login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1732570 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 222
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18795 on: September 01, 2019, 06:30:28 PM »
Split ( 2016 )
So...  I can't say why I watched this film, or anything else about it without spoiling something, so let me just say it is surprisingly good. And for the full review for those who have seen it already...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3325
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18796 on: September 01, 2019, 07:53:07 PM »
Finally got around the The Wind Rises (we've owned it for years in our Miyazaki box set, and it was the only of his films we hadn't seen).

Quite good, but not one of his best. Some amazing sequences. From someone with lesser previous achievements, it would probably be quite astounding.
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3091
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18797 on: September 01, 2019, 08:00:36 PM »
The Dark Crystal (1982)

Since I watched the new series on Netflix I figured I should watch the movie (also on Netflix).

The series is far more complex, more happens in one episode of the series than happens in the movie.

Now that I've seen the movie I'm not sure I want to see a 2nd season of the series, things will have to go very badly to make the series line up with the movie.

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5531
« Reply #18798 on: September 01, 2019, 08:45:05 PM »
Honestly I haven't heard anything about them planning a second season.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #18799 on: September 02, 2019, 05:10:11 AM »
Saw Midsommar again last night. They were showing the director’s cut in theaters over the weekend. Was interesting to see a little more into the character’s thoughts, but I ultimately prefer the theatrical cut. There was a night scene in the director’s cut which was unnecessary and also takes away from eeriness of the sun never quite setting.

Still love this film though. One of my new favorite films of all time. Picked up on even more foreshadowing this time. The horror in this film is much less about being surprised, and much more about the inevitability of what you know is coming. And while I laughed at some funny parts the first time, I now see that this film is legitimately really funny. Doesn’t fall into taking itself too seriously, which often takes me out of a film.

It’s not going to be for everyone, but I recommend giving this film a shot when it comes out on video.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1090
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #18800 on: September 02, 2019, 09:13:33 AM »
Kong: Skull Island - This wasn't bad, it was alright but it was nowhere near as great as Godzilla: King of the Monsters. The performances were great, I loved Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, Samuel Jackson and the surprise appearance of John C Reilly really injected a lot of much needed fun into the film. I just felt that like 2014 Godzilla there was a bit too much exposition and talky scenes. Now Godzilla KOTM had some of that, but that movie seemed to have less of that, like it was more well-spaced out, plus the stakes were more well-defined in KOTM. In Skull Island... it's just about a bunch of people trying to get off the island.

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #18801 on: September 02, 2019, 12:45:52 PM »
Jim Jarmouche's The Dead Don't Die.

A complete waste of your life.  Avoid.  You're welcome.

Offline Buckshot52

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18802 on: September 03, 2019, 07:05:46 AM »
Watched Lion King. Why this movie ever exists!

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #18803 on: September 03, 2019, 08:02:47 AM »
Jim Jarmouche's The Dead Don't Die.

A complete waste of your life.  Avoid.  You're welcome.
I actually kind of liked it. I can understand why you and others didn't, but for some oddball reason the movie worked pretty well for me, especially considering my off the wall sense of humor.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 539
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18804 on: September 03, 2019, 03:12:12 PM »
Watched Lion King. Why this movie ever exists!

But seriously, there's a demographic getting met here. It currently ranks as the 13th highest grossing film of ALL time... and it came out less than 2 months ago. Just the free market supplying the demand.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #18805 on: September 03, 2019, 05:52:38 PM »
I only saw the remake once but... at the risk of being lynched... I really liked it! I'd even go as far to say as that I liked it even more than the animated version.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #18806 on: September 04, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »
8 1/2

Finally got to see what is considered among the greatest movies of all time and... I liked it OK?  Intellectually, I get why it is so good, but I was never completely engaged with it.  However, some of my favourite bits are the melancholy flashbacks to the main character's childhood, which makes me think that Amarcord will be more my bag.  But it is a gorgeous-looking movie to be sure, with moments of real beauty and humor.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3325
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18807 on: September 04, 2019, 07:43:36 PM »
8 1/2

Finally got to see what is considered among the greatest movies of all time and... I liked it OK?  Intellectually, I get why it is so good, but I was never completely engaged with it.  However, some of my favourite bits are the melancholy flashbacks to the main character's childhood, which makes me think that Amarcord will be more my bag.  But it is a gorgeous-looking movie to be sure, with moments of real beauty and humor.

I like 8 1/2, but yeah, I had to ease in with Fellini.

My wife and I like to work through a director's output chronologically (as much as possible using our blu ray collection and whatever else we can reasonably easily/legally access, anyway), and Fellini is probably up next. Tossing up between him and Satyajit Ray. We have quite a few unwatched movies from both in our collect acquired in the last year.

I've talked about Fellini and Amarcord before, but I'll give a plug for City of Women which is bonkers and fun to watch and a lot less on the nose than you might think a movie about an aging Italian man coming to grips with feminism might be,
FINE

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #18808 on: September 05, 2019, 08:48:59 AM »
I watched several movies over the past day or two so bear with me guys.
Black Dynamite - In short... this was a LOT of fun. I laughed my ass off at several moments during this movie. I highly recommend it.

Love at first bite - I've always felt George Hamilton has an excellent screen presence in pretty much anything he's in. As the character of the classic Count Dracula I always thought in spite of the fact that Love at first bite is a comedy, he absolutely nailed that role because of how much talent and charm he has. Susan St. James is really great as Cindy Sondheim, not to mention hot and sexy. Richard Benjamin stands out as Doctor Rosenberg. For some reason he looks like he should be in a movie from the 1950's. Love at First bite still has me laughing to this day.

I have a special affection for this movie in large part because I first watched it when I was a little kid. I liked it a lot back then and somehow I think it's actually aged pretty well. It's a comedy that still works even by today's standards. In any case it's still quite a few notches above something like "Dracula, dead and loving it.".

Once Bitten - I'm only watching this because it was on the same blu-ray disc as Love at first bite. Anyway, I don't think Once Bitten is nearly as good as Love at first bite. This was LONG before Jim Carrey became a household name and literally talked out his ass. I mean... to be fair the movie isn't really bad, it just kind of exists. It's got Lauren Hutton when that woman was at her prime so she is wonderfully easy on the eyes. My problem was that this is supposed to obviously be a comedy but I didn't find myself laughing at all... except for one line towards the end of the movie, and I quote: "He wants me because I'm nice and sweet and pure, so fuck off!"

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 539
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18809 on: September 05, 2019, 09:55:44 AM »
I watched several movies over the past day or two so bear with me guys.
Black Dynamite - In short... this was a LOT of fun. I laughed my ass off at several moments during this movie. I highly recommend it.

One of the best comedies of the decade imo.