login

Author Topic: Errors and Goofs in Point Break  (Read 6773 times)

Offline Joe Don Faker

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
Errors and Goofs in Point Break
« on: October 16, 2006, 03:08:37 PM »
I had to laugh at this goof pointed out on the IMDB:

While staking out the bank, Angelo (Gary Busey) reads the newspaper and makes a comment to the effect of, "That Calvin and Hobbes sure are funny!" However, it is evident that he is reading the Los Angeles Daily News, which did not carry Calvin and Hobbes.

Yup, it's a mistake like that that can totally take you out of the movie, to the point where you don't even hear Busey ask for two meatball subs... You're too busy thinking about the glaring error.  :)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
Re: Errors and Goofs in Point Break
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 07:21:31 PM »
Personally, I think the bigger mistake was the choice to green-light the movie.  If that choice wouldn't have been made, it would have been a much better film. 

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 08:29:35 PM »
at the start...when Canoe was "practice shooting". I noticed the sound of the shotgun was the exact same sound as the pistol that he switched to during the practice shooting.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 11:06:21 AM »
I wrote this in the "Thoughts" section, I'll copy it here because I realize it works better in this thread:

"The movie violated just about every conventional FBI procedure, as a total layman I could see most of it, but I bet a real FBI consultant could point out about a thousand more.  I mean, just obvious stuff like, you don't send your undercover operative to the raid, you don't go BACK to the perp once your cover is blown, and most of all, if you aid in a bankrobbery where you are responsible for another cop's death?  Oh yeah, you are off the force and in jail.  Then Busey strikes a superior officer on a crime scene and they let him take the criminal cop, (Reeves), away in his car??!!  Alone?!! THEN, he lets the guy escape but at the end of the movie Reeves still has his badge?!?! Um..."

Not to mention:  When Reeves inexplicably catches up with Swayze in Australia, after travelling around the world, presumably on the FBI's dime, to find him, (like they would still allow him to be on the case after he let the guy get away in the first place), he let's him GET AWAY AGAIN!!  And, puts the perp in mortal danger, (really against the law, despite the terrible rep of LA cops, but that's another thing), then the feds let Reeves walk away from the scene?  He wouldn't have a chance to throw his badge in the water, he wouldn't have a badge to throw!  And he'd be cuffed in the back of a squad car.  C.S.I. is more realistic about legal procedure than this movie.

I was shaking my head through the whole thing, like... what country does this take place in?  What FBI is this?  LOL, it was almost as hilarious as Mike's riffs.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline Gibborino

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 05:55:23 AM »
Another huge mistake was how Keanu Reeves just decided to work undercover. FBI agents don't just decide out of the blue that they're going to work undercover for cases -- if they want to do undercover work, they have to be official undercover agents with proper training. Also, no undercover law enforcement agent would ever use his real name while undercover.

Also, in the movie Johnny Utah says that he's 25. The minimum age to join the FBI is 23, but in addition, all applicants must have a college degree plus 3 years of full-time work experience. And as the movie tells us, Johnny went to law school, which would amount to an additional two years after he graduated from college. If Johnny graduated from college when he was 22 (like most Americans), he would have been out of law school when he was 24. Adding on the 3 years of work experience, for him to be eligible to apply to the FBI he would have to be at least 27. But that just means he would have been 27 when he filled out his application, but factor in the background check and the fact that the government processes job applications VERY slowly and we're looking at probably a year of just waiting to be accepted. Given all that, it's highly unlikely that Johnny would be younger than 28 when the movie begins. Of course, it's probable that he had a full-time job for three years while he was in college, but that's extremely unlikely, especially since he evidently went to school on a football scholarship, making the extra money unnecessary. Also, not many people can pull off the full-time student/worker combination, especially if he has to go to football practice as well.

So while it's not inconceivable for him to be a 25-year-old FBI agent, it's EXTREMELY unlikely, and shows the screenwriters' clear lack of basic research into FBI procedures and regulations.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 05:59:07 AM by Gibborino »

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 09:58:37 AM »
also though this is a much smaller one, and one ive mentioned before.  you cant get to tarazana (the place of the bank robbery) from anywhere in malibu (and especially where they were) in less than 30 minutes.  And that would be crazy speeding that would have seriously put his life in mortal danger (due to the road between the two is windy with cliffs) and with no traffic ( a californian impossibility)

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 10:06:53 AM »
at the start...when Canoe was "practice shooting". I noticed the sound of the shotgun was the exact same sound as the pistol that he switched to during the practice shooting.

This really annoys me in movies - anyone that's shot a gun before knows there is a distinct difference between a pistol, rifle, and shotgun blast lol. Ah well, just a movie ;)
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...