pretty much impossible to watch in any month besides December). But then, I've found that Aardman is pretty consistent with delivery a quality product.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12080 on: December 07, 2012, 10:13:35 AM »
Have you seen or (recommended more highly) read Hogfather?

It, like all things Pratchett, is on my to-read list. I will get to it at some point, I'm just not sure when (the shear size of the Discworld series intimidates me somewhat).

That's one where I thought the movie and book are both fantastic.  Can't say the same for the rest of the movies, although Going Postal came close.  I saw all the movies first and then read the books, wish I had read the books first for all except Hogfather.

The Hogfather movie was good, not great. The douchebag Teatime kind of ruined it, and I'm not really a David Jason person it turns out.  Going Postal was my favorite of the lot.

The book, however, is marvelous. It's one I have to force myself not to read every year.

The awesomeness of Michelle Dockery and Ian Richardson make the Hogfather movie my favorite.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12081 on: December 07, 2012, 11:39:25 AM »
I prefer Christopher Lee to Richardson, which leaves Dockery being about the only good thing in that adaptation.  I mean it was neat to see on screen and all, but Tripe nailed it on Going Postal. I hope we still get to see Making Money someday, Coyle was great as Moist.

We'll never know but I question if Lee would have had the right tone for the speech at the cliff, I thought Richardson nailed that perfectly.

I think reading the book lowered my rating on the adaptation of Going Postal a bit, putting it under Hogfather, it wasn't until after reading the book I had the same feeling as you guys about the Golem(s?).  (is Golem naturally plural?)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12082 on: December 07, 2012, 11:57:55 AM »
Okay see I'm of the opinion that it's a natural plural; Traditionally the buggers are solitary creations and a closer rendering into English of the Hebrew plural (based on the rendering of the singular, a phonetic, ish, rendering, since I don't know if the symbols work here, would be Glem or Glim) would be Golemin and that's better than simply bolting an S on the end but still sort of inelegant.

I agree there is much missing from the book in the adaptation of Going Postal, still I hope the upcoming Watch series (if it's actually happening) is a development from the style and approach Going Postal more than anything else.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:08:07 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12083 on: December 08, 2012, 06:49:21 AM »
Moonrise Kingdom

Good movie, shot beautifully

Just reminds me how awesome Bill Murray and Bruce Willis are.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #12084 on: December 08, 2012, 08:37:25 PM »
Tarantula is on TV now. Great B movie.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12085 on: December 08, 2012, 08:51:59 PM »
Sleepwalk with Me
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #12086 on: December 08, 2012, 10:36:48 PM »
Men In Black 3

I never would have watched this on my own, but a friend rented it and invited me over. I will say, it's not a bad movie. Definitely better than the second. I loved the attention to detail...the production designers did a great job.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #12087 on: December 09, 2012, 06:29:41 AM »
Sleepwalk with Me
And? Were you already a fan of Birbigs or did you see it for some other reason? He's my favourite comedian by a long shot, so I loved it. Kinda curious to see what people that aren't familiar with his stand up and sleepwalking condition thought of it.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12088 on: December 09, 2012, 05:51:14 PM »
The Dark Knight Rises

Liked it.  I think it might hold up to repeat viewing a bit better than the previous one. 

Although it suffered from the same problem as Skyfall, way too slow setting up act 3, I was almost tempted to hit the fast forward button a few times there.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12089 on: December 09, 2012, 06:27:49 PM »
Sleepwalk with Me
And? Were you already a fan of Birbigs or did you see it for some other reason? He's my favourite comedian by a long shot, so I loved it. Kinda curious to see what people that aren't familiar with his stand up and sleepwalking condition thought of it.

I liked it a lot, I knew a bit about it from his interview on Nerdist but I was still expecting more of a traditional 'low key indie romcom' so was surprised by how actually funny it was.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)