Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582714 times)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11730 on: October 03, 2012, 12:58:04 PM »
Dark Shadows

Eh...on the fence with this.  Had such anticipation.  Even bought the DVD/Blu Ray combo so that when I got my Blu Ray player I would have it, and the Blu Ray extras seem cool, I'll watch them someday.  Kinda disappointed, but there are some good parts.  Thought the sex scene was funny.  And sexy.  And Chloe Grace Moretz was good.

It was hard for me to watch that woman who played Victoria, she looked too much like an animated Tim Burton character.  I hope he did this in purpose.  And the ending was pretty obvious.

Austin Powers International Man of Mystery

Still awesome all these years later.  Mike Meyers at the top of his game and the best spy spoof ever.  Well maybe except Top Secret.

Wonder if Top Secret is on Director's Cut Unrated Special Edition DVD yet?  Gonna go check...
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #11731 on: October 03, 2012, 01:08:45 PM »
I received Tintin well.  My 3D copy can attest.

However, the last movie I saw isn't doing all that well here OR overseas.  Saw it tonight.

Dredd.

If you have a weak stomach when it comes to face-related violence, than you probably won't like it.  Which is a shame, since it's awesome, awesome, awesome.  Even having seen The Raid and worrying it would be the same movie...no, no it isn't.  They're both excellent in very different ways.  And after the bland horror movie I sat through earlier today, it's nice to see a film that is incredibly memorable.

Were you watching both for Mike T. site?

No, Dredd was just to watch it.  I just keep up with the box office numbers for the site, and that's how I know it's not doing as well as I would like.  I think it cost around $50 million to make, and worldwide it hasn't even made half that, last time I checked.

And yes, I meant violence specifically to the face.  And there's MUCH worse than the slo-mo cheek segment, but to say more would spoil things.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #11732 on: October 04, 2012, 03:36:01 PM »
I saw Dredd in an empty theater and liked it a lot.  Actually I'm really surprised this film has flopped here in the US because I thought it had what modern audiences want: a decent story, a lot of action, gory violence, morbid humor and a good pace.  I haven't read a lot of Judge Dredd comics, but from what I have read Urban nailed Dredd.  And he kept the helmet on all the time, which was true to the character.  I also liked the effect of the slo-mo drug.  I wonder, though.  If you took another hit of slo-mo while on slo-mo, would that stretch time out even further?  A second could take a seeming eternity to pass.

The best part was having nobody in the theater.  No nitwits texting or checking their cell phones every five seconds, no loudmouths talking, no people munching loudly like pigs on their popcorn and nachos.  I could really get used to seeing films all alone in a theater.

I'd recommend seeing it, but it'll probably be gone from theaters soon (if it's not already).  In that case, I'd recommend checking it out when it appears on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11733 on: October 04, 2012, 06:34:19 PM »
You know, I never see people on their phones in theaters. Maybe I don't go to them enough or to the right shows or something, but that's never actually been an issue that I've encountered.

Knock wood.

I have seen it here, fairly often. It's super frustrating.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11734 on: October 04, 2012, 06:37:15 PM »
You know, I never see people on their phones in theaters. Maybe I don't go to them enough or to the right shows or something, but that's never actually been an issue that I've encountered.

Knock wood.

I have seen it here, fairly often. It's super frustrating.

Do you notice it more in any particular setting or type of movie?

Not really, no.

The last time it happened to us it was at the one cinema that plays arthouse films, but it happens all the time. We just try to go when there will be few people in the cinema.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11735 on: October 04, 2012, 06:41:28 PM »
Yeah. I am actually more likely to go to the movies to see a film I don't care about than a film I do these days :P
FINE

Zombie Monty

« Reply #11736 on: October 04, 2012, 06:45:43 PM »
That's why I stay home whenever possible and just wait for home video or HBO to watch 99.9% of the movies I watch.  Can't stand ignorant people that do stuff like that.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11737 on: October 04, 2012, 06:51:01 PM »
It's sometimes frustrating to do that in Australia, because at times we can have bizarre delays between stuff coming out, and sometimes you go and see a thing before the inevitable spoilers/jokes etc do the rounds on the internet.

It's especially bad with independent movies, which are almost always on DVD/Blu Ray in the US/UK before they even get a cinematic release here.

I had to stop listening to a few podcasts when Cabin in the Woods came out in the US. :P

But it has been getting better in the last few years.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11738 on: October 04, 2012, 07:39:46 PM »
With the internet (and piracy) the massive delays in release dates makes no sense anymore.

Completely agree.
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11739 on: October 04, 2012, 10:46:25 PM »
With the internet (and piracy) the massive delays in release dates makes no sense anymore.

Completely agree.

Yeah, it's not like there are many 2nd run theaters any more to protect.  Once it's out of the first run theaters seems like it would make more sense to release the disc right away while the marketing is still fresh.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11740 on: October 04, 2012, 10:56:46 PM »

Completely agree.

Yeah, it's not like there are many 2nd run theaters any more to protect.  Once it's out of the first run theaters seems like it would make more sense to release the disc right away while the marketing is still fresh.

It's so frustrating when you try to have this conversation and you get "well that's just today's 'I want it now culture' you can get media much quicker and easier now than you used to but that's still not good enough for some people"  to which my response is always: No, that's not good enough.  Information can be transferred almost instantly or made availiable worldwide now, so what is the point of waiting?  the potential/reality of piracy just makes it even dumber that they set online content for certain regions or delay release dates.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Online Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11741 on: October 05, 2012, 07:55:15 AM »

Completely agree.

We still have a few in Salt Lake City.  I think they last because Utahns are cheap.  There's a really nice one by my house that offers 3D.  I usually go there when I want to take the kids to see something in 3D, but don't want to pay the high price.  It's only about $3 or $4.

Coragale

« Reply #11742 on: October 05, 2012, 10:49:21 AM »
I'm generally too poor to go to the theater. If it's something that I really want to see, I'll go to the regular one, but if I wanted to see it, but not 8 bucks see it, I'll wait until it's at the Picture Show. Love that place.

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
« Reply #11743 on: October 05, 2012, 02:22:28 PM »
Spider Baby
Carnival of Souls

and

Bride of Frankenstein
Dracula

Both films were part of double features. The first was so much fun. I had a blast. I saw Spider Baby and Carnival of Souls in 35mm and they looked stunning. Bride of Franenkstein and Dracula were digital productions. I tend to try and stay away from them (when I can) after viewing a bad Barry Lyndon projection, but these were very good.
Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5180
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #11744 on: October 05, 2012, 08:07:36 PM »
Marnie

Well... that was interesting.  I'm still trying to detangle the messed up sexual politics of this movie, though I can safely say I would advise against most of them.  Still, as just a fun sex thriller it was enjoyable.  Diane Baker is absolutely gorgeous in this movie.  After watching her in this, I'm shocked she didn't become a bigger star.  Tipi Hedron is great, but man the movie really comes alive when she's on screen.