Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1581044 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3204
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11160 on: July 14, 2012, 12:13:32 AM »
Went to see Ted. Count me in the camp of people who liked it. But then, I'm down with Seth MacFarlane's particular brand of humor. He has a way of taking humor that I'd normally find distastful and unfunny and putting a certain spin on it that makes it appealing to me. I can't put my finger on it, and that's why I can't blame anyone who finds his humor distasteful and unfunny. That would be me, if I didn't give him a fair shake. He's just lucky he does animation. :^)

Russell

« Reply #11161 on: July 14, 2012, 08:46:57 AM »
I just watched Red Letter Media's "Feeding Frenzy" and I really liked it. It was pretty damn funny. That being said, there are some jokes that fall flat or just don't work at all, but luckily those are pretty few and far between.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #11162 on: July 16, 2012, 03:32:50 PM »
Overboard
Kurt Russell / Goldie Hawn romcom from the 80s.. This one was played in heavy cable rotation when I was a kid... but didn't remember a whole lot about it. The two stars have undeniable onscreen chemistry and Hawn could still look rather stunning for being over 40 years old at the time...Edward Herrmann, Roddy McDowell and a small role from the guy that played the psychiatrist pitch in with some great supporting roles. The story stretches all possible lines of plausibility... but I never really cared... a stupid grin was stuck on my face almost the whole time even if I wasn't laughing out loud a ton. Lightweight fluff, but charming and humorous enough to be enjoyable... another one that I'm glad I revisited.

Unlawful Entry
Another Kurt Russell movie... This one is a thriller with Ray Liotta as the bad guy. It's really a bad movie, but it's fun watching Liotta channel his inner Gary Busey. His character goes completely unhinged.... and Liotta chews the scenery, shits it out and then chews it up all over again... and it's about the only worthwhile thing the movie has going for it.

Kurt Russell is the man, wish he would make more movies.

I remember my mom had his movie Elvis on tape and would watch it over and over.   And over.  Wore the damn tape out.
Have you seen this Soilder?

I would so love they guys to riff it, just loaded with riffable material.

Edit:  Hmm, image was there after I posted it, guess IMDB doesn't like links, I'll just put the title up...

I think so, is that the one where he dies and they bring him back?  Faster?  Stronger?

I just can't reiterate how much I love Kurt Russell. 
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11163 on: July 16, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »
Overboard
Kurt Russell / Goldie Hawn romcom from the 80s.. This one was played in heavy cable rotation when I was a kid... but didn't remember a whole lot about it. The two stars have undeniable onscreen chemistry and Hawn could still look rather stunning for being over 40 years old at the time...Edward Herrmann, Roddy McDowell and a small role from the guy that played the psychiatrist pitch in with some great supporting roles. The story stretches all possible lines of plausibility... but I never really cared... a stupid grin was stuck on my face almost the whole time even if I wasn't laughing out loud a ton. Lightweight fluff, but charming and humorous enough to be enjoyable... another one that I'm glad I revisited.

Unlawful Entry
Another Kurt Russell movie... This one is a thriller with Ray Liotta as the bad guy. It's really a bad movie, but it's fun watching Liotta channel his inner Gary Busey. His character goes completely unhinged.... and Liotta chews the scenery, shits it out and then chews it up all over again... and it's about the only worthwhile thing the movie has going for it.

Kurt Russell is the man, wish he would make more movies.

I remember my mom had his movie Elvis on tape and would watch it over and over.   And over.  Wore the damn tape out.
Have you seen  Soldier?

I would so love they guys to riff it, just loaded with riffable material.

Edit:  Hmm, image was there after I posted it, guess IMDB doesn't like links, I'll just put the title up...

I think so, is that the one where he dies and they bring him back?  Faster?  Stronger?

Not really, it's in the future, he's an "old model" of super soldier and gets tossed out on a garbage planet, then helps the locals fight the "new models" of super soldier that are going through drills on the planet.  And by drills I mean being sent to kill off the locals.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120157/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 04:21:33 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 307
« Reply #11164 on: July 16, 2012, 04:33:07 PM »
The Big Combo (1955)

So good I watched it twice in one month. Film noir with crackling dialogue and one the vilest villains in movie history. I think Quentin Tarrantino borrowed quite a bit from this one. Highly recommended.

"First is first, and second is nobody!"

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #11165 on: July 16, 2012, 09:17:31 PM »
City Lights. It might be my favorite Chaplin film that I've seen so far. I love that last scene!

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #11166 on: July 17, 2012, 11:02:41 AM »
It's been a while since I've seen Soldier, gonna have to rewatch it.

Watched American Reunion a couple days ago.  I have a soft spot for these movies.  I went on my first date with my first real boyfriend to the original American Pie, and yes, I was a late bloomer.  I have nothing bad to say about that boyfriend, we were together for years, great memories.

Anyway, this one was OK I guess.  The best part was Eugene Levy and Jennifer Coolidge hooking up.  These are two fine comedic actors who are seriously underused.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5894
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11167 on: July 17, 2012, 11:49:01 AM »
It's been a while since I've seen Soldier, gonna have to rewatch it.

Watched American Reunion a couple days ago.  I have a soft spot for these movies.  I went on my first date with my first real boyfriend to the original American Pie, and yes, I was a late bloomer.  I have nothing bad to say about that boyfriend, we were together for years, great memories.

Anyway, this one was OK I guess.  The best part was Eugene Levy and Jennifer Coolidge hooking up.  These are two fine comedic actors who are seriously underused.
I've been meaning to check that out. How is Allison Hannigan in that? She was always my favorite, even in the first one.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #11168 on: July 17, 2012, 12:19:09 PM »
Darth Geek sent us "Legend" as potential riffing material... Ridley Scott may have gone on to make some iconic films, but he can bite me for "Legend". What I hate about most fantasy is that, ironically, it is so often completely devoid of creativity. It's all the same goblins, fairies, and gnomes. Nothing in this movie is new. The writing is insipid and useless.

Our heroine is a confusingly moronic princess (although no evidence of a kingdom of any kind is ever seen) who has no respect for her fiance. He takes her to see the unicorns and begs her not to disturb them, what with the unicorns being the only thing between Satan and hell on Earth, but she prances off despite his desperate pleas and gets one of the unicorns killed.

The fiance, Jack, is even less interesting. He is presumably pooped out of a tree in his first scene, and no other backstory of any kind whatsoever is provided. He's just there. He's inexplicably in love with our heroine, too. He also spends most of the movie in a chain-mail miniskirt. Eesh.

The rest of the characters are beyond generic. Bumbling gnomes, spritely fairies, scratchy-throated goblins. And of course, everybody in makeup moves around fruitishly like Power Rangers villains.

The score goes out of its way to make sure no scene has any impact. It's typical generic fantasy fare, but it gets just about every mood wrong. It's also pretty much ALWAYS PRESENT, effectively blending the whole movie together into one long, tedious, scene.

Bad movies usually entertain me (I am in the riffing business after all), but this one just made me want to shove some gnomes down the garbage disposal. Thanks a LOT, Darth Geek.  >:(

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11169 on: July 17, 2012, 01:30:34 PM »
Yep, I like to trot out Legend anytime someone starts praising Sir Ridley's oeuvre overmuch.  The movies he has that are any good are good in spite of him, not because of him.

In a post Robin Hood and Prometheus world, I am tempted to agree.

But then I think back to Black Hawk Down, and how the way that movie works so beautifully (and against the standard Bruckheimer operating procedure) was mostly thanks to him...

Scott seems a bit like David Fincher in this respect. Both command a sort of aurora around them that constantly implies greatness, even if they tend to fumble things in big ways (Scott moreso than Fincher, but still).

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11170 on: July 17, 2012, 01:38:56 PM »
In a post Robin Hood
Ever read about what it was supposed to be like? It was going to be awesome, and then....

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #11171 on: July 17, 2012, 01:46:32 PM »
Yep, I like to trot out Legend anytime someone starts praising Sir Ridley's oeuvre overmuch.  The movies he has that are any good are good in spite of him, not because of him.

Scott seems a bit like David Fincher in this respect. Both command a sort of aurora around them...

As a matter of fact, it's a combination of their aurora and massive ego that allow them to only survive in the upper atmosphere over the middle and high latitudes.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11172 on: July 17, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »
Megamind was much, much better
Liked for this ^.  Really liked Megamind.

Have a friend who is reliable most of the time on films who keeps telling me to see Despicable Me and each time he does I have a small voice in my head that says "despite all the other films we mutually like, you also loved Wild Hogs".

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5894
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11173 on: July 17, 2012, 01:55:53 PM »
Darth Geek sent us "Legend" as potential riffing material... Ridley Scott may have gone on to make some iconic films, but he can bite me for "Legend". What I hate about most fantasy is that, ironically, it is so often completely devoid of creativity. It's all the same goblins, fairies, and gnomes. Nothing in this movie is new. The writing is insipid and useless.

Our heroine is a confusingly moronic princess (although no evidence of a kingdom of any kind is ever seen) who has no respect for her fiance. He takes her to see the unicorns and begs her not to disturb them, what with the unicorns being the only thing between Satan and hell on Earth, but she prances off despite his desperate pleas and gets one of the unicorns killed.

The fiance, Jack, is even less interesting. He is presumably pooped out of a tree in his first scene, and no other backstory of any kind whatsoever is provided. He's just there. He's inexplicably in love with our heroine, too. He also spends most of the movie in a chain-mail miniskirt. Eesh.

The rest of the characters are beyond generic. Bumbling gnomes, spritely fairies, scratchy-throated goblins. And of course, everybody in makeup moves around fruitishly like Power Rangers villains.

The score goes out of its way to make sure no scene has any impact. It's typical generic fantasy fare, but it gets just about every mood wrong. It's also pretty much ALWAYS PRESENT, effectively blending the whole movie together into one long, tedious, scene.

Bad movies usually entertain me (I am in the riffing business after all), but this one just made me want to shove some gnomes down the garbage disposal. Thanks a LOT, Darth Geek.  >:(
That whole writeup on Legend, and not one word on Tim Curry? He is EASILY the best thing in that movie, and the only real reason to watch it. But I do find his Darkness to be cool looking and entertaining. Too bad he wasn't in more of it.
I agree with you about how uncreative fantasies tend to be, but more on the same damn story and boring human characters than on creatures.
Oh, and you're WELCOME.

Coragale

« Reply #11174 on: July 17, 2012, 02:00:29 PM »
Megamind was much, much better
Liked for this ^.  Really liked Megamind.

Have a friend who is reliable most of the time on films who keeps telling me to see Despicable Me and each time he does I have a small voice in my head that says "despite all the other films we mutually like, you also loved Wild Hogs".

Wild Hogs was alright. I thought it was funny when I saw it, anyway. Not trusting someone's taste in movies because they liked something you didn't is silly. Nobody's going to have the exact same taste as you do.