Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1585246 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11625 on: September 19, 2012, 10:07:16 PM »
I still have problems even wanting to see Alien 3 again, even though I keep hearing the directors cut is much better.  Mainly the begining of that movie just pissed me right the hell off when I first watched it.  The whole second movie you see Ripley's maternal instinct kick in to protect a girl who will only die in the opening credits of the next sequel.  Damn.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2652
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11626 on: September 19, 2012, 10:21:48 PM »
I still have problems even wanting to see Alien 3 again, even though I keep hearing the directors cut is much better.  Mainly the begining of that movie just pissed me right the hell off when I first watched it.  The whole second movie you see Ripley's maternal instinct kick in to protect a girl who will only die in the opening credits of the next sequel.  Damn.

Yeah, If Ripley starts to like you, you'd better start getting your affairs in order, because your days are numbered.

I quite liked this (From WIkipedia):

A novelization of the film was authored by Alan Dean Foster. His adaptation includes many scenes that were cut from the final film, some of which later reappeared in the Assembly Cut. Foster wanted his adaptation to differ from the film's script, which he disliked, but Walter Hill declared he should not alter the storyline. Foster later commented: "So out went my carefully constructed motivations for all the principal prisoners, my preserving the life of Newt (her killing in the film is an obscenity) and much else. Embittered by this experience, that's why I turned down Resurrection."

Extra fascinating to me, due to my wife's podcast, where she read/reviewed/mocked Alien, also written by Alan Dean Foster, who also apparently listened to, (or perhaps had someone describe to him?) the episode, and answered a question they had, as his bio included that he swam with whale sharks here in Perth Western Australia.

Anyway, he seems like a cool guy with a sense of humour, based on that interaction.
FINE

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 308
« Reply #11627 on: September 19, 2012, 10:28:39 PM »
Watched, for the first time in many years, two of my top twenty favorite films: Five Easy Pieces and McCabe and Mrs Miller. They both hold up well. And they both still have two of my favorite endings of any films.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #11628 on: September 20, 2012, 06:20:34 AM »
Pretty in Pink

Not my favorite Hughes movie, that would be Some Kind of Wonderful.  But God, I love Jon Cryer.

Hot Shots

A Jon Cryer twofer!  Hadn't seen it in years, still funny.

Superman IV should cure you pretty quick.  And then there's Two and a Half Men to put the nails in that coffin.

I've seen them both and I still love him.  True love never dies.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2662
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11629 on: September 20, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »

Yeah, If Ripley starts to like you, you'd better start getting your affairs in order, because your days are numbered.

I quite liked this (From WIkipedia):

A novelization of the film was authored by Alan Dean Foster. His adaptation includes many scenes that were cut from the final film, some of which later reappeared in the Assembly Cut. Foster wanted his adaptation to differ from the film's script, which he disliked, but Walter Hill declared he should not alter the storyline. Foster later commented: "So out went my carefully constructed motivations for all the principal prisoners, my preserving the life of Newt (her killing in the film is an obscenity) and much else. Embittered by this experience, that's why I turned down Resurrection."

Extra fascinating to me, due to my wife's podcast, where she read/reviewed/mocked Alien, also written by Alan Dean Foster, who also apparently listened to, (or perhaps had someone describe to him?) the episode, and answered a question they had, as his bio included that he swam with whale sharks here in Perth Western Australia.

Anyway, he seems like a cool guy with a sense of humour, based on that interaction.

I've enjoyed Foster's work (well, most of it).  He writes a workman-like novel; not always brilliant, but usually at the very least competent, and when he gets lost it's usually in the plot.  He's great at world-building.  I think it was Marty (?) who turned me on to Sentenced to Prism, and that was really fun.

Yup, I've been a fan of his since I was a kid reading the Star Trek Logs.  I got roped into being one of the administrators of his fan forum, that's not much work any more, only about one post a week over there these days.

He's been to just about every corner of the planet.  He recently wrote a book about his encounters with various wild animals around the world, I think there are 3 different diving with sharks stories in there.  The book is "Predators I Have Known".

Reading the novel for Alien 3 put me off ever wanting to see the movie, I've only seen clips of it.  It's even more infuriating to know that the idea of saving Newt was shot down. 

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11630 on: September 20, 2012, 08:14:36 PM »
I honestly think if most of you who haven't watched Alien 3 in ages or even haven't watched it at all approach it with an open mind you'll be pleasantly surprised.  Sure, I'm not going to compare it to Alien by any means but there's definitely some good stuff in there. 

Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11631 on: September 22, 2012, 09:32:33 PM »
The Whisperer in Darkness - The second movie from the H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society. I liked the first one, The Call of Cthulhu, although the ametuer nature of the production prevented me from taking it too seriously. This is definitely a HUGE step up for them, and was a quite respectable film. The budget still shows, particularly at the end with the SyFy Channel looking CGI and wrinkled tarp looking caves. But that is a small portion of this.
  The cinematography is fantastic! It is a black and white film (not sure if it was filmed that way or converted), but it looks amazing. The camerawork as well is very impressive, lending the entire movie with a sense of very appropriate dread.
  For most of it, the acting is good. And there are even several effective emotional scenes. One of which is with a disembodied hologram, and yet they manage to make it work.
  As much of a fan as I am of Lovecraft, I'm not sure if this is an accurate adaptation, or more a mishmash of several. Either way, you can tell the makers of this really GOT Lovecraft and that overriding dread comes first and foremost.
  I didn't really understand the ending, from a practical sense in the story anyway.

Overall, I would recommend this one. Especially if you are a fan of Lovecraft. Just be prepared for them not quite sticking the landing, but the journey is good.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #11632 on: September 23, 2012, 01:59:40 AM »

Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #11633 on: September 23, 2012, 11:22:39 AM »
The only good thing about Alien 3 IMO is the poster and the video game.

I last watched Killer Klowns From Outer Space.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11634 on: September 23, 2012, 05:03:43 PM »
The only good thing about Alien 3 IMO is the poster and the video game.

It's a masterpiece compared to the last two films I watched: Alien Resurrection, which was worse than I remembered, and Prometheus, which was a big fat zero. Wow. I went in with low expectations, and still managed to be disappointed.
FINE

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #11635 on: September 23, 2012, 06:50:49 PM »
I still haven't seen Prometheus but Resurrection bites.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11636 on: September 23, 2012, 06:52:58 PM »

I hope that was a Winona Ryder joke. :)
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2662
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11637 on: September 23, 2012, 07:01:39 PM »

She's the only character I thought wasn't a total joke.

It is pretty bad when you are laughing at what is supposed to be a horror movie.  Everything from the science to the acting is just hilariously bad.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #11638 on: September 23, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »
I thought the underwater bit was pretty great
Scottotd on Instagram

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11639 on: September 24, 2012, 07:35:02 AM »

Speaking of Winona, I finally watched (most of) Heathers last night.  My wife's friend told her to watch it because she likes croquet and there's croquet and mayhem in it.  It was actually pretty funny; kind of Napoleon Dynamitey but with more death.  A lot of the deadpan stuff at school had me chuckling.  I forget what it was now, but something the principal says in one of the meetings had me laughing for about 2 minutes.

Now I've seen a lot of bullshit. Angel dust. Switchblades. Sexually perverse photography exibits involving tennis rackets. But this suicide thing... guess that's more on Pauline's wavelength. Well, we're gonna just write off today. And on Friday she can hold her little "Love-In" or... whatever. Whatever.