login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1732169 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18855 on: September 28, 2019, 07:34:40 AM »
The 400 Blows

This is my first Truffaut movie and man is it worthy of the praise I long heard it got.  Its absolutely heartbreaking.  It's about the private world of children and one boy in particular as his rebellious nature is generally handled very poorly by the adults in his life: his teacher just yells at him and torments him assuming this will get him to change his ways.  His parents sometimes seem to care and his mom even makes an effort to connect and support him at one point but when things go wrong, she is more interested in letting someone else take responsibility.  As sad as it is, it is not without joy either.  When he skips school, we are happy for him, largely.  They don't feel like "oh, no, he's mortgaging his future" (though we know there will be fallout), we actually get to see him have fun.  He develops a genuine love for the writer Balzac where he makes an actual shrine to him.  On a rare occasion, his family does actually have a fun, happy outing.  It makes it all the more heartbreaking when the inattentiveness of adults damn this kid.  They think they are meeting the kid half way but only doing it on their specific terms where they don't have to probe too deeply (even in their better moments, the adults relate to them in a "when I was a kid" way) inconvenience to them is met with anger.

Don't get me wrong, I think the lead character is probably tough to handle in a lot of ways.  He is truly rebellious, not out of some principle but out of trying to figure himself out.  But he's also someone who wants to be loved and accepted and do something right for once.  He has a passion for the arts.  Its understandable why the adults in his life would be exhausted with him at times.  He's not a wide-eyed innocent.  But what he needs is something that no adult in his life seems either capable or willing to provide.  They probably just don't know what to do and the boy suffers for it.

The funny thing is, after watching the movie I thought "I would love to catch up with this character later on in life."  And it turns out, there are 4!  I should really check those out.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 76
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #18856 on: September 28, 2019, 10:33:05 AM »
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978)

I didn't realize Netflix had so many classic martial arts films and I've been meaning to watch this movie for ages given it's connection with the hip hop group Wu-Tang Clan and I wasn't disappointed with this at all. Great action from the very start with an interesting story arc and character growth while there's hardly a dull moment. The story follows San Te while he learns and trains under the Shaolin monks in order to bring the knowledge of martial arts style to his people and liberate them from the oppressive government. I really dig the way this one build up as it went along learning all the different components that make up the discipline.  Every fight scene was exciting even the training that leads up to San Te inventing a new weapon and ending up teaching a new chamber as a master.  I highly recommend this one!
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #18857 on: September 29, 2019, 06:27:08 AM »
Yeah, it's tremendously fun.  I love training story arcs in things and watch a character improve and that's largely what this movie is.  We don't get many full on fights until the last act.  The sequel isn't as good but is still worth checking out and very much inspired by the popularity of Jackie Chan.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #18858 on: September 29, 2019, 09:12:13 AM »
Midsommar
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8772262/

Awesome horror movie about a wacked-out cult.  Essentially a slow-boil bad-acid trip. 

Despite a runtime of 2h18m I never got bored.  There was always something to look at or think about.

Two thumbs up.

PSA: If you're one of those fools who takes psychadelics do NOT take them before this movie. 

I'd be interested to hear your take on the significance of the ending, particularly the last shot.

I loovvvveee this movie  I've seen it twice in theaters (one of the times being the director's cut).  I've posted about it a couple times in this thread now. 

What is your take on the ending?  I've had more time to think about it, so I'd like to hear you go first.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 76
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #18859 on: September 29, 2019, 09:30:34 AM »
The Flying Guillotine (1975)

I actually mistook this movie for another film Master of the Flying Guillotine (1976) which I still plan to watch and is mostly unrelated despite the titles.  The premise is basically that this terrible weapon is created and when one of the emperor's best assassin becomes a fugitive he has to create something to counter this nearly unstoppable force.  There's a lot of blood and gore in this one and brutal decapitations to the point where it's pretty silly.  If you can get over how bizarre that is then it's a solid enough to enjoy but don't plan on watching it again.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 222
« Reply #18860 on: September 29, 2019, 01:49:47 PM »
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978)

I didn't realize Netflix had so many classic martial arts films and I've been meaning to watch this movie for ages given it's connection with the hip hop group Wu-Tang Clan and I wasn't disappointed with this at all.

The Dragon Dynasty release has RZA on the commentary track. It was perhaps one of the best commentary tracks on any of the Dragon Dynasty releases, and that especially includes the Ric Meyers commentary tracks where all he did was read text from Wikipedia instead of commenting on what was going on screen.

Yeah, it's tremendously fun.  I love training story arcs in things and watch a character improve and that's largely what this movie is.  We don't get many full on fights until the last act.  The sequel isn't as good but is still worth checking out and very much inspired by the popularity of Jackie Chan.

Lau Kar Leung hated doing the sequel. It was supposed to have been a continuation of San Te's life, but Shaw Brothers wanted a comedy. So instead the film was about a con-artists impersonating San Te, and eventually conning his way into Shaolin to learn real martial arts, where he self teaches himself Rooftop Kung Fu. The third film was back to being a drama, but with comedy relief, which was a compromise Lau Kar Leung could live with. But Shaw Brothers really went overboard on making martial arts comedies after the surprise success of Snake in the Eagles Shadow

The Flying Guillotine (1975)

I actually mistook this movie for another film Master of the Flying Guillotine (1976) which I still plan to watch and is mostly unrelated despite the titles.  The premise is basically that this terrible weapon is created and when one of the emperor's best assassin becomes a fugitive he has to create something to counter this nearly unstoppable force.  There's a lot of blood and gore in this one and brutal decapitations to the point where it's pretty silly.  If you can get over how bizarre that is then it's a solid enough to enjoy but don't plan on watching it again.

Master of the Flying Guillotine was a partial rip-off of Flying Guillotine as by this time in his career Jimmy Wang Yu was doing nothing original. His film was also called One Armed Boxer 2 and was a sequel to the first One Armed Boxer film. Of course, One Armed Boxer was a duel rip-off of One Armed Swordsman and The Chinese Boxer, two successful Shaw Brothers films Wang Yu had starred in, but no longer had the rights to once he left Shaw Brothers. By this time Wang Yu was no longer making films for Golden Harvest ( after Man From Hong Kong and Queen's Ransom tanked )  and he began making films for a lot of independent producers, all of which featured one armed characters.  As for The Flying Guillotine, it was the first film to feature the weapon, and was apparently successful enough for the weapon to be used in other films, such as Fatal Flying Guillotine with Carter Wong. Shaw Brothers even made a sequel themselves.   Ric Meyers had this film on his all time worst martial arts movies list. His review was simple:"A hatbox with teeth". Then again, he hated a couple of my favorite Shaw Brothers films as well.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 222
« Reply #18861 on: September 29, 2019, 09:51:28 PM »
Police Story 2 ( 1988 )
How do you top one of the greatest action films of all time? Well, you don't. The whole point of Police Story was for Jackie Chan to redeem himself from The Protector,  the lackluster police drama he had made in America. The Protector was the exact formula film that made Steven Seagal an action star, but was a complete waste of Chan's talents. So. to prove he was capable of way better in the same genre, he made Police Story. The reason for Police Story 2 was because Golden Harvest wanted sequels. Not that Police Story 2 isn't an outstanding action film, but it just doesn't have any of the major set pieces that the first movie had. But it's biggest flaw is that the studio seemed to need to bring back every single character from the first film. Which made sense with Jackie's girlfriend May and his fellow cops. But did they really need to bring back the villain Chu and all his henchmen from the first film? When last seen at the end of the first film, they had all been arrested for crimes including the murder of a police detective. However, in the beginning of this film we find out only Chu went to prison, and has just gotten out early because he is dying of some sort of unnamed disease. So for the first half of the film Chu's men harass  Jackie and May. And then, they are all replaced with a different group of villains. When Chu is finally revisited near the end of the film, he is in his death bed, and his men are ready to abandon him. They didn't need to be in the film, and the couple of fight scenes Jackie had with them could have been given to the film's real villains. In Police Story Jackie punched John Ko right in the face, smashing his glasses. In Police Story 2 that gag is repeated over and over and over again. It all sort of reminded me how Die Hard II seemed to need to have every character return, and then repeat every gag from the first one, including the wife punching out the same reporter.

But despite it's flaws, Police Story 2 is a high quality film. There is  legitimate tension in a scene where a mall has been evacuated for a bomb threat, and Jackie walks back in to retrieve a child's ball that had rolled into it. Done in slow motion, you feel the mall will explode at any second. And after all of that, the bomb does go off when you least expect it for a legitimate jump scare. Uncle Bill's reaction to May walking in on him while he is on the toilet is very funny. It's a shame most Hong Kong comedies seem to have only one gag that works very well while the rest fall flat. And the fight scenes are among Jackie's best work. In fact, the scene where Chu's men ambush Jackie in a playground was restaged beat for beat in the cartoon series Jackie Chan Adventures

Logan ( 2017 )
There was the X-Men trilogy, followed by what was suppose to be a series of origin films that became the Wolverine trilogy. I am not sure if this is supposed to take place in the original time line, or the altered time line Wolverine created in Days of Future Past, but it doesn't quite match up with either. Needless to say it actually wraps up the entire X-Men franchise by explaining why only three mutants are left in the X-Men universe, and why the X-Men are no longer around. And then letting us know the final fates of all three surviving mutants. It is actually a nice touching action film that would have made a perfect end to the original X-Men move franchise, or would have been if 20th Century Fox hadn't f&%ked it all up by releasing Dark Phoenix two years later. ( To be fair, I have not seen Dark Phoenix yet, so for all I know it could be an excellent X-Men film that all you crybabies found something wrong with. )

Stormy Tempest: Attack of the Giantess ( 2009 )
Now, normally with Saturday Night Live back for another season, I don't have the time for a third film. That is until I found out this film was only 15 minutes long. That's right. Only one movie on the DVD, and it's only 15 minutes long! Actually, thank God for that.  Space cop in a superhero outfit Stormy Tempest goes to a planet to destroy some sort of illegal weapon they have, but then goes through some sort of anomaly that causes her and her spacecraft to grow ten times larger. She is transported onto the planet, where the atmosphere causes her to temporarily lose her mind and begin rampaging around a city like Godzilla, and eventually picking people up and eating them before being beamed back onto her ship where she regains her mind. The sound on this film is terrible. Almost all of the dialog is so low in the mix that you can't heart it above the music and sound effects. The city and it's inhabitants are all very cheap CGI. It is just barely entertaining, but at the least ends just as it's novelty wears off.

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #18862 on: September 30, 2019, 05:21:44 AM »
Midsommar

Awesome horror movie about a wacked-out cult.  Essentially a slow-boil bad-acid trip. 

Despite a runtime of 2h18m I never got bored.  There was always something to look at or think about.

Two thumbs up.

PSA: If you're one of those fools who takes psychadelics do NOT take them before this movie. 

I'd be interested to hear your take on the significance of the ending, particularly the last shot.

I loovvvveee this movie  I've seen it twice in theaters (one of the times being the director's cut).  I've posted about it a couple times in this thread now. 

What is your take on the ending?  I've had more time to think about it, so I'd like to hear you go first.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:32:16 AM by F-Zero »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #18863 on: September 30, 2019, 06:38:12 AM »
Midsommar

Two thumbs up.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 06:39:44 AM by Variety of Cells »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3325
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18864 on: September 30, 2019, 07:20:45 PM »
The 400 Blows

This is my first Truffaut movie and man is it worthy of the praise I long heard it got.  Its absolutely heartbreaking.  It's about the private world of children and one boy in particular as his rebellious nature is generally handled very poorly by the adults in his life: his teacher just yells at him and torments him assuming this will get him to change his ways.  His parents sometimes seem to care and his mom even makes an effort to connect and support him at one point but when things go wrong, she is more interested in letting someone else take responsibility.  As sad as it is, it is not without joy either.  When he skips school, we are happy for him, largely.  They don't feel like "oh, no, he's mortgaging his future" (though we know there will be fallout), we actually get to see him have fun.  He develops a genuine love for the writer Balzac where he makes an actual shrine to him.  On a rare occasion, his family does actually have a fun, happy outing.  It makes it all the more heartbreaking when the inattentiveness of adults damn this kid.  They think they are meeting the kid half way but only doing it on their specific terms where they don't have to probe too deeply (even in their better moments, the adults relate to them in a "when I was a kid" way) inconvenience to them is met with anger.

Don't get me wrong, I think the lead character is probably tough to handle in a lot of ways.  He is truly rebellious, not out of some principle but out of trying to figure himself out.  But he's also someone who wants to be loved and accepted and do something right for once.  He has a passion for the arts.  Its understandable why the adults in his life would be exhausted with him at times.  He's not a wide-eyed innocent.  But what he needs is something that no adult in his life seems either capable or willing to provide.  They probably just don't know what to do and the boy suffers for it.

The funny thing is, after watching the movie I thought "I would love to catch up with this character later on in life."  And it turns out, there are 4!  I should really check those out.

I've never checked out the rest of the Donnel series, but I do generally really enjoy Truffaut.
FINE

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #18865 on: September 30, 2019, 07:24:54 PM »
Midsommar

Two thumbs up.

LOL nice.  thx for posting that. :)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #18866 on: October 01, 2019, 05:17:13 PM »
Saw The Death of Dick Long and enjoyed it quite a bit.  It's by the guys who made Swiss Army Man.  It has a similar tone: a ridiculous premise that's played very straight and honestly by its characters.  They have a knack for that kind of comedy.  This movie isn't as special effects heavy as SAM, or as high concept, but It's still very good.  I don't think it's getting a very wide release at all, but once it starts streaming I highly recommend it.  It has a bunch of believably stupid characters, and a few really endearing ones. 

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 334
« Reply #18867 on: October 04, 2019, 05:27:59 AM »
Well, I'm streaming the Criterion Channel now so can post movies here once and a while.

Recently watched:

Fog of War.

Wow, I really dark plunge into the nature of war and how swept up people can be in the fog that is not only war, but the politics that govern and enforce those conflicts.

Adu and her Friends

By the same Italian director who made one of my favorite movies I knew her Well. This is one of best films about sex workers I've ever seen. Treating them as human beings, full-fledged characters without moralizing about their choices and quite funny too.

Night Nurse

Pre-code Barbra Stanwyck blows me away. Tended to moralize too much in the end but I love how without sentiment the film was for the most part, especially the wonderful early scenes with Stanwyck and her friend.

Offline chukaluk

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18868 on: October 05, 2019, 09:04:41 AM »
Octaman.  Nope.  Nope.  No way.  No effing way.  No.  Never again.

Oh, about Truffaut above.  Yeah, the Antoine Doinel movies are cute and whatever, but before his shockingly early death, he made a few interesting movies, like The Man Who Loved Women, and the enigmatic The Green Room, somewhat supposedly based on the James novella "The Beast In The Jungle" (it really is not, IMHO, but also IMHO despite the many attempts, there's not been any good adaptation of James's fiction to screen...some OK movies, but they're not much to do with the novels except for boring crap like plot and characters, which isn't the point).

I'm looking forward to The Amazing Mr. X, photographed by Robert Alton.  I've never seen it before but was finally able to find a copy I could access.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 09:07:00 AM by chukaluk »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6576
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18869 on: October 06, 2019, 06:04:51 PM »
You Might Be The Killer (2019) - This was really good! It's on Shudder. It stars Fran Kranz (who played the stoner dude in Cabin In The Woods) and Allyson Hannigan. It's about a guy running from a killer at a summer camp talking with his friend over the phone and slowly remembering more and more of the prior day's events. It's a funny horror comedy, and has a lot of fun with horror tropes (better than Scream ever did, IMHO).