Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1586099 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17865 on: March 03, 2018, 08:38:23 AM »
I like a good silly over the top satire now and then, but I agree that it can be a lot more effective when it's played straight. I love Airplane for all its zaniness, but there's a reason Leslie Nielsen acting deadpan is the part people quote.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17866 on: March 03, 2018, 10:48:16 AM »
On the commentary for Police Squad, they shared the secret to the Naked Gun movies. "It's not a joke to anyone in the movie."

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17867 on: March 03, 2018, 11:19:02 AM »
ANNIHILATION - It was...good. I  liked it quite a bit until the ending. And while I didn't hate the ending, it just left me cold.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:53:31 PM by Darth Geek »

Online wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 262
« Reply #17868 on: March 03, 2018, 12:26:23 PM »
Veronica (2017)
Spanish horror flick (subtitled not dubbed) on Netflix that got great reviews. One of those alledgedly based on a true story Catholic posession movies that usually scares the wife and bores me. In this one a school girl summons a demon with a Ouji board. The wife thought this one was boring. I thought it wasn't very original and wouldn't give it an overly positive review, but I've seen worse.

Online wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #17869 on: March 03, 2018, 07:53:18 PM »
Mute (2018)
Had been looking forward to this one for over a year and then the the reviews all were terrible. Definitely didn't warrant the terrible reviews. Not any where near as great as I was in initionally anticipating, but never boring and I would recommend it.
Mute bartender in the near future's girlfriend goes missing and It's about his search for her. Paul Rudd plays against his stereotype and is great.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #17870 on: March 04, 2018, 11:02:20 AM »
ANNIHILATION - It was...good. I  liked it quite a bit until the ending. And while I didn't hate the ending, it just left me cold.

saw this yesterday. decent movie. second worst adaptation i've seen after dark tower.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #17871 on: March 04, 2018, 04:35:12 PM »
Invisible Target ( 2007 )
Here is an action film directed by Benny Chan, no relation to Jackie Chan, but has directed a few of his films, including Who Am I? ( 1998 ) and Robin-B-Hood ( 2006 ). One of the stars of this film is Jaycee Chan, who is a relation of Jackie. His son, who's name is Jackie Chan,'s initials. ( J. C. )

It is a decent action film, but nothing in it particularly stands out. A gang of criminals rob an armoured car, blowing up an entire city street in the process and killing at least 17 civilians in the process. Among the dead was the fiancee of a police detective. Later some other detectives pull a van with the gang over, but they end up beating them up. The thugs then force the lead detective to swallow his own bullets. A task force is formed to track down the gang, but their only suspect is Jaycee Chan, a rookie cop who's detective brother went undercover with the gang and is suspected of permanently joining them when he fails to report in, and give them the intel which was the armored car's rout. After being interrogated by the task force, Jaycee is suspended from the force until he or his brother is cleared. The two other detectives, the one forced to eat the bullets and the one who's fiancee was killed, decide to follow Jaycee themselves. Eventually deciding he knows nothing of the heist, and bonding together when they have a run in with thugs in a bar, they decide to join together to track down the gang themselves, getting a break early on when they realize one of the security guards on the armored car was the inside man.

Like I said, a decent action film. But nowhere near the memorable action sequences you would find in Jaycee's father's films.

Rise of the Black Bat ( 2012 )
I had planned this to be a double feature with TopCat Studio's other Batman mockbuster The Black Knight Returns ( 2009 ), but it turns out that film is impossible to get. It appears to have only been released in North America as a streaming video, and the only DVD releases I can find are in Hong Kong and Germany. YesAsia had the Hong Kong DVD on their site, but an attempted to order it resulted in a quick refund and an apology email explaining that they can no longer sell that DVD in the United States. That leaves the only copies for sale being German DVDs on eBay, which are the wrong region code and PAL. Of course I could easily watch the movie for free on YouTube, even rip and burn it onto a DVD. But the whole point was to collect superhero films legitimately released on DVD. And if The Black Knight Returns is not released on DVD or Blu-ray then I don't want it.

The movie as described by it's reviews, is about a vigilante who wears knights armour which looks very similar to that of Batman, right down to the unnecessary cape. He even has a similar origin story with his parents being killed. I am not sure why this early attempt by TomCat at a superhero mockbuster was either never released or pulled from home video. Could it be that it was not different enough from Batman to prevent D.C. from taking legal action? Or perhaps it was the lawyers from Marvel. Had TomCat done a little research first, they would have discovered that Marvel already owned a superhero with the name Black Knight. Either way, from that point on TomCat only made superhero movies that were based on public domain characters.

Which brings us to The Black Bat. Better known to die hard Batman fans as "The Other Batman", published the same time Bob Kane introduced his Batman. The character first appeared in 1933, introduced by Thrilling Publications in a pulp magazine. At that time he was just a regular private detective with a creepy nickname. The magazine failed to sell, and was cancelled a year later. In 1939, shortly after the first Batman comics were published, Thrilling brought back The Black Bat as a reboot. This time he was a vigilante who wore a black costume with a cowl and cape, and hat bat like abilities, such as being able to see in the dark. D.C. was quick to accuse Thrilling of stealing their Batman character. Thrilling countered that Bob Kane had stolen their Black Bat character, and to prove it they had a cover from one of the 1933 magazines where The Black Bat was wearing the black costume. While the character in the text never wore a costume, the artist assigned to the cover decided to embellish the character. Both D.C. and Thrilling were convinced they had a good case against the other and were ready to go to court when an employee who did work for both publishers negotiated a deal where both characters would co-exist. Batman would go on to phenomenal success while Black Bat only lasted a few years.

Then in 1961 Thrilling Publications went out of business, allowing all their pulp characters to end up in the public domain. that is where TomCat came in. It must have been Christmas for them, finding a character that was a direct ripoff of Batman that D.C. could not legally prevent them from using

The next step was to hire Brett Kelly to direct it. He had already directed Avenging Force: The Scarab,
 Thunderstorm: The Return of Thor and Agent Beetle for them, and was exactly what they wanted....a hack who could put a movie together with zero budget that they could match a misleading mockbuster box to. Kelly has directed dozens of films, none of which I know of has any favorable reviews. A filmography that includes My Fair Zombie, Raiders of the Lost Shark, Attack of the Jurassic Shark, Homicycle, Ghastlies and Spyfall. But apparently Rise of the Black Bat is the one that he would most like not to be associated with, as he insisted on taking his name off the film and giving directing credit to the fictitious Scott Patrick.

Well, this was exactly what you would expect from a TomCat production directed by Brett Kelly. A slow lethargic film where almost nothing happens at a snail's pace. Establishing shots that linger way too long; repeating footage that is slowed down to drag what should be a 30 second scene out to three minutes; 40 seconds of pointless footage of the moon between scenes; five minutes of conceptual artwork for the film turned into bad animation at the end of the movie; and ending credits where every name is spaced apart to the point where no more than three are on the screen at the same time, all slowed down so it lasts more than ten minutes. And let's not forget the bad acting.

They said this was Brett Kelly's worst film. I can't say for sure as a lot of his films seemed to have reached the same bottom of dullness. But I will give this the edge as the worst on a technicality. To further pad it out it reuses footage, an entire scene, from Agent Beetle. A ten minute bikini contest shoehorned into the beginning of that film. In this film the Black Bat decides to go undercover to buy information from an informant, who he meets in the back of a theater, where the contest is supposedly taking place. So disgusted as a pimp with a fake beard and mustache, Black Bat sits in the back of the theater, which then cuts to the ten minutes of bikini contest footage before we get back to Black Bat meeting the informant. The bikini contest was actually the highlight of Agent Beetle, but that is not saying much. The girls looked like whoever they could get at the last minute rather than pin-up models, and like anything else shot by Kelly, dragged on for way too long and had plenty of repeating footage.

But on to the film itself. Unusual for a Brett Kelly film, the superhero shows up at the beginning to take out some thugs guarding a warehouse, then gets into a shootout with the thugs inside. Black Bat is exactly like Batman, if Batman didn't have a utility belt, and shot villains with guns. One notable thing, his costume looks exactly like Bruce Wayne's proto Batman costume in Gotham.  In a voiceover, Black Bat asks "What am I doing here?" And says he is about to tell us. But instead of the promised flashback, we go to dragged out opening credits, followed by another dragged out scene where Black Bat prevents thugs from mugging a woman ( which for some reason is missing audio so we see the lips of characters moving but do not hear what they are saying. )

Finally, we get the promised flashback. The movie follows the same origin story from the pulp magazine, only what took half a page in the magazine is dragged out for 40 minutes. A crime lord arranges for the district attorney who has him on trial to have acid thrown in his face. ( And yes, Bob Kane borrowed this idea for the origin of Two Face.) The district attorney goes blind, and goes to Asia for some experimental eye surgery to restore his vision. The surgery is too good, as he discovers he can see in the dark. With this new power he decides to become the superhero Black Bat. His first mission, arrest the crime lord who blinded him.

Also, I'd like to point out that after a 40 or so minute origin tale explaining how Black Bat got his powers, he never actually uses them. There is never once a scene where Black Bat is in a pitch dark room where the thugs could not see, but he could see them.

Which brings us back to the same scene from the beginning of the film repeated. And an anticlimactic final act. After taking out all his men, Black Bat informs the crime lord that his wearhouse is full of enough evidence  ( the usual, drugs and guns ) to put him away for the rest of his life. But then I guess Brett Kelly wanted his film to end with the cliche shot of the hero walking away in slow motion while the bad guy's lair blows up behind him. So Black Bat tosses a stick of dynamite into the warehouse door and destroys it ( with bad CGI effects ). Hey, wait a second. Wasn't all the evidence in there?

And with that I come to the end of the mockbusters. As mentioned, there are no copies of The Black Knight Returns available. Another film, Antbabe, seems to only exist as a trailer. And since it is still in print, I am holding off on getting Asylum's The Sinister Squad. Otherwise I have run through all the superhero mockbusters I Know of. And now with the horror behind me, next week I begin the first of four Marvel films, three set in the MCU and one from the X-Men universe.

And now I go from writing about garbage to watching the Academy Awards. Good night.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:31:42 AM by stethacantus »

Online wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #17872 on: March 05, 2018, 06:09:10 PM »
Fateful Findings (2012)
Went into it not knowing anything about the plot and that’s really the best way to go into it. Every time I thought I’d heard the most unrealistic wooden dialog ever uttered in a movie, another line was thrown out that topped it. I so wanted (but didn’t quite get) the line “But Johnny’s never killed himself before!” but it came awfully close.
One of my favorite lines = “No one knows but you now" pause “but others have found out!” (And yes, many scenes of characters yelling their dialog that has no reason to be yelled.)
God awful terrible but sincere acting (i.e., not intentionally played for laughs or attempting to be bad, just bad at a level of bad you can't get if trying to be bad like Birdemic 2 or any Sharknado). In addition to not talking like real people, no one even drinks or eats or moves or interacts in any way like real humans.
Definitely needs/deserves a good riffing.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17873 on: March 05, 2018, 06:51:38 PM »
Coco

Watched this one with my folks.  A gorgeous movie with a touching story.  My only complaint is that I could predict most of the major plot beats and twists throughout the movie.  Still, it's Pixar, which means it does an amazing job tugging at the heartstrings and the world it creates is powerful and glorious stuff.  A lot of really good songs in this one, too.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 524
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #17874 on: March 05, 2018, 07:10:38 PM »
Coco

Watched this one with my folks.  A gorgeous movie with a touching story.  My only complaint is that I could predict most of the major plot beats and twists throughout the movie.  Still, it's Pixar, which means it does an amazing job tugging at the heartstrings and the world it creates is powerful and glorious stuff.  A lot of really good songs in this one, too.

I'm so behind on the past few Pixar films, which sucks, because I really want to see them. I really love that Coco was made with representation in mind. I can't stand the people complaining about the liberals taking away all mah white acter jerbs!

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17875 on: March 05, 2018, 10:02:38 PM »
Coco

I predicted...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17876 on: March 06, 2018, 06:24:33 AM »
Hah hah, just bought Thor Ragnarok from my local Wal-mart bright and early... well, not so bright but definitely EARLY. Anyway just got through watching it and loved it. Like I said before I think it drags in a couple places but that didn't prevent me from enjoying it immensely. Also, I don't think the humor ever undermines the movies drama. Now I only need to convince my folks to give it a watch...

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17877 on: March 06, 2018, 09:37:07 AM »
Hah hah, just bought Thor Ragnarok from my local Wal-mart bright and early... well, not so bright but definitely EARLY. Anyway just got through watching it and loved it. Like I said before I think it drags in a couple places but that didn't prevent me from enjoying it immensely. Also, I don't think the humor ever undermines the movies drama. Now I only need to convince my folks to give it a watch...

If you haven't seen it yet, watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople from the same director.  It's one of the best comedies of the decade, but also has a strong emotional core and a great performance from Sam Neil.

It also has this scene, which is hilarious.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/stcDA4NGoE0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/stcDA4NGoE0</a>

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #17878 on: March 06, 2018, 12:39:19 PM »

If you haven't seen it yet, watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople from the same director.  It's one of the best comedies of the decade, but also has a strong emotional core and a great performance from Sam Neil.

It also has this scene, which is hilarious.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/stcDA4NGoE0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/stcDA4NGoE0</a>

This was based on an actual funeral that Taika attended.  He tried to recreate it word for word.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17879 on: March 06, 2018, 01:31:30 PM »
That reminds me, I bought the DVD for Wilderpeople earlier this year and still haven't seen it. I saw WWDITS in January for the first time and LOVED it, so I immediately bought both on DVD.