Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1554501 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5675
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12750 on: May 26, 2013, 11:50:58 AM »
I think there's some good stuff in RotJ.  I think it looks great and I like the opening Jabba's Palace rescue.  The Ewoks spoil it and the repetition of the Death Star seems like Lucas not being able to think up anything original, but I think it's far better than the prequels.
I couldn't agree more with this. The Ewoks are stupid on many levels. But it bothers me most in it's  trying to give a "natural triumphs over technology" message when they are on the same side as the Rebels using LASER SWORDS and goddamn SPACESHIPS! Fuck that noise. It would have been stupid even if Lucas had used Wookies like he originally planned. And to have them be teddy bears is just downright saccarin.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12751 on: May 26, 2013, 01:54:50 PM »
ROTJ is my favorite.  The  Ewoks are cute and Hans is hot.  And the bikes racing through the forsest is cool.  Also enjoy when Chewie takes command of whe walker.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

MightyJack

« Reply #12752 on: May 26, 2013, 02:40:44 PM »
Lincoln
I wanted to see "Before Midnight".... but I found out that it only opened in NY, CA and Austin (?) and then will trickle out to the rest of the world over the next month. My city wont get it until June 14th (boo). Sooo, I rented this instead.

Good, solid, well made film. Day-Lewis' affectations are ever present (here it sounds like he's channeling Tom Petty and Bob Dylan) but despite that tick, he's as wonderful as ever.

It almost feels like a stage play, with plenty of interior shots -- there's not a lot of movement and Spielberg rarely opens it up. Still he manages to wring tension out of a story you know the ending too, and leans heavily on discourse.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 02:47:06 PM by George Harrison »

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #12753 on: May 26, 2013, 04:51:57 PM »
I did like how they were honest about how Lincoln wasn't a perfect man. He fought with his wife and deceived fellow politicians. It made him feel much more human.

« Reply #12754 on: May 27, 2013, 08:07:18 PM »
About 30 minutes into Beautiful Creatures.

I love the book and I'm southern.  And this movie is already too damn southern for me.  It's horrible.  But I'm gonna try to hang in there.

« Reply #12755 on: May 27, 2013, 11:35:39 PM »
oh man, it never got any better

Just horrible, even with Jeremy Irons.  Who by the way was the best part of this. 

Hope the same doesn't happen with the Mortal Instruments.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2614
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12756 on: May 28, 2013, 12:30:16 AM »
Origins: Spirits Of The Past

Pretty good story, if a little saccharine here and there, very nice animation.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #12757 on: May 28, 2013, 06:43:34 AM »
Fast and Furious 6 or Furious 6, or Fu6ious (the titles on these things)

While it is a big, dumb action movie, it's not as good as Fast Five. It looked cool for the most part, but there was plenty of bad CG.

On the side:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Robert Reed

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #12758 on: May 28, 2013, 08:00:40 AM »
The Tower (2012)

Korean version of Towering Inferno. 

Incredible effects.  Beautifully shot.  The characterizations were completely over the top and comically manipulative.  There was a stuck up rich lady ordering a lowly janitor "auntie" to clean up her dog's mess.  The lady janitor broke out into tears.  They even showed a cut-shot to the turd lol.

I think the subtitles were machine translated so a lot of times you had no idea what they were talking about.  A firefighter kept yelling "Province!" in his partner's face...?

I'll give it 4.5 stars for a korean film.  Entertaining.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #12759 on: May 28, 2013, 09:39:59 AM »
Finally saw Star Trek: Into Darkness yesterday. I did like it, although I had more problems with it than the previous film. I did absolutely LOVE seeing Kirk get rightfully scolded by the Admiral at the beginning!
Can we please just get a Star Trek movie about Scottie? Or maybe Spock goes on an adventure with Scottie and has occasional communicator interactions with Bones. Simon Pegg is one of my favorite parts of this, and I was glad they gave him a little more to do, but I wanted more.

Oh, and by the way, the communications officer that replaced Chekov when he went to Engineering? Um...is Transvestite an alien species now?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3143
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12760 on: May 28, 2013, 09:43:29 AM »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #12761 on: May 28, 2013, 09:54:30 AM »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #12762 on: May 28, 2013, 09:56:54 AM »
KHAN. not "Kahn."

KHAN.
D'oh, you're right. Which tells you that I'm not the biggest fan, or I would have known that.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #12763 on: May 29, 2013, 03:24:55 PM »

RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12764 on: May 29, 2013, 10:31:56 PM »
I'm sure that this probably makes me a bad horror fan, but I really don't like slasher movies. I say that, knowing full well that there's nuance to this statement. I love Halloween. It's odd, too, given that I was a good age at the time to become a fan of slasher movies. The main wave of the slasher movie peaked when I was 10 or 11. I was spending most weekends tearing through horror sections at rental stores. I was a prime audience for them. But somehow, they never took hold of my affections. It's not like I wasn't a fan of violent movies at the time. Not at all. I LOVED the other horror movies that came out circa 1980. It was ground zero for the new horror masters like Carpenter, Cronenberg, and Romero, and I loved most of their movies. Hell, I probably loved all of their movies at the time, and I still love most of them. But not the slashers.

I remember watching the first Friday the 13th (1980, directed by Sean S. Cunningham) on cable (the first of the Fridays I saw in the theater was part 3). I stayed up until two in the morning to see it. This was back when HBO was squeamish about showing hard R rated movies before 10 pm, and exploitation movies like this one showed even later as a rule. I don't remember watching it with my brother. I vaguely remember staying up even later than the movie to catch the feature afterwards, which I recall being Without Warning with Jack Palance and Cameron Mitchell. I liked that movie better than Friday the 13th. It had an alien big game hunter and nasty little parasites that it threw like shuriken. Friday the 13th had a bunch of dumb kids being bumped off one after another in a replay of Halloween, only without John Carpenter's sense of style and restraint. I remember the trailers for the film, too: they played all over independent television back then, and occasionally on the network stations after the networks were shut down for the night. The trailers made the film look fantastic (even if they had a Crown International feel to them rather than a big studio look). Part of my reaction to the movie may have some element of feeling cheated by the trailer. Exploitation trailers were masters of bait and switch.

*** spoilers added for length ***
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 10:35:17 PM by Charles Hussein Castle »
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.