Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1540619 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3551
  • All joking a salad.
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11100 on: July 06, 2012, 03:20:19 PM »
I loved emo Spiderman.  I saw it all as a joke.  That Peter is such a good kid that the worst he can become is emo.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #11101 on: July 06, 2012, 03:33:16 PM »
I don't get why everyone is so in love with Spider-Man 2.  He went all "emo" in the third one, sure... with the haircut and the dancing and what-not.... but he was whiny as shit in 2.  Over half the movie was him whimpering and crying "...but Mary Jane, I LOVE you..."

Yes, the Doc Ock stuff was pretty cool... but the sappy emo stuff in 2 was just vomit inducing.

You might not like The Amazing Spider-Man, then. At least four scenes where he cries like a baby. It was like, Alright already, can you please just go jump around the city and kick some ass already?
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #11102 on: July 06, 2012, 03:51:51 PM »
I don't get why everyone is so in love with Spider-Man 2.  He went all "emo" in the third one, sure... with the haircut and the dancing and what-not.... but he was whiny as shit in 2.  Over half the movie was him whimpering and crying "...but Mary Jane, I LOVE you..."

Yes, the Doc Ock stuff was pretty cool... but the sappy emo stuff in 2 was just vomit inducing.

You might not like The Amazing Spider-Man, then. At least four scenes where he cries like a baby. It was like, Alright already, can you please just go jump around the city and kick some ass already?

Did he cry about actual pain though? Like family deaths and stuff??  Or was it "Wait, you're breaking up with me?! I'm gonna follow you and whine like Bella Swan now!" type of crying like in Spider-Man 2?
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11103 on: July 06, 2012, 04:12:33 PM »
I loved emo Spiderman.  I saw it all as a joke.  That Peter is such a good kid that the worst he can become is emo.

Indeed, that's pretty much the point of the scene: http://www.badassdigest.com/2012/07/02/in-defense-of-spider-man-3s-dance-scenes

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3115
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #11104 on: July 06, 2012, 05:32:28 PM »
Spider-Man is kind of justified in being a bit whiny. Pretty much his whole theme is how you do the right thing even though you get a lot of scorn for it and nothing in return (Except the occasional supermodel wife).

Coragale

« Reply #11105 on: July 06, 2012, 05:59:01 PM »
I liked that post 6 times. This guy gets it.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11106 on: July 06, 2012, 06:10:16 PM »
Do people still say "emo"?  :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 06:20:23 PM by ScottotD »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #11107 on: July 06, 2012, 06:12:45 PM »

Indeed, that's pretty much the point of the scene: http://www.badassdigest.com/2012/07/02/in-defense-of-spider-man-3s-dance-scenes

I'm not arguing the crap in 3... I don't like his whining in 2.  He actually just turns into a nasally puss.  Part of the blame for that is with Tobey(Toby?) himself...  It has nothing to do with getting scorn and nothing in return for doing good.  He just becomes a whimpery little ass-hat when it comes to Mary Jane, and really (even speaking as a guy), I wouldn't have blamed her for not wanting anything to do with him.  Just non-stop "Ihhhhhhhhhh ehhhhh uunnnngggh, I looooooove you Mary Jaaaaaane... **glassy eyes**  I've been reading poetry for you..."

And because of that, I don't get why people think he was bad in 3 (over 2)
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11108 on: July 06, 2012, 08:01:32 PM »
I need to re-watch Spider-Man 2... also X2 and Nolan's Batman Movies... also Hellboy
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3551
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11109 on: July 06, 2012, 09:14:42 PM »

That's perfect. Thanks for linking.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #11110 on: July 06, 2012, 09:29:54 PM »
Saw Brave and Savages today (quite the double feature those two make!).

I had really lowered my expectations for Brave given all the mixed reviews, and that probably helped because I really liked it.  Not every Pixar movie is going to be Up or Toy Story.  This was solidly in the middle tier of their stuff, but it was still really enjoyable and I loved the main character.

Savages was good and the best Oliver Stone movie since Any Given Sunday.  Very solid drug/crime film.  Some of the Blake Lively voice over was BAD ("I had orgasms, he had wargasms") and the ending was meh.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  It may be a touch longer than it needed to be, but I never got bored.  Bencio Del Toro was great and I even liked John Travolta, which rarely happens.

Coragale

« Reply #11111 on: July 06, 2012, 09:47:17 PM »
I feel I should point out that Spidey was "Scene", not "Emo". Scene is a more active and happy style, while maintaining the fashion sense of emo.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #11112 on: July 07, 2012, 07:38:38 AM »

Did he cry about actual pain though? Like family deaths and stuff??  Or was it "Wait, you're breaking up with me?! I'm gonna follow you and whine like Bella Swan now!" type of crying like in Spider-Man 2?

To tell you the truth, I don't really remember because I wasn't keeping track during the movie. Yes, he cried over family deaths and stuff. But during one of the last times he cried in the movie (because a character died) my daughter leaned over to me and whispered, "Oh my god, was that the last person who could change your diapers?" So we didn't really keep track of all of the cry scenes until a certain point when we were both thought it was too much.

APGIL didn't say anything about the crying scenes but he has a higher tolerance for that sort of thing than Amy and I do. So maybe it was just us.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11113 on: July 07, 2012, 07:50:13 AM »
You're both mean girls. ;)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #11114 on: July 07, 2012, 07:50:29 AM »
We watched a great movie last night on Netflix -- Dragons Forever starring Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao. I love the movies those three have done together, they all have great comedy skills and their prowess in martial arts goes without saying.

The story in Dragons Forever is silly and predictable but the real point of the movie is to see these three guys mix it up, with each other and with guest stars. The guy who played the main villain is straight out of a Marx Brothers movie. Also at one point Jackie was having a conversation with the female lead and a song was playing over it, but instead of capturing their dialog in the subtitles the lyrics of the song were being shown. We lost it when a line of the song was translated as "Love is a conveyor belt of warmth". Who can argue with that!

Really great and fun movie. If you like martial arts and comedy, check it out. (Movies like this are why Kung Fu Hustle fell far short in my opinion.)
Bonhead #2
fs!!