Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1524535 times)

Coragale

Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11325 on: August 08, 2012, 06:53:38 PM »
Rogers is an awesome character. He doesn't have a hidden agenda, or honor, or anything special motivating him.

Uh actually he is a pretty big patriot.

Patriot, maybe. His character actually says "I just don't like bullies" when asked, "Do you want to kill Nazis?"

battle strategy and huge pecs are the peak of human capability? ??? hawking and gandhi would like to have words with you.

Perhaps I left out the word physical.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #11326 on: August 08, 2012, 06:56:10 PM »
Yeah they didnt play the patriot card too much in the movies i suppose. 

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #11327 on: August 08, 2012, 08:29:01 PM »
Captain America is an AMAZING movie. Really, I can't count any of the recent Marvel Studios movies as their own thing, because they're not. They're a mini-series, and they're AMAZING.

Captain America is easily my favorite of the Avengers movies. I liked the era in which it was set and I just have a lot of Cap feels. And Chris Evans is such a perfect Cap. He really gets the character.

When The Avengers came out, APGIL and I went to the marathon here in NYC. It was great watching all of the movies in order, one right after the other. They really are meant to be viewed more as a miniseries than as stand alone pieces (which they're fine as, too).
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11328 on: August 08, 2012, 08:37:23 PM »
I liked that it wasn't super patriotic. Super patriotic is creepy.  He had the right amount of "aw shucks."

It was the only way his character, and by extension the movie, would've worked. Had it started drowning itself in patriotism, it would've been a trainwreck by the second act. "Aw Shucks" is pretty much dead-on for how it was.

Captain America is my favorite of all the movie Avengers. I may like Iron Man (the movie) the best of them all, but he's the most constantly solid performer of the bunch. Plus, yeah, Chris Evans knocks the role out of the park. I've loved that guy for a while now (since Sunshine, probably), so I'm happy he's in the big time now. Dude deserves it.

Coragale

« Reply #11329 on: August 09, 2012, 09:18:47 AM »
All I can say is that Man of Steel better not suck if DC wants to compete in this market. Batman's done, Green Lantern was an abomination, and let us not speak of the previous Superman movie.

My hopes of a Justice League movie are pretty much shot, anyway, but if Man of Steel works, then there's hope.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #11330 on: August 09, 2012, 10:48:03 AM »
I liked that it wasn't super patriotic. Super patriotic is creepy.  He had the right amount of "aw shucks."

It doesn’t need to be SUPER patriotic. The character isn’t as good as the comics version, without some of that patriotism.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5618
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11331 on: August 09, 2012, 12:43:16 PM »

It doesn’t need to be SUPER patriotic. The character isn’t as good as the comics version, without some of that patriotism.
I think what you mean is BLIND patriotism, called jingoism. Where no matter what America does, it must be good because America did it.
Steve Rogers is patriotic. Because he loves his country and what it is supposed to stand for (and at the time he was raised, it usually did). But notice that in Avengers he was willing to investigate the questions about Nick Fury's dealings.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #11332 on: August 09, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »
Still going through old tapes, rewatched Wild Orchid last night.

I remember this movie as the naughty one my mom wouldn't let me watch.  I stayed up late one night and recorded it on the sly, probably in the mid 90's.  That's how old this tape is, but it still plays well. 

The movie?  Oh my God, what can I say other than horrible?  Although Bruce Greenwood is sexy.

Would love to see this movie riffed.  Maybe by Rifftrax Blue?
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #11333 on: August 10, 2012, 04:59:04 PM »
I tried to watch Runaway Daughters, but had to turn it off about 26 minutes in. It was just too dull. Directed by Joe Dante, it's about three teenage girls in the 1950s who go cross country to get the guy who got one of them pregnant and bring him back. It done well enough, and everyone's acting is okay, I guess. But like I said, it's just so goddamn DULL.
Hell, the most entertaining thing about it is how hilarious that Paul Rudd plays the town tough "outlaw" kid! 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #11334 on: August 10, 2012, 09:44:56 PM »
The Christmas Toy (1986) - A made for TV Jim Henson movie that bears no small resemblance to Toy Story. That's not really a bad thing necessarily, as the main thrust of this plot is the lion toy Rugby wanting to be the favorite Christmas toy again this year, not realizing that every year there is a differrent one. It is more about his internal discovery and realization, than an external rivalry with the new toy itself. The new toy in question being a deluded space toy that thinks it's real, so that is very similar, too. However this toy, Meteora, is a surprisingly mature looking busty female action figure, an odd choice of gift for what looks like at most a six year old girl. There is also Rugby's friendship with a cat toy named Mew, and the racist attitude towards pet toys from people toys.
  I did really like this movie. It is well done, and the characters are interesting, and the story is nice and emotional. Although the voices were distractingly like various Muppets (since it's the same puppeteers). Particularly Rugby who sounded like a barely disguized Gonzo voice. The ending was a complete copout and really the worst thing about it. Also, not EVERYTHING has to be a goddamn musical! When will Disney figure this out? This movie was only 47 minutes, but still felt very padded, particularly with the pointless inclusion of the songs, most of which are really not that good anyway.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11335 on: August 11, 2012, 11:10:43 PM »
Cool as Ice
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #11336 on: August 11, 2012, 11:40:46 PM »
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #11337 on: August 12, 2012, 03:34:57 AM »
Diary of a Wimpy Kid - 8/10
Very amusing movie. The older brother is an idiot and lots of fun.

One bit I loved was the little brother and his friend are in the older brother's room when the big brother comes in. He threatens to hurt the little brother, but the little brother manages to escape and lock himself in his room. The big brother says he is going to wait till he comes out. Well the little brother tries to hold it as long as he can, but can't hold it any longer. He checks under the door and sees his big brother's shoes still there. So he goes to his closet, grabs his catchers mask, pads, and a bat and bursts out the door.. no big brother... he looks down and the shoes are sitting there.

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #11338 on: August 12, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
The Great Dictator. It could be shorter, but overall it's a great Chaplin film (very ballsy too). It seems like his talkies don't hold a candle to his silent films.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #11339 on: August 12, 2012, 11:31:06 AM »
Wet Hot American Summer - This was just...lame. Only a few jokes worked in the whole movie. David Hyde Pierce is funny, at least until the whole Skylab thing comes right the fuck out of nowhere. Also consistantly funny is Kevin Sussman (better known as the comic store owner in Big Bang Theory). That's about it.

As a side note: I have no idea why Paul Rudd gets so much adolation. He's never been really funny to me. Except in Anchorman, but that almost feels like him acting out of character. And this is the second movie where he is cast as the jock bad boy character. WHAT?! He is just so painfully AVERAGE. For crying out loud, Johnny Depp played a more convincing jock in Nightmare on Elm Street!