Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1526402 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 485
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18525 on: March 20, 2019, 11:08:56 PM »
I went to see Captain Marvel yet again tonight with a very good friend of mine. We saw it at one of those very nice theaters where you order your food before the show and they serve it to you at your table in the theater. I had a very good time, I'm getting to think that this movie actually gets better with repeated viewings.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5621
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18526 on: March 21, 2019, 06:21:44 AM »
My morbid curiosity got the better of me and I finally watched Ant-Man And The Wasp. I regret it. Just like my morbid curiosity with BvS and Justice League. While not as bad as those, I still found this movie annoying and particularly unfunny. I literally only laughed at one joke. When the ants kept being eaten by seagulls when Ant-Man was calling them to help him.
In the first one my primary issue was Scott Lang wasn't interesting and that inexcusably insulting fight with Falcon. In this one I didn't mind Scott Lang. If anything his scenes with his daughter were a highlight. I didn't think he did anything particularly stupid, which is what I expected from the trailers. No, the problem is all the other characters are stupid. In the first movie I really liked Hope, and wish she had just been the hero, but here SHE IS STUPID! The beginning scene with her trying to buy the tech from the black market arms dealer was what really annoyed me. Why are you trying so hard to pay money to people who likely stole the tech in the first place?! What makes it worse is that Walter Goggins is AWFUL in this! He is just insufferably lame as even a minor villain. Hell, at one point Hope actually says "Really? This guy again?" because even she can't believe the movie is still wasting time with this jackass. I didn't care that much for Michael Peña's character in the first Ant-Man, but I didn't hate him. Here he is excruciatingly unfunny. And I felt bad, because I like that actor and he can do much better.
This has to be the WORST reason for the villain to hate the good guy (Well, she hates Hank Pym, not Scott Lang) I have ever seen! It is clear that her father is entirely at fault for the accident that caused her affliction, and her actions working for SHIELD are her own. It's just shockingly bad writing. Lawrence Fishburne is the only really likable character here.
I did like the opening scene, because it looked like the filmmakers were referencing Dave Made a Maze (a phenomenal movie).

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18527 on: March 22, 2019, 06:52:49 AM »
You seriously didn't like Antman and the Wasp DG? I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18528 on: March 22, 2019, 12:15:01 PM »
You seriously didn't like Antman and the Wasp DG? I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.
Yeah. I had issues with the first one, but I was holding out hope that now the character was established it would just be fun. But I had completely different issues with it, and didn't find it much fun at all. I know I'm in the minority on these, though.
I will say that I quite enjoyed Ant-Man's minor role in Captain America: Civil War, so it's not like I have anything against the character. I also don't have anything against Paul Rudd, I just don't find him as great as so many other people do apparently. It's the writing in these movies that are the problem, and I would be hard pressed to think of an actor I liked more that would make me forgive a lot of it.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2567
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18529 on: March 22, 2019, 09:56:07 PM »
Like Father

Watched it because it's got Kristen Bell and Kelsey Grammer in it.  It's a Netflix movie.

It's practically a 90 minute ad for Carnival Cruse Lines.  Very predictable, very hallmark movie-ish, but well done and enjoyable.  Of course Bell is pretty great in it, Grammer is OK.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4983
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18530 on: March 23, 2019, 04:49:16 AM »
Paper Moon

I got this one from the library after it appeared on the top 70s movies list.  I don't know that it would have made my list but it is a fun, sweet movie and while I wasn't into the Trixie Delight section so much except the scene where she and Addie have a chat, as Madeline Kahn kills the performance.  I think the only thing wrong with it is that it takes too long to play out and while I get the point of it thematically (Moses sure ain't invulnerable to be "taken for a ride") and for the characters (we get insight into Trixie and Imogene and can compare their relationship to Moses and Addie's and also by putting a wedge between the two leads, we learn more about them), the film is more engaging to me in the scamming scenes and the bootlegger section.  Of course, I might change my mind the next time I see it.  I love con artists stories, but while there is a lot of that, I feel that its real strength is that it is an outsider story of two people who... i don't know if they need each other, but for all their bickering, they seem to, on some level, get and accept each other in a way that even some of the nicer characters in the film don't.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18531 on: March 23, 2019, 04:52:35 PM »
Megamind and Despicable Me - I've seen these a few times before, but not in a while. These both came out in 2010, and they are both about supervillains. But they couldn't be more different. Megamind is so much more creative and well put together, whereas Despicable Me is just cliché ridden. Despicable Me is quite fun for the first third, but you can see exactly where it is going once the girls come in, and there is not even any reason for the girls to be there at all, since if he can make cookie robots surely he can make girl robots to sell the cookies. I will give the movie credit that the girls themselves are well done, they aren't annoying, they are quite adorable in fact. But they only serve to pull Gru away from his villainy, which is what makes him interesting. Whereas Megamind is interesting both when he is a villain and when he is a hero. Plus the Hal/Titan character is brilliantly done, showing the dark side to a seemingly "nice guy". Despicable Me is still a decent movie, but it's disposable fluff. Megamind is brilliant, and I wish it got more appreciation.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18532 on: March 24, 2019, 07:03:06 AM »
Us is definitely one of the best times I had with a movie in a while. I had high expectations and it largely surpassed them. Though there is still another social horror element in it, it is less obvious about it than get out and more focused on the primal horror of the situation.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The same day, me and my friends also watched Captain Marvel, which was a lot of fun. That said, I kind of wish we watched it first, since I feel like it won't stay with me quite as much as Us.

I will say, it only overplays its "ITS THE 90s" hand in doing one to many "Internet is slow" jokes. Otherwise, it seems limited to some choice song choices.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18533 on: March 24, 2019, 10:44:31 AM »
I'll say one thing for Captain Marvel, I honestly thought it was better than Black Panther. Hear me out, Black Panther to me felt kind of generic and didn't really contribute much of anything to the overall picture of the MCU. It was mostly a picture tackling subjects of race, inheritance, and culture, and that's about it. Eric Killmonger may be a great villain but again he does nothing to advance or push the MCU forward. T'Challa/Black Panther on the other hand fights for his country and behaves morally and ethically like we've come to expect of your typical Marvel Superhero. Everything that happens in Black Panther seems completely confined to being within that film as opposed to carrying on an influence or possessing connective tissue to other MCU films. There's no infinity stones, nothing for the future of Wakanda, except hopefully a better future because T'Challa has decided to open Wakanda to the world. Yeah, I guess that's something.

On the other hand, in Captain Marvel I got questions answered that I didn't even know needed to be asked.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Where did Carol Danvers get her powers? What is the Skrulls real agenda? Thinking about it, Carol's origin story in Captain Marvel is pretty interesting, and before I saw the movie for the first time I was concerned that Carol might be fighting for the wrong side and that might turn the audience(and consequently me) against her. However, in spite of her allegiance to the Kree, she does all the right things because in the end Carol Danvers can't go against her nature. The movie's main theme is that of identity, and in spite of Carol seeking it for much of the movie, she still is and who she always was. That is what I think makes Captain Marvel awesome.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2599
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18534 on: March 24, 2019, 04:22:58 PM »
Last night we watched two thirds of Solo, and my review so far is, 'Who cares?'

Will we watch the last third tonight? A more exciting question than anything going on in the film.
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18535 on: March 24, 2019, 07:15:32 PM »
Still much preferable to episodes one to three. 

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 338
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18536 on: March 24, 2019, 09:47:51 PM »
Paper Moon
...the film is more engaging to me in the scamming scenes and the bootlegger section.
I saw this about 10 years ago, because it's a great era for movies and I'm fascinated by child prodigy actors (Tatum O'Neal is the youngest Academy Award winner ever). And, yeah, that part's all I remember, because that's where it really shines. The outsiders aspect had such potential. I think maybe we've seen this story's been done a hundred times since then. So perhaps it doesn't stand the test of time. Anywho...

Finally saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Best Spider-Man movie ever. And it's not even close. The deeper your love and knowledge for Spider-Man, the greater it is. I still can't believe Peter Porker made it into a movie. I don't know what Spidey fans did to deserve this, but it's wonderful.

And I just finished Free Solo. I knew it was going to be intense, and it very much was. Excellently done by showing not just the challenges but his life, the sport, the jargon, the behind-the-scenes (and how they play a role). Balanced perfectly. Btw, before starting it, I realized how grateful I was for never finding out if the guy survived or not. Made the experience heart-stopping. Definitely don't look it up if you have a choice!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:55:02 PM by stansimpson »

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #18537 on: March 24, 2019, 10:25:54 PM »
Heroes Two ( 1974 )
When Bruce Lee died, there was a sudden slump in the Asian box office for martial arts films. For nearly a decade martial arts films had been the Hong Kong film industry's biggest money maker with box office hit after box office hit. For independent film producers and directors, if you wanted to get into the film industry then you could easily find investors to finance a low budget martial arts film, which almost always made some sort of profit. Asians could not get enough of the genre. And when Bruce Lee began starring in the films, the genre had a God. Bruce Lee took the martial art film to a whole new level that most of the other veteran martial arts actors could not match.. And then he died. And the Chinese could not imagine the films without him. Nor were they interested in seeing films with actors who's screen fighting was nowhere as dynamic as Lee's.

Film makers tried to find a way out of the slump. Some went for Bruceploitation , making films that were either biopics of Bruce, or featured actors who had worked with Bruce, or had clones who pretended to be Bruce in some attempt to  pretend an unreleased Bruce Lee film was discovered. The Bruceploitation films did make some money, but not that much.   It was director, Chang Cheh  who came up with a solution to the slump. The Chinese had lost a hero. Then why not fill the void with heroes from the past? The monks of Shaolin.

The first of the films that began Chang Cheh's Shaolin cycle was Heroes Two, which featured the meeting between two folk heroes from Shaolin. Fang Shi Yu was already familiar to Chinese audiences as there had been almost as many Fang Shi Yu films in the 40s through 60s as there had been Wong Fe Hung films. But just like with the Wong Fe Hung films, the virtuous Fang Shi Yu was seen as old fashioned by the end of the 60s and had faded out in popularity. Audiences wanted more violent , vengeance seeking heroes and not a religious Buddhist monk. Chang Cheh reinvented Fang Shi Yu to be more eager to fight and take lives of those he deemed evil. The other hero was Hung Si Kuan, a monk who allegedly survived the burning of Shaolin and was responsible for spreading martial arts throughout China, mostly to rebels against the Qing Dynasty. Technically Fang and Hung would probably have lived in different eras, if they had actually lived at all and were not made up folk heroes. But after centuries of Shaolin legends, the years where each shaolin hero lived, and even the year the Temple was burned down by government forces, varies depending on which region the tales come from.

In Heroes Two, Hung si Kuan escapes the destruction of Shaolin, but is injured. Still, he is able to easily defeat any soldier who tries to stop him.  Meanwhile Fang Shi Yu just happens to be traveling in the opposite direction. Since he is also from Shaolin and also considered a rebel, the government forces want him arrested as well. Realizing his Kung Fu is so powerful they could never catch him, they decide instead to trick him into capturing Hung for them, telling Fang that Hung is a wanted  robber and murderer. He captures the injured Hung, who is then held prisoner, chained to the wall in the basement of a general.  When Fang finds out he had been tricked into capturing a Shaolin hero, he becomes remorseful and attempts to save Hung by himself. But while trying to pry Hung off the wall, Fang is sucker punched and injured by the general, who's llama techniques are even superior to that of Fang. He just barely manages to escape. In order to lure Fang back, the general announces that Hung will be executed. But unknown to the general, Fang has dug a tunnel under the general's house which allows Hung to escape. At the end of the tunnel is a note for the general and his men daring them to meet the heroes and the rest of the rebels on a hilltop for a final showdown.

Among my favorite of the Shaw Brothers films, Heroes Two has such a basic easy to follow plot that even those unfamiliar with Chinese history could easily follow it.   It became a hit for Shaw Brothers, leading to more Shaolin films from Chang Cheh. More important, it proved that with the right historic heroes that martial arts films could still make money, keeping the genre alive long enough for Jackie Chan to revitalize it with his Kung Fu comedies.

Black Scorpion II: Aftershock ( 1997 )
I am not even sure that's the title. The DVD case has the title Black Scorpion II with nothing else, the disc menu just calls it Black Scorpion, and then I noticed on the back of the case where they list the film credits, they call it Black Scorpion II: Ground Zero But the title that appears on the film itself is Black Scorpion II: Aftershock , so one wonders what all the confusion was with the distributor of the DVD.  This was the second Black Scorpion film Corman made for Showtime before moving to Sci-fi as a weekly series. It had the same cast as the first film ( although they would not stick around for the series ) and was a direct sequel to the first film. However, for some reason a character that learned the identity of Black Scorpion in the first film doesn't know her identity in the second film. There would be a third film, but it is a composite of three of the series episodes and doesn't really count as a film.

Once again we have costumed villains, this time Gagster Prankster who is a rip-off of both The Joker and two Face. In other words, only half of his face has clown makeup and a wig  while the other half of his head has no makeup and no wig. The other villain is Aftershock, a scientist who had invented a machine that was suppose to stop earthquakes from happening. Enter the film's third villain, the Mayor. For the past few years the city of Angel City had been receiving government disaster funds every time it was hit with an Earthquake, which the Mayor had been embezzling. Suddenly faced with the prospect of no more disaster funds, the mayor has his henchmen sabotage the earthquake machine so that instead of stopping earthquakes, it intensifies them. An earthquake hits, and not only does the machine amplify it, but somehow turns the scientist into the villain Aftershock who has the power to shoot some sort of energy from her hands, and seeks to destroy the entire city with a massive earthquake.

Once again I admire Corman for having costumed villains in a superhero movie. The problem is that once again Corman spends as little money as possible on the film, so it comes just short of being good. The actor playing Gangster Prankster, along with his henchmen, overdue their roles. While the actress who plays Aftershock can jus barely act.  he movie is just interesting enough to watch all the way through, but could have been better.

Leap of Faith ( 1992 )
This was one of my favorite films. Perhaps my favorite Steve Martin film, although The Man With Two Brains gives would also be contending for favorite. I saw this film a long time ago as a rental for my laserdisc player. I got the player under condition that the rest of the family would be able to use it.I found a rental shop that rented laserdiscs for the whole family to rent. The problem was that the shop didn't really have that big a selection of laserdiscs to rent from. So I wasn't really looking to rent this film, but just didn't find anything better to rent that weekend.  What a pleasant surprise when I enjoyed the film. I don't know why I never thought of buying it  on DVD. A couple of years ago I decided to start buying my favorite movies, only to discover Leap of Faith was inexplicably out of print. in fact, not only was it out of print as a stand alone film, but had then been re-released as a double feature with the Out of Towners remake, and that was out of print as well. The few copies you could still get on Amazon were selling for over $100 new for the double feature, and the stand alone was simply no longer available. Used copies were going for more than $75, and I wasn't interested in paying that much. About a month ago one of the sellers lowered their price on a new DVD to $20, so I bought it. And then out of nowhere, Paramount repressed some new stand alone discs for Amazon Prime selling for $20. I would have preferred owning the stand alone since I don't like risking the scratching of the double sided disk.

Who knows, maybe they will finally put this film on Blu-ray. I am not only surprised it wasn't, but that it has so far only been released as a no thrills DVD, and has been allowed to go out of print. Just the cast alone is impressive. Steve Martin, Debra Winger, Liam Neeson, Lolita Davidovich, Lukas Haas, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Meatloaf. The plot is pretty basic. Martin is the Reverend Jonas Nightengale, a con man traveling the country as a  tent show preacher who pretends to the the power to read minds and heal. While on the road a truck in his caravan breaks down and they get stuck in a small town.  With the truck stuck in the shop for at least a few days, Jonas decides to set up his tent in the town, much to the chagrin of the town sheriff ( Neeson ) who recognizes Jonas for the conman he is. Martin plays Jonas strait, and delivers what I think was his all time best performance. ( Then again, I haven't seen all of his films. But take it from me, this is a performance worth watching. ) Manipulative? Sure. Predictable ending where the town ends up changing Martin and some of his cohorts? Sure. But never the less I ended up loving it. 

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18538 on: March 25, 2019, 07:05:47 AM »

Will we watch the last third tonight? A more exciting question than anything going on in the film.

Solo was... fine.  Who cares is an understandable question, but I really don't think it is a bad film, just a slight one.  It helped that the backlash was making me expect something worse.  And there are good individual moments and Donald Glover shines as Lando.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18539 on: March 25, 2019, 07:16:48 AM »

Solo was... fine.  Who cares is an understandable question, but I really don't think it is a bad film, just a slight one.  It helped that the backlash was making me expect something worse.  And there are good individual moments and Donald Glover shines as Lando.
This. All of this. Especially Donald Glover.

I don't know what their plan is for this new series of films (if there even is a plan anymore after the disappointing box office and reception). But I think it would be really clever to have the connected trilogy each told from the point of view of various characters. So this one was from the perspective of Han Solo, the next one was from the perspective of Boba Fett, and the third is from the perspective of Lando.