login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582598 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #10485 on: March 07, 2012, 08:20:04 PM »
Monty Python And The Holy Grail

It looks pretty darn good on Blu-Ray, the filth really looks filthy.  I was surprised how much the sound is improved on BD.

Most of the extras from the ultimate definitive final special edition DVD are on the BD, but not all of them.  There are some new extras, some new out takes and extended scenes I hadn't seen before, and they found some unused animations that have been put back together and they made up a soundtrack for them.

So, looks like you can't throw you're DVD away if you get the BD, if you want all the possible extras.

That seems weird, the prime reason I upgraded to BD was for the extras
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10486 on: March 07, 2012, 09:27:40 PM »

It looks pretty darn good on Blu-Ray, the filth really looks filthy.  I was surprised how much the sound is improved on BD.

Most of the extras from the ultimate definitive final special edition DVD are on the BD, but not all of them.  There are some new extras, some new out takes and extended scenes I hadn't seen before, and they found some unused animations that have been put back together and they made up a soundtrack for them.

So, looks like you can't throw you're DVD away if you get the BD, if you want all the possible extras.

One little peeve, some of the extras are only available if you use second screen, and they only have the second screen app available on the iPad, not the iPod or android, so somewhat of an FU about that...

I'm not sure what those extras are, but from the description it sounds like similar stuff to the "killer bunny" feature on the DVD.

The menus are not even funny like on the DVD.  And there's stupid pop up ads for other discs.

The outtakes, extra scenes, and lost animations are pretty cool (the full version of the 3 headed knight scene is very different).  And the intros to both are very funny.  But it seems like Sony was not really interested in doing anything really special for the Blu-Ray.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5178
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #10487 on: March 08, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

Just OK.  When it's on, it is dead on with it's humour and stylization of 50's b-movies, but there is also a lot of clunker humour and boring spots.  It occurs to me, that it might work better as a stage play with some retooling, although I wonder if it wouldn't work so well if the cast had to pause for laugh lines.  When it works, it's because it isn't winking in any way.

On a related note, please look at my signature.

Offline Prince of Space 5049

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 14
  • Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha
« Reply #10488 on: March 08, 2012, 02:00:38 PM »
Because of a post by "Doctor John Smith" quite a while ago, I rented Network.
OMFG What a fantastic movie.  Once again I saw it when I was like, seventeen, but in no way could comprehend it's impact back then.  It was fantastic, and scary.
[

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #10489 on: March 08, 2012, 02:20:01 PM »
OMFG What a fantastic movie.  Once again I saw it when I was like, seventeen, but in no way could comprehend it's impact back then.  It was fantastic, and scary.

I love that show.  It's shocking how relevant it is today.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #10490 on: March 08, 2012, 04:29:42 PM »

Glad I could help.  It is amazing piece of work. I think it is out on Blu Ray.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #10491 on: March 09, 2012, 01:14:58 PM »
Just saw Captain America.  I can see why Rifftrax did it, its ripe for riffing.

Didn't really care to see it too much, got it free at the library. 

Was Stan Lee in it?  I always look for him in the Marvel movies but didn't see him.

And now I am ready to see the Avengers.  Oh yeah.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #10492 on: March 09, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »
I think he was Hitler.

Offline SJP

• Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #10493 on: March 09, 2012, 01:44:06 PM »
Well, I didn't get to technically FINISH ZaAt, but I thought I would still make mention of something...

Wow.  Just wow.  This movie does not deserve to look this nice.  If all you've seen of it is the crap print used on MST3K, all you get is this red-tinged, drab looking film made in a guy's basement.  The restored Blu-ray?  It is almost night and day difference when it comes to brightness and color.  The monster is incredibly fake-looking, but bright green with little red speckles, and even though it's filmed in a basement, that basement is filled with so many different colored light bulbs that it just looks sort of pleasant to look at.  The outdoors are incredibly contrasting as well, with deep green grass and blue water.  It does make the stock footage scenes stand out a bit more, since they're not cleaned up as nicely, but in all honesty, the movie's script and acting may suck, but there's a lot more that had been visually lost to time in low quality prints that gets represented really nicely here.

In summary, it's still stupid, but it looks really nice.  However, if you like film grain, be warned...this thing has gotten the full noise reduction treatment, so up close you can see a sort of smeary, waxy look to everything, but very little in terms of print damage and other little issues.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline doggans

• Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #10494 on: March 09, 2012, 01:49:48 PM »
Was Stan Lee in it?  I always look for him in the Marvel movies but didn't see him.

I haven't seen it since the theater, but I seem to recall Stan saying something like "I thought he'd be taller" when Cap didn't show up for some award.

« Reply #10495 on: March 09, 2012, 02:31:03 PM »

I haven't seen it since the theater, but I seem to recall Stan saying something like "I thought he'd be taller" when Cap didn't show up for some award.

I remember that scene, I'll rewatch that to see.

Thanks!

« Reply #10496 on: March 09, 2012, 02:35:02 PM »
Well, I didn't get to technically FINISH ZaAt, but I thought I would still make mention of something...

Wow.  Just wow.  This movie does not deserve to look this nice.  If all you've seen of it is the crap print used on MST3K, all you get is this red-tinged, drab looking film made in a guy's basement.  The restored Blu-ray?  It is almost night and day difference when it comes to brightness and color.  The monster is incredibly fake-looking, but bright green with little red speckles, and even though it's filmed in a basement, that basement is filled with so many different colored light bulbs that it just looks sort of pleasant to look at.  The outdoors are incredibly contrasting as well, with deep green grass and blue water.  It does make the stock footage scenes stand out a bit more, since they're not cleaned up as nicely, but in all honesty, the movie's script and acting may suck, but there's a lot more that had been visually lost to time in low quality prints that gets represented really nicely here.

In summary, it's still stupid, but it looks really nice.  However, if you like film grain, be warned...this thing has gotten the full noise reduction treatment, so up close you can see a sort of smeary, waxy look to everything, but very little in terms of print damage and other little issues.

Ha!  I actually finished this piece of dreck.

I always giggle when he's using the spray thing underwater.  It is impossible to use a spray bottle underwater, when you let go of the handle it will just bring in water and mix with your solution.

Well, I guess that doesn't really matter in this case, since its mixing in the water anyway.... 

Russell

« Reply #10497 on: March 10, 2012, 06:00:10 PM »
I watched Blood Simple... again. I just find that film to be endlessly fascinating.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #10498 on: March 10, 2012, 08:27:11 PM »

Dawn of the Dead and Zombie at the rooftop cinema, an open air screen on the roof of a 6 story parking complex in the city for the arts festival. 

Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

MontyServo

« Reply #10499 on: March 11, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »
Murder By Decree
Very good Sherlock Holmes film from the late '70s with excellent performances by Christopher Plummer as Holmes and James Mason as Watson.  I never knew about this film's existence until seeing it while browsing through Netflix Watch Now.  This story has Holmes tackling the case of Jack The Ripper.  I liked this much more than the Downey Jr. Sherlock film (haven't seen the sequel to that one yet and am in no hurry to either.)

The Life Of Reilly
Another Netflix Watch Now find.  This is the film version of Charles Nelson Reilly's autobiographical one man show.  I was always a big fan of Match Game, but didn't really know too much about the man.  Turns out he led a very interesting life and this show is at times funny and sad.  I wish he would have spoke more about Match Game, but I can't complain too much as I was thoroughly entertained by his story.