Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1536790 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5641
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17895 on: March 09, 2018, 06:25:14 AM »
Get Out - This was good. It's essentially a very creative and well done update of The Stepford Wives. The acting is great across the board.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #17896 on: March 09, 2018, 05:33:17 PM »
Inside Out

"Oh no, these facts and opinions look so similar"
"Oh don't worry about that, happens all the time."

The whole movie was worth it just for that one line... But yeah, the rest of the movie was also great.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
« Reply #17897 on: March 10, 2018, 09:06:33 PM »
Last Jedi
Finally got around to seeing this today. Enjoyed it a lot more than I was expected. Yeah, could have done without Leah flying through space without a space suit and the ewok penguins (and maybe 45 minutes of run time), but the good outoutweighed the bad. Would put it on my list of Star Wars movies as number 2 (behind Rogue One).

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 512
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17898 on: March 10, 2018, 09:54:20 PM »
Thank you Wihogfan, while I personally may find that may not be the most ringing endorsement, I can at least appreciate your viewpoint.

Watched Thor: Ragnarok. YES, again. I don't hate to say it guys, because I think this movie gets better with repeated viewings, and also in large part because with this viewing I barely noticed time passing at all. I think I said this before, but everybody gave.... MARVEL-ous performances. Sorry. Yeah, great performances from all involved, great villain, great drama but most importantly this movie had great spirit. Anyways, joke-heavy or not, it's a great film and a great time, especially if you've been following the MCU as closely as I have since 2008.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5083
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17899 on: March 11, 2018, 06:01:09 AM »
A Silent Voice

Sadly, the only way to watch this in most English-speaking countries is through fan subs.  That's a shame, because it is a really good, beautiful movie that NEEDS to get picked up by a distributor.  Based on the manga of the same name, the film is about a young brash boy who ends up bullying the new girl in school, a deaf girl.  Eventually, the bullying gets her to leave the school and the class (including people who were passively letting it happen or partaking in some low key bullying) turns on him.  Both the shunning and guilt of what he did makes it impossible for him to make friends.  Years later in high school, he sees the girl again and tries to make amends and they become friends.

It's a really powerful melodrama about the nature of bullying and what it means to be empathetic, forgiving and a good friend and it really is a powerful peace of work that deserves to be seen.  Luckily, you can seek out the manga, which is also really good I'm told.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #17900 on: March 11, 2018, 10:32:48 AM »
Thank you Wihogfan, while I personally may find that may not be the most ringing endorsement, I can at least appreciate your viewpoint.
That is about the most ringing endorsement I'm likely to give a Star Wars movie. Loved the original trilogy as a kid, but I find them hard to watch as an adult- a lot of terrible acting and dialog that makes me cringe when I hear it. Not a popular opinion, but mine.
While I understand a lot is done to make the movies appeal to kids/sell toys, the thing I've liked about the Disney SW movies has been the lack of too many "nerf herder" comments (and when used, they've mostly been used for laughs) and no whiny Mark Hammil emoting. I thought the Force Awakens was OK, but the plot was too much of a rehash of New Hope and Return, but really enjoyed Rogue One and Last Jedi.
Hope I'm wrong about the Han Solo flick, but there is just so much that can go wrong with that story that I'm predicting Disney's first SW dud.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #17901 on: March 11, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »
I know what you mean about the original trilogy having some dialogue that makes you cringe. I'd say Jedi was the worst offender. The worst of the worst, in my opinion, is that scene in the Ewok village where Luke is telling Leia why he has to go face Vader. A precursor to every single Anakin / Padme scene that would come twenty years later.

Since you brought up Luke, I'll use this is as a chance to address all the idiots who complained that Luke "Isn't the same character anymore." And, I'd GET IT, if this was just some derpy, insufferable college kids in their "I-know-everything-because-I've-been-living-in-a-dorm-for-half-a-semester" phase saying that, someone who hasn't seen jack shit of life yet and thinks he'll be the same person he is now for the rest of his life.

But it's not, it's people MY AGE or even older than me saying it. People old enough to know better, at any rate. I'm gonna be 35 soon, so, I've got about half the time passed since my early 20s as Luke does (he was 52, I think). I'm already not the same person I was when I was Luke's age at the end of Jedi. My life was just beginning and so was his. And I haven't been through anything even CLOSE to the shit that Luke has.

Anyone who thought he was just gonna stay frozen in time is a moron. A lot of people thought that.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #17902 on: March 11, 2018, 06:48:34 PM »
I have seen so many negative opinions on Facebook about The Last Jedi and I'm just flabbergasted. Sure, I can ignore it and keep going or I can just express my own positive opinion and walk away, but if I'm in a position where I feel like I have to respond, I try very hard to always be super, super nice about it. In fact, I think I can in all honesty say I've always been super nice about it.

I understood that Luke changed and why, so I don't know why so many people found that to be such an offensive aspect of The Last Jedi. I totally appreciated who he became and why. Sometimes you see things and stuff that happens to you in life makes you cynical or hopeless, and it makes you want to go into exile. What I'm trying to say is that I had no trouble reconciling all this in my head. The Last Jedi was deep, it had themes about redemption, hope, and self-sacrifice, and I truly admire those traits because that's what Star Wars was about when it was at its best.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #17903 on: March 11, 2018, 07:06:19 PM »
Well, Luke getting older and changing his outlook on things was by no means any issue I had with Last Jedi (I would have been disappointed if he hadn't). I could make an issue of some of Kylo Ren's (sp?) motivation if I really wanted to, but I was willing to overlook that. My only problems were really the Leah flying through space thing and some of the obvious attempts to introduce things to sell toys (the cute but needless penguin like things). I could also nitpick some of the plot decisions (Laura Dern being overly obstinent in not letting on to her her plan) but I really liked it overall. Was never bored, and that's not something I can say about most movies that last more than 2 hours.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #17904 on: March 11, 2018, 07:21:30 PM »
My only problems were really the Leah flying through space thing
My audience actually cheered during that part when I first saw the movie, and I cheered along with them. I was like "Frickin' finally, she's actually using the force!".

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17905 on: March 11, 2018, 09:26:04 PM »
My audience actually cheered during that part when I first saw the movie, and I cheered along with them. I was like "Frickin' finally, she's actually using the force!".

In the novel for Return Of The Jedi she unknowingly uses the force when she strangles Jabba, she doesn't understand at the time where the extra strength came from.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #17906 on: March 11, 2018, 10:06:20 PM »
A Chinese Odyssey Part 1: Pandora's Box ( 1995 ) Another two part film starring Stephen Chow. This is far more tolerable than Royal Tramp, but still a failed comedy. And yet, The Monkey King is the film role that Chow was born to play. My only problem is the plot for part 1 has Chow playing a different character and only portraying Monkey King for a single scene. For those of you not familiar with the Monkey King, legends of the character first appeared in China around the year 1,000. When the novel Journey to the West  was written 600 years later,  the mischievous Monkey King became one of the three deities who were sent to accompany a Buddhist monk to a temple in India to retrieve and return with sacred scrolls. The novel has been the source of several movies, including one made for American television.

This movie is a sort of sequel to Journey to the West where the Monkey King and Water Buffalo are being punished by a goddess for turning on the Buddhist  monk, causing his failure to bring the religious documents to the East. When Monkey King insults the Goddess and threatens to fight her, he is sentenced to death. But the monk begs for Monkey King's life, and sacrifices himself in Monkey King's place.

After that confusing opening, the story shifts to a desert inn 500 years later. The inn is currently in control of a gang of bandits lead by Stephen Chow. Two beautiful women show up, each who turn out to be demons. According to prophecy, the Buddhist monk is about to reincarnate in the region, and the only one who can find him is the Monkey King, who is also a reincarnation, and could possibly be the bandit leader. The demons motivation for finding the monk is that whoever finds him can ascend to Heaven.

Much of the film is characters running around the place, occasional attempting to kill each other. Throughout the film Chow is accused of being the reincarnation of Monkey King, which he occasional claims to be when scamming another character. But it is not until the final scene in the film that we discover if he really is Monkey King's reincarnation, after which the film abruptly ends with a "too be continued".

This is a highly regarded fantasy film. But it feels like nothing happened in it's 90 minute running time other than setting up the second film in the series. There are plenty of effects, but as with any 90s fantasy film, those effects are dated. And it is a failed comedy. The film's idea of humor is having Chow's crotch catch fire again and again, each time the only way to put it out is for one or more of Chow's men to stamp on it. Still it is just entertaining enough that I am interested in seeing part two next week rather than dreading it.

Doctor Strange ( 2016 )
After many weeks of some of the worst superhero films ever made, it is a relief to be watching an MCU film. This is the third go round for Doctor Strange, the first being a very low budget 1978 made for tv movie/failed pilot. The second being the film Doctor Mordrid in 1992 which was supposed to be a low budget Doctor Strange film, but with the names of the characters changed at the last minute when the producer lost the film rights to the comic. Both films were terrible, although nowhere as bad as what I have seen in the previous weeks. Their sin was attempting to do Doctor Strange on a low budget, the results being something drawn out and boring. If you are going to do Doctor Strange then you need a budget to bring his mystical world to life, otherwise it is nothing more than a waste of everyone's time. Fortunately Marvel pulls this off, and you enjoy the film despite it's paper thin plot.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5641
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17907 on: March 12, 2018, 05:45:23 PM »

In the novel for Return Of The Jedi she unknowingly uses the force when she strangles Jabba, she doesn't understand at the time where the extra strength came from.
I like that idea, if they had used it in the film for Leah to realize she has greater potential.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #17908 on: March 12, 2018, 05:48:49 PM »
Paterson (2016, Jim Jarmusch) is the most lovable film I've seen in years. Jarmusch could have extended this into a seven-hour work - hell, a twenty-hour one -- and I would be completely satiated just to watch and vicariously share the humble routines of Paterson, his lovely wife Laura, and Marvin, their crotchety bulldog, over weeks, months, years of their lives.

Drawing upon Ozu, the film establishes the daily rituals of Paterson's everyday life and then presents small variations, repeating the same framings and moments with slightly different content each time. Paterson drives a bus, writes poetry on his lunch breaks, overhears interesting conversations from his passengers, fixes his crooked mailbox, eats dinner prepared by his wife, takes the dog for a walk and stops at a neighborhood bar for a beer. Every morning begins with an overhead shot of Adam Driver and Golshifteh Farahani lying in bed, the compositions of their bodies evocating the simple happiness of their marriage and love for one another. We've seen images like this a thousand times, but somehow Jarmusch's minimalist style imbues these shots with a feeling of genuine love. The duration of the image and its ritualistic presentation takes us in, allows us to share in that love, rather than merely note it. The effect leaves you feeling elated.

And the repetitions within Paterson's dailiness are mirrored by an impish twinning sprinkled throughout the movie: Paterson just happens to live in Paterson, New Jersey; his spontaneous, artsy wife dreams of having twins, and he begins seeing twins everywhere; people keep making the same unlikely comments to him; his wife's spunky obsession with black-and-white touches everything within her reach, visually extending the theme; and Paterson's poetry is inspired by William Carlos Williams, whose name obviously features the same notion of doubling. His poetry (penned by poet Ron Padgett) has an everyday flavor, written in language so simple one might initially think it a joke, yet it morphs into sensations unexpectedly beautiful. Paterson, too, is a poetry of the everyday.

But to think that implies realism would be a mistake. In a sense, it's a fantasy. Jarmusch has always created multi-racial films marked by a positive interraciality. Paterson continues this worldview. There are no racial tensions between the white Paterson and the people of color who comprise almost everyone else in the film. Everyone is treated with respect, as human beings with their own quirks, no better or worse than anyone else. Even children are treated with maturity and respect, so that there is no thought of anything suspicious when Paterson befriends a young girl in an alley. Jarmusch isn't naive. He's showing us what our world could be, what it ought to be: a post-racial, post-oppressive place where dignity not be stated, fear has no place, and people relate to one another with openness and honesty. Imagine.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #17909 on: March 12, 2018, 05:53:11 PM »
I couldn't bring myself to watch that after how much I hated Only Lover Left Alive. I should probably give it a go.
FINE