login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582607 times)

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #10755 on: May 04, 2012, 10:12:42 AM »
The Avengers

:clap:

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10756 on: May 04, 2012, 08:05:06 PM »
The Avengers. Goddamn, that was awesome!

Good humor throughout, but three truly laugh out loud hilarious lines and moments (I won't spoil them).

And cudos to them for solving my biggest concerns with this. The alien invasion was not "biting off more than they can chew", they were a secondary threat at the end, more an extension of Loki, who we got plenty of time with as well. Also, Hawkeye and Black Widow did prove their usefulness as true Avengers.

Also:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I will say, I still like the CG Hulk in Incredible Hulk better.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #10757 on: May 04, 2012, 08:42:28 PM »
The Avengers Er... I'm sorry. Marvel's The Avengers.

It was awesome, and I am sick to death of superhero movies. It's incredible what good writing can do. All the characters were distinct and likable and were not merely mouthpieces for one-liners. I liked them all, except for Thor, who I didn't dislike, but he was not that interesting. I'm glad Edward Norton was a jackass and got fired because this new Banner is the best yet. I loved Banner and would have been content with him never even turning into the Hulk... of course, when that did happen, it was glorious as well. The smashing is intense and satisfying. It really just emphasizes how GOD-AWFUL Ang Lee's HULK was.

Anyway... great movie.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #10758 on: May 05, 2012, 10:54:13 AM »
Leprechaun 4. Yep, the one where he is in space. Stupid, yes. But still far better than most Asylum and Sci-Fi original movies. It's actually...um...ambitious...I guess would be a good way to describe it. It knows it's ludicrous, and revels in it, anabashadly. It also helps that all the characters are adults and professionals at their respective jobs. There are no stupid teeneagers here, so at least they avoid that tired cliche. Although the characters do act stupidly at times.
Hey, at least it's better than the later two "In The Hood" ones that came after. If for no other reason than rap and stereotype urban culture makes everything worse. But also those movies for some reason tried to take the Leprechaun a little more seriously than Leprechaun 4. Whereas Lep 4 wisely realizes there is no more threat to be mined from this franchise (if there was any in the first place)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #10759 on: May 05, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie - A tediously boring zombie movie. Slow, stupid, and the final zombie outbreak consists of a grand total of 4 zombies (3 until the last bit). Only one decent kill (the girl at the hospital receptionist desk).
  A poorly thought out "technology is going to kill us" type movie, that makes less sense than THEM. Some kind of ultrasound/radiation (they never make it clear) technology for getting rid of insects. All of them, for miles. That alone is stupid, but apparently this is bringing the dead back to life. WHAAAA?!
  The movie actually has ONE interesting idea it presents, that newborn babies are born homicidal and slash and try to kill anything around them. Of course, it isn't really shown in any effective way, and it's immediately dropped and isn't mentioned again.
  Featuring a cliche angry and hardnosed detective who hates hippies. A death of the good guy at the end that would only be more a ripoff of Night of the Living Dead if he was black. And the asshole detective gets his with the most unexplained zombie appearance ever.

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #10760 on: May 05, 2012, 05:41:42 PM »
^Yeah I've seen parts of that movie and it is so slow!

I just watched Shame (yeah, it's rated NC-17 and I'm only 16, big whoop, wanna fight about it?). It was pretty good, and bizzare. And while I'm straight (not that there's anything wrong with being gay), holy shit! Fassbender is fuckin' hung like a horse!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #10761 on: May 05, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »

I just watched Shame (yeah, it's rated NC-17 and I'm only 16, big whoop, wanna fight about it?). It was pretty good, and bizzare. And while I'm straight (not that there's anything wrong with being gay), holy shit! Fassbender is fuckin' hung like a horse!

Don't worry so much. Sexual orientation is quite irrelevant when it comes to being attracted to Michael Fassbender.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #10762 on: May 05, 2012, 06:06:42 PM »

Don't worry so much. Sexual orientation is quite irrelevant when it comes to being attracted to Michael Fassbender.

"If I looked as good as him, I'd be a sex addict too."

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6869
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #10763 on: May 05, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »

magnet-oh my!
dF = 0
d*F = J

Danecho1967

« Reply #10764 on: May 05, 2012, 10:48:04 PM »
Cars 2

Top notch animation, but missing something...  An old school mail truck driving by every 15 minutes or so saying "MESSAGE!" in Samuel L. Jackson's voice.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #10765 on: May 06, 2012, 08:59:06 PM »

Not only was this movie funny but the special effects where very well done if a little dated but the most important part was that I found the characters to be fairly well written and acted and this movie was really really charming.  It's the sort of movie you only really got in the 80s where you have a charming story with a child like joy that is told on an adult level.  I wish we still trusted kids to follow the adult parts of stories and didn't dumb everything down with whacky jokes.  I have to say I was not shocked to see that Brad Bird worked on the script because this movie has a lot of the same charm as his animated films. This movie charmed my socks off and I enjoyed every minute of it.  We need more movies like this.  10/10.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10766 on: May 06, 2012, 09:45:45 PM »
Wow, a Japanese movie title that might be better than the US one, that's pretty darn rare...

It is a nice, feel good movie, with some great acting.  Just think, if it were done today they would make the CGI robots crazy complicated like transformers and ruin the tone of the movie.  Since we are in the age of remakes I'd bet this gets done again someday, someone out there is probably saying "we can make the alien robots so much more cool now", and "dump the old people", get some young hot actors to fill the building and stand up the evil corporation. 

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #10767 on: May 06, 2012, 10:05:20 PM »
Wow, a Japanese movie title that might be better than the US one, that's pretty darn rare...

It is a nice, feel good movie, with some great acting.  Just think, if it were done today they would make the CGI robots crazy complicated like transformers and ruin the tone of the movie.  Since we are in the age of remakes I'd bet this gets done again someday, someone out there is probably saying "we can make the alien robots so much more cool now", and "dump the old people", get some young hot actors to fill the building and stand up the evil corporation. 

Yeah I know.  As I said it's like Hollywood doesn't think people can relate to anyone who isn't their own age or anything that didn't happen in their life times any more so they dumb everything down.  In some way I think the 80s was the last decade when Hollywood showed any respect to film goers and treated them including the kids as if they had a brain. Also it helped that back then Hollywood was fine with spending $20 million to make a movie and getting $60 to $100 million back,now adays any movie that doesn't make $500 million is a "bomb" and that is just sad.  As I said I miss this style of movie but instead of letting it make me sad I am just going to enjoy the movies that we have.  I do have to wonder how long it would be before all those robots drained the inter new york city power grid.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #10768 on: May 07, 2012, 05:04:37 AM »
So The Avengers was splendid, and further convinces me of the need for a Damage Control movie. There were a couple of occasions where I thought "They could really use a Wasp here". Oh, and, Shwarma.

And, while I really really liked The Avengers, I loved Bad Day At Wolfram & Hart, I mean Cabin in the Woods, and not just because it had Amy Acker in a lab coat. Tons of fun, very splattery so not everyone's cup of tea, but tons of fun all the same. All together now, What a friend we have in Shinto....

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #10769 on: May 07, 2012, 05:45:55 AM »

Not only was this movie funny but the special effects where very well done if a little dated but the most important part was that I found the characters to be fairly well written and acted and this movie was really really charming.  It's the sort of movie you only really got in the 80s where you have a charming story with a child like joy that is told on an adult level.  I wish we still trusted kids to follow the adult parts of stories and didn't dumb everything down with whacky jokes.  I have to say I was not shocked to see that Brad Bird worked on the script because this movie has a lot of the same charm as his animated films. This movie charmed my socks off and I enjoyed every minute of it.  We need more movies like this.  10/10.
Glad you liked it. A good movie that tends to be forgotten about nowadays. And I agree, if made today, the robots would be overcomplicated junk and the "wacky hijinks" would ruin it.