Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1524578 times)

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 126
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12060 on: December 05, 2012, 10:22:24 AM »
Pump up the Volume

Found it for $5 at FYE.  Still a good movie, but its like what, 20 years old now?  I can't help but wonder what Mark and Nora would be like now days.  Probably married with teens they just don't understand.  And the teens are completely miserable and aimless.

That's the circle of life man.

That movie was filmed at my high school, which is why I remember it.  Will never forget watching it at a friend's house and suddenly realizing "My God, that place looks REALLY familiar..."
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12061 on: December 05, 2012, 03:47:59 PM »
Mommie Dearest

Another $5 FYE find.

I really like this movie, and not as a camp classic.  Sure, it has its funny moments "No Wire Hangers!" makes me giggle, its so over the top.  But I think its done fairly well.  The version I got had a commentary by John Waters.  Love me some John Waters.

Spies Like Us

Yet another $5 FYE find.  They got a deal going, buy three used movies and get one free.  I got a bunch.  And they all play wonderfully.    Didn't realize it at the time but the guy in Mommie Dearest is also in Spies like Us, the General.  Don't know his name.

Anyway, still makes me laugh.

Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3541
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12062 on: December 06, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »
I'm going to see Warm Bodies tonight.  I'll let you know if it's worth checking out.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #12063 on: December 07, 2012, 06:16:24 AM »
Take This Waltz
and shove it.

Just catching up, but this made me giggle this morning.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #12064 on: December 07, 2012, 06:29:12 AM »
Sort of watched Pixar's Brave earlier this week. I say sort of because I started watching and then lost interest when it appeared to be just another one of Disney's "I'm a sassy princess and my parents just don't understand me!" threadbare plots. Really got annoyed when the princess went to a witch to turn her mother into a bear and then insisted that it wasn't her fault and her mother was just kind of overreacting. If that changed by the end of the movie, I don't know.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12065 on: December 07, 2012, 06:33:57 AM »
lost interest when it appeared to be just another one of Disney's "I'm a sassy princess and my parents just don't understand me!" threadbare plots.
Exactly the reason Ann has no interest in it. I guess you can never tell people that little girls are just as capable of being whatever they want too many times or something.

Megamind is still the best CGI feature I've seen of late (so it's been a bit fallow since then).

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12066 on: December 07, 2012, 07:49:50 AM »
And everyone seems to be too busy to give Rise of the Guardians the time of day, which is too bad, as it really is quite good.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3541
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12067 on: December 07, 2012, 08:20:43 AM »
And everyone seems to be too busy to give Rise of the Guardians the time of day, which is too bad, as it really is quite good.

Everyone was really excited for it until it actually came out, then the excitement just went away.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 08:24:17 AM by Kete »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12068 on: December 07, 2012, 08:45:31 AM »
The spirit of winter, Jack Frost (Chris Pine), describes how he came to be hundreds of years ago, lifted from the ice by the Man in the Moon, and has been invisible ever since because people don't believe in him. At the North Pole, North, better known as Santa Claus (Alec Baldwin), is alerted that Pitch, the Bogeyman (Jude Law), has returned and is threatening childhood with fear. After summoning fellow Guardians the Tooth Fairy (Tooth) (Isla Fisher), the Easter Bunny (E. Aster Bunnymund) (Hugh Jackman) and the Sandman (Sandy), North learns from the Man in the Moon that they are to induct Jack as their new member. Jack is brought to North's headquarters and they attempt to swear him in. Jack, frustrated by centuries of isolation caused by children's disbelief in him, declines to join. Regardless, North persuades him to cooperate for now by explaining their mission and the looming threat of Pitch.

Just sounds naff.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12069 on: December 07, 2012, 08:47:58 AM »

Guillermo and the guys who made 'How to Train your Dragon'?  I'd be surprised if it wasn't good.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #12070 on: December 07, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »
The spirit of winter, Jack Frost (Chris Pine), describes how he came to be hundreds of years ago, lifted from the ice by the Man in the Moon, and has been invisible ever since because people don't believe in him. At the North Pole, North, better known as Santa Claus (Alec Baldwin), is alerted that Pitch, the Bogeyman (Jude Law), has returned and is threatening childhood with fear. After summoning fellow Guardians the Tooth Fairy (Tooth) (Isla Fisher), the Easter Bunny (E. Aster Bunnymund) (Hugh Jackman) and the Sandman (Sandy), North learns from the Man in the Moon that they are to induct Jack as their new member. Jack is brought to North's headquarters and they attempt to swear him in. Jack, frustrated by centuries of isolation caused by children's disbelief in him, declines to join. Regardless, North persuades him to cooperate for now by explaining their mission and the looming threat of Pitch.

Just sounds naff.

That's how I felt before I saw it! Synopsis, the art style, the title, everything about it seems to be the whole lame, pandering, 'typical' Dreamworks stuff that just makes me cringe. But I actually watched it, and found it to be remarkably well put together, quite funny, touching, and even a little deep. I was stunned how much I liked it.

Definitely liked it more than Brave, and I'm one of those people who thought Brave was pretty good (if having the misfortune of being made by the one company where "pretty good" apparently doesn't cut it).

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12071 on: December 07, 2012, 08:57:23 AM »
Have you seen or (recommended more highly) read Hogfather?

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #12072 on: December 07, 2012, 09:09:55 AM »

It, like all things Pratchett, is on my to-read list. I will get to it at some point, I'm just not sure when (the shear size of the Discworld series intimidates me somewhat).

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2565
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12073 on: December 07, 2012, 09:10:18 AM »
Definitely liked it more than Brave, and I'm one of those people who thought Brave was pretty good (if having the misfortune of being made by the one company where "pretty good" apparently doesn't cut it).

I also liked a lot of Brave, thought the waring clans were hilarious, mom as a bear was also pretty funny.  The "answering machine" left by the witch was great.  But I could see people being turned off by the annoying aspects of the princess, just too bad people latched onto that and couldn't enjoy the other parts.

If a movie has one annoying aspect I can usually ignore it, as long as other aspects are good enough. 

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12074 on: December 07, 2012, 09:11:27 AM »

It, like all things Pratchett, is on my to-read list. I will get to it at some point, I'm just not sure when (the shear size of the Discworld series intimidates me somewhat).

You might want to move up it the list while this film is still fresh in your mind.