Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1541876 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2595
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12510 on: March 21, 2013, 09:21:44 PM »
The Lorax

Doesn't feel like a Dr. Seuss story, not enough rhyming.  The songs were bland, the 1972 TV show had better music.  Not that it's bad, it's just mostly meh with moments that are good.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2615
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12511 on: March 21, 2013, 09:26:46 PM »
The Lorax

Doesn't feel like a Dr. Seuss story, not enough rhyming.  The songs were bland, the 1972 TV show had better music.  Not that it's bad, it's just mostly meh with moments that are good.

Yeah, that' how I felt too. Looked pretty nice.
FINE

Zombie Monty

« Reply #12512 on: March 21, 2013, 10:02:43 PM »
Wreck It Ralph

Watched this in 3D.  Fantastic movie.  Might be one of my favorite films from 2012.  Just perfect casting for this one.

Zero Dark Thirty

Didn't think I would like this one (was meh for The Hurt Locker), but loved it.  Thrilling, violent, and suspenseful even though the outcome was already known.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2595
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12513 on: March 23, 2013, 09:19:46 PM »
Life Of Pi (Blu-Ray 3D)

Wow, great movie, great story, great visuals, and takes a turn I was not expecting. 
And great use of 3D.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #12514 on: March 24, 2013, 11:00:51 AM »
Three Kings

I liked it. Particularly the techniques they used to make it look like war footage.

Punch-Drunk Love

A great portrail of what social anxiety feel like by Adam Sandler. And it's always a treat to see anything by PTA. Going to watch The Master next actually...

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12515 on: March 24, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
Looper.  Knew it would be great and it didn't disappoint.  Made me love Joe Gordan even more
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #12516 on: March 24, 2013, 04:56:47 PM »
I also watched Punch-Drunk Love today. I didn't really care for it, but it's different. It's still probably Adam Sandler's best films though. Magnolia is still my favorite P.T. Anderson film.

Right now I'm watching Amores Perros (Love's a Bitch). It's one of those hard to watch films (there's dog fighting in it) but it's interesting so far.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12517 on: March 24, 2013, 05:00:35 PM »
Punch Drunk Love is one of my top five films.
FINE

« Reply #12518 on: March 25, 2013, 12:57:09 PM »
Dredd

I knew nothing of the story.  I do know Stallone did a Judge Dredd movie, never saw it, figured it was the same character.

Didn't really expect much from it, but a friend loaned it to me.  The same friend who loaned my Bernie, so I figured I'd give it a chance.

Loved it.  Action is cool, didn't fast forward through it like I do with some movies (ahem...Transformers).  The acting is good and I don't use this word very much, but it was stylish.

Hope they do a sequel.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12519 on: March 26, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »
Howard Hawks once said that no one should remake a good movie, but they should by all means remake bad ones. That principle is at work at work in Chuck Russell’s sly remake of The Blob (1988). The original film isn’t very good. Let’s get that out of the way first. I’m not going to claim that the remake is a masterpiece, by any means, but not only is it a better film than its source, it’s a very interesting movie in its own right. It’s an odd amalgam of several strains of 1980s horror, encompassing the teen horror comedy and the slasher movie (both of which it pokes with gentle and not-so-gentle parody), the techno-horror film, the government paranoia film, the fifties-era monster movie, and, finally, the apocalyptic horror film. On the surface, it’s the same film as the original film: the Blob falls from the sky and a group of teens have to rouse the adults and the authorities before it’s too late. But from there, it departs dramatically. The authorities are not to be trusted. Additionally, the mantle of hero is shorn from the big man on campus, and even from the rebellious troubled teen, and bestowed on the wholesome cheerleading girl next door, who goes from daddy’s princess to raging Rambette in the span of 85 minutes. It’s a pretty entertaining character arc, not just because it’s ridiculous, but because it’s unexpected. This is all well and good--kudos to director Russell and his writing partner, Frank Darabont for subverting expectation--but when you get right down to it, the audience for this movie wants special effects and gore. And here, it delivers in spades. This movie presents all the angry red slime anyone could ever want and serves it up in one ghastly set-piece after another. Particularly horrific is the fate awaiting Candy Clark’s restaurant owner, whose demise in a telephone booth is the film’s highlight. And then, after all is said and done, when the Blob and the evil government agents have been thwarted, The Blob gives a subtle flick of the tentacle at the end, becoming darker than a fun teen horror movie has any right to be.

Some of the elements of Day of the Dead find their way into Zack Snyder's 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead, a film that continues to surprise me. It originally surprised me by being worthy of its predecessor. These days, it surprises me by holding up to repeat viewings. This has the best cast of any zombie film that I can name. Sarah Polley and Ving Rhames invest the film with more committed performances than one would expect, and the movie is the better for it (in contrast, Romero's originals are plagued by dodgy acting). It also has terrific cues on the soundtrack, made possible by its big studio backing. This film also shows some influence from the Stephen King/Steven Spielberg school of horror when it grounds itself in suburban reality at its start. We see the world before the fall, rather than as the fall is in progress. Rather than soften the blow when everything flies apart, it intensifies it instead. But more than any of that, it has an instinct for the jugular. You see this in its razor sharp opening salvo, which is 13 minutes of pedal to the metal horror filmmaking. You see it in its willingness to follow the character arc of the film's pregnant character to its logical extreme. This jugular instinct is what it borrows from Day (rather than the original Dawn). Unlike Peter and Fran, who escape to an uncertain future in the original, our heroes escape to the universe postulated by Day in the remake. In fact, the filmmakers have it both ways in the remake, giving the audience who leaves before the final credits roll a hopeful ending, while giving die-hards a brace of nihilism on the way out to their cars. It's a neat trick.

One thing that struck me this go around (and which struck me with Day as well) is the way all of the children of Night of the Living Dead exist in the now. There is no chronology from film to film that makes any kind of sense. The zombie disaster is always a plague of the moment, and the fallout, whether it's the death of consumer culture in the 70s or the burning buildings on the horizon in the remake of Dawn (so reminiscent of 9/11 and Oklahoma City), is always the destruction of the present. This, more than anything, is what makes these films eternally popular, I think.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

« Reply #12520 on: March 26, 2013, 09:38:21 PM »
I recently got th Blob remake in a DVD set that also came with Christine and the original Fright Night, and some Demi Moore movie.  Look forward to watching them

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12521 on: March 26, 2013, 10:12:08 PM »
Criterion just released the original The Blob, and I was trying to decide if I would enjoy it enough to buy it. I've never seen either version.

I do really like the Dawn of the Dead remake.
FINE

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12522 on: March 26, 2013, 10:56:50 PM »
The original Blob was generally too campy for me, too much of a "well that's a 50's horror movie alright". Part of that strange, mostly-sci-fi horror trend that took hold after the Universal Monster series but before Night of the living Dead changed the landscape forever. The remake, on the other hand, is totally aces. It actually still feels fresh today, what with it defying expectations with characters (especially who lives and who dies) and the outstanding special effects.

As for the other one, I've always looked at it like this: the remake of Dawn of the Dead is a mighty fine horror movie (the opening segments still scare me quite a bit. Total, violent collapse of worldwide society always gets to me), but Romero's original is the perfect zombie movie. Then I have to start explaining how a Horror movie and a Zombie movie aren't quite the same thing, but then I always end up agreeing that they both work for their own reasons. One just works slightly better.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3551
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12523 on: March 27, 2013, 09:08:12 AM »
Cloud Atlas
I've got some major issues with this movie.

The multiple roles thing is very distracting.  I spent most of the movie just trying to figure out what actor was playing what role.  This really pulled me out of the film and kept me from being immersed.  I don't really even see the point of the same actors playing the roles.  It's not like they were reincarnated, because some of the characters would have been alive at the same time....and yet, some of the characters had some psychic link together?  I don't get it.

White face doesn't offend me, but boy does it look creepy. 
Spoiler: for example (click to show/hide)
Halle Berry, Doona Bae, and Xun Zhou (and maybe more) are all white at some point, and it really looks weird.  This also pulls you out of the movie.  There's also a time period when most of the actors play Asian characters.  I'm not sure if this is offensive, but I'm leaning that way.  Most of the non-Asian actors look down syndrome. 
And Hugo Weaving no longer makes a passable woman.

In the far future, everyone talks like Jar Jar Binks.

I have to say that I'm impressed with what they were trying to do, but it just didn't work out.  They were going for this huge spanning epic, and it ended up as one of those Traffic/Babel/Crash kind of things where the connections seem like a bit of a stretch.  It would quickly cut between suspenseful moments between 2 or 3 time periods.  This didn't add suspense, it just lessened it.  I wonder if it would have worked out better as a 6 part TV series.

« Reply #12524 on: March 27, 2013, 09:53:48 PM »
This is 40
 Fair enough I heart Paul Rudd.