login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1596308 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5919
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18915 on: November 01, 2019, 07:12:30 PM »
Satanic Panic (2019) - This was a pretty fun horror comedy. Especially the performance of Rebecca Romijn.
The only downside is that the main character is kind of a naive idiot for most of the movie. Also, the ending is odd and at first confusing, just to get an out of place happy ending. Those are pretty minor, though. I would recommend it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18916 on: November 02, 2019, 01:14:43 PM »
Zombieland: Double Tap - Well that was...ANNOYING! This movie kept introducing insufferably irritating characters (except for Flagstaff, the Columbus doppelganger, he was funny), and then have just annoying bickering between them. Or worse just kill them off so they're pointless. It also doesn't help that I FUCKING HATE ELVIS!!!!!! The whole middle section of this movie in Graceland was like nails on a chalkboard to me. The very idea of the Babylon commune was sooooo stupid! This compound of unarmed peaceniks wouldn't last five minutes against a bunch of Homer zombies, much less last years and be considered "safe". They also introduce the interesting idea of different types of zombies, Homers (dumb ones), Hawkings (smart ones) and Ninjas (fast silent ones), yet we never see any of the Hawkings or Ninjas again, and only one or two Homers which don't matter. Why introduce them if you aren't going to do anything with them?! They could have just introduced the concept of T-800 zombies and be done with it. The T-800 zombies really aren't all that special except for a few scenes where they are up against individuals and we can see they take more damage to kill. But he keeps saying they are "bigger and stronger" yet we never see that.
Was there anything good in this trainwreck? There are some funny jokes, and I did like the main characters, but only because they had already been established in the previous movie. But that is not nearly enough to make this worth it.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 266
« Reply #18917 on: November 03, 2019, 03:20:20 PM »
Zombieland: Double Tap - Well that was...ANNOYING!....
I never got all the love for the original. I just thought it was easily forgettable. Wasn't funny enough for a comedy or scary enough for horror or very original in any way.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4531
« Reply #18918 on: November 03, 2019, 03:39:10 PM »
I remember liking the first one's characters and dialogue, but I haven't seen it in awhile.  Then again, it and Shaun of the Dead are the only zombie comedies I've seen.

Offline F-Zero

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 107
« Reply #18919 on: November 03, 2019, 05:10:27 PM »
Joker  A sickening and dangerous incitement towards societal collapse in our age of divisiveness.  MAGA, you know what I mean?

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 97
« Reply #18920 on: November 03, 2019, 10:18:05 PM »
The Ghost of Garganta ( 2011 )
Yes, your right. I probably should have watched this last week which was the Saturday before before Halloween.  However, I have been watching the AC Comics movies in the order of their DVD release, as imperfect as they are. For example, this week's film is inexplicably a part 1 of a story that concludes with a part two that wasn't released until 2017. So basically, a film was broken into two parts, and the second half  not released until five years later. Even more inexplicable, the first and second part were released on double feature discs. This disc also has a Nightveil movie which will be watched next week, and part two is on a disc with Bill Black directed horror film. So why wasn't the two parts combined into a single film?

Okay, so basically this film starts where the first Garganta movie left off. After being killed, the body of the giant Garganta is buried. But her ghost arises  from the grave, but soon realizes that, as a ghost, she is no longer able to crush things. Characters, who will most likely have some purpose in the second half, are introduced. And then the flying saucer that originally turned an angry woman into Garganta the giant, returns to change her from a ghost back into a physical giant.  Much of the film feels like padding, but perhaps because it is all exposition, both explaining how Garganta returns from the dead, and establishing all the characters. And the film pretty much ends just as the actual story is about to begin.

The Treasure Hunter ( 2009 )
Why did I have this movie on my list of martial arts  films to buy? Possibly because somewhere I saw the trailer that makes it look much better than it actually is. A Thai film with limited special effects. This is what an Indiana Jones film would be like if most of the film was Indy planning to go on an adventure. It's a mess of a story with bits and pieces stolen from the Indiana Jones films, Romancing the Stone, Sergio Leone westerns, Dragon Inn, and a lot of other films. The plot: a long time ago there were a bunch of emperors who lived in what is now a desert region of China. One of those emperors was buried with a giant pearl. Apparently this was supposed to be a very valuable treasure, so six martial arts masters were left in the tomb to protect it, while out in the wasteland  nearby the tomb someone called the Desert Eagle basically prevents anyone from approaching the tomb. Every few years another desert dweller has the right to challenge the Desert Eagle to a fight, and if he wins, becomes the next Desert Eagle. So basically, for the past few thousand years there has always been a Desert Eagle, while the martial arts masters have long ago died and are now martial arts ghosts. Oh, and there is also the Sandstorm Legion, a hoard of horsemen who show up in a sandstorm and attack anyone going after the treasure. And the tomb itself is full of corpse plants that turn people into zombies, and a boobytrap that shoots an endless barrage of spiked discs at anyone attempting to get near the burial chamber. And yet after creating all of those safeguards against the tomb being robbed, the ancients also created a map showing exactly where the city and tomb are. Cut to current times, where an archeologist has finally found the map to the tomb, which results in everyone going after the treasure. Villains are introduced and soon after forgotten.  The bunch of suit wearing thugs who kill the archeologist unaware he had already given the map to someone else. Who are they, we never find out. Or the mummy-man who is apparently also after the map and can shoot his wrapping out as a weapon like a bunch of tentacles.  so basically, the plot is a mess, and much of the acting is lacking. And the fights, well. I cant tell if the choreography is any good because the editing and camera angles in all the action scenes is bad. But despite all of that, it is an entertaining enough movie.  Just not anything close to classic, or memorable.

Pacific Rim ( 2013 )
So Wikipedia also had this as a Superhero film. Which I don't believe for a second. But thought, what the hell, may as well get it. No need to explain what this is about since it was heavily promoted a few years ago. It is basically formulaic and predictable, but also very fun.

Offline F-Zero

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #18921 on: November 04, 2019, 12:02:54 AM »
Captain Fantastic The opposite of Joker.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5222
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18922 on: November 04, 2019, 10:24:09 AM »
Batman?

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 600
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #18923 on: November 04, 2019, 10:43:30 AM »

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #18924 on: November 06, 2019, 08:56:08 AM »
Joker  A sickening and dangerous incitement towards societal collapse in our age of divisiveness.  MAGA, you know what I mean?

Is there something wrong with me that I liked it? That I thought it was just holding up a mirror to the current climate and American culture in general? Left and right. Maga and anti-maga?

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 600
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #18925 on: November 06, 2019, 08:58:12 AM »
Is there something wrong with me that I liked it? That I thought it was just holding up a mirror to the current climate and American culture in general? Left and right. Maga and anti-maga?
There is nothing wrong with you for liking it.  :)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18926 on: November 07, 2019, 06:04:16 PM »
Piranha Man vs Wolfman - I expected this to be bad, and it was. I expected it to have terrible acting,and it did. I expected it to have really cheap effects, and it did. But I did not expect it to have a worse soundtrack than Rollergator! No, I am not joking! It's got the most bizarre, offputting reverb/wailing thing going on whenever there's a stalking or killing scene (which is surprisingly often). At one point there's even cartoon boing boing sounds! No character is bouncing or doing anything to warrant that, it's just part of the background score! ANd you'd think that with a title like that and a soundtrack like that it'd be a comedy, right? Nope. Serious the whole time, and deadly boring.

Offline F-Zero

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #18927 on: November 09, 2019, 11:32:20 AM »

Well, when I watch a movie that is shown in the public sphere I always always always worry about the effects the filmmakers will have on my fellow citizens and society.   

I worry about the filmmakers sexily reinforcing the zeitgeist of the dehumanization of "others".  I worry about movies "giving permission" for audience members to gloat over physical violence on those that merely act annoying.  I worry that people will completely miss the moral in a piece of satire, i.e. "Apocolypse Now makes me want to kick ass"..  I worry about mixed messages in the movies like the lesson of Avatar is "war is wrong but aren't war toys cool?"  I worry about South Park encouraging impressionable children to become Eric Cartman and actually like that about themselves. 

I know I'm a total hypocrite with my sense of humor but I just can't turn that part of my brain off.  It's like anxiety is a drug somehow.  Yes I also happen to be a politics junkie.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 11:34:47 AM by F-Zero »

Offline F-Zero

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #18928 on: November 09, 2019, 02:52:46 PM »
Official Secrets

British flick starring Keira Knightly about the leak that the US was spying on UN members to extort a vote to make the Iraq invasion legal.  I remember that leak back in the day and it really pissed me off.  What makes this leak special is that it was BEFORE the invasion.

I was moved by this movie, particularly the part where they quoted Daniel Ellsberg.  I didn't actually know who the leaker was or her fate so the ending held some real drama.

Good shit.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18929 on: November 09, 2019, 06:15:11 PM »
From Dusk Till Dawn 2 - This was a decent straight to DVD action movie with some good gore and practical effects (and really bad CGI, but it's used very sparingly). It's not nearly the balls to the walls mayhem fun of the second half of the first movie, which is too bad. But it's also not the utterly loathsome first half of the first movie where the main characters were established as irredeemably terrible, so it's an improvement. But the main characters here are still bank robbers, so I certainly don't want them to succeed. Speaking of which, the main plot of this is them wanting to rob a bank, then one by one they become vampires, and their plan doesn't change, they still just want to rob a bank. They try to lampshade it later with the line "I guess vampires need money like everybody else." but it does feel like this was a bank robbery movie first and then turned into a From Dusk Till Dawn movie. Probably the biggest disappointment is that we only get one short scene in the Titty Twister, but fortunately it's with Danny Trejo who is always great.
I'd say it's worth a rental, as long as you know it's not going to be too much like the first one.