login

Author Topic: The MTV Video Music Awards: Does Anybody Still Care?  (Read 2346 times)

Offline TMC1982

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
The MTV Video Music Awards: Does Anybody Still Care?
« on: September 08, 2007, 11:05:13 PM »
When I was growing up, the VMAs were a really big deal for me. I would get more excited for the VMAs than say more established award shows like the Grammys or American Music Awards. What made the VMAs so appealing was that it was perfect counter-culture with his near guerilla style production. But now, the VMAs are coming up this Sunday, and I don't really have the passion to watch now.

They're having Britney Spears open up the show, but the fact of the matter is that MTV is pretty much trying to exploit her "train wreck" of a life (as opposed to her music). It's not like 1999, 2000, 2001 in which having Britney on your show automatically gave you credibility in the star power department.

The music industry itself, I fear has been sort of on a decline in recent years. What that's the case, I don't know (that's a debate within itself). But when the industry is allowing Paris Hilton or Kevin Federline for instance, release records, then something is incredibly wrong.

What really killed the VMAs for me are several factors:
*Moving the show back a month. Up until 2002, the VMAs had always been on the first Thursday of September. Instead, it was on the last Sunday in August and now, the second Sunday of September I believe.

*Giving awards to people based more on fitting the "MTV Image" rather than their artistic merit. The VMAs lost a ton of credibility in my eyes, when they gave "Lady Marmalade" (Christina Aguilera, Pink, Lil' Kim, Mya, Missy Elliot, etc.) the award for Best Video of the Year over "Weapon of Choice" by Fat Boy Slim.

*MTV's continued indifference to video airplay on their own channel. What's the point of getting invested into a program honoring music videos, when the network that's airing the program is more interested in airing "The Hills?"

*Changing the production approach around 2002, when they decided to shoot it at a slower frame rate (to make it look as if it's shot on film instead of video tape).

*The Britney/Madonna kiss from 2003 - It became apparent that the VMAs' trademark "unpredictability factor" stop feeling organic. Instead, it became more obvious that the artists were fully invested in their own agendas.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
Re: The MTV Video Music Awards: Does Anybody Still Care?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 11:34:45 PM »
I never did care.  They're dead Jim.
On timeout

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 12:38:17 AM »
I never did care.  They're dead Jim.

It only just occurred to me while reading that that I'm a 19 year old that would find it a much better use of his time to watch Star Trek reruns than MTV award shows

edit - and the music industry's never been worth much, you've always had to search at least a little to find the good stuff.....  and while they've always been lost on technology, I guess they really are in a rut now....
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 12:40:42 AM by pyro »

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 01:26:07 AM »
Well it depends on who is hosting, not?

I love Sarah Silverman, so the movie awards this year was a must. Plus most of their previous hosts are also high on my list... Chris Rock, Jack Black, etcetera

... either way though, I'm enough of a pop culture junky to watch for pure curiosities sake .. however, if I only catch part of it, I wouldn't consider that a big loss.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 754
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 01:38:01 AM »
Do they even play videos on MTV at all??
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline ImOscardotcom

• Big Montana
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 10:21:34 AM »
Do they even play videos on MTV at all??
Yep. In the coveted time slot of 4:00-6:30 AM.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 10:44:59 AM »
Quote from: TMC1982
What really killed the VMAs for me are several factors:
*Moving the show back a month. Up until 2002, the VMAs had always been on the first Thursday of September. Instead, it was on the last Sunday in August and now, the second Sunday of September I believe.

How do you know this stuff? Actually, i guess i mean... WHY do you know this stuff? I used to watch the VMAs when i was in highschool. But i could care less if i saw them "live" when they aired. Because, even though MTV still actually showed music videos back then... you could count on them to re-run the hell out of the VMAs for weeks after it happened!

Award shows mean nothing to me. I have never bought an album, or seen a film based on any awards they might have won. The only reason that most people watch this stuff on TV is for the enterainment they throw at us. At least the VMAs used to have live performances, so that was something. But these days even their big opening act is doing little more than lip-syncing. I doubt that anyone really cares anymore. It's all just gossip fodder now...

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 01:56:44 PM »
MTV just wants people to think they actually CARE about music in ANY form.

Right after the show they go right to the latest crap happening in whatever reality show they've got playing.

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 08:56:19 PM »

Award shows mean nothing to me. I have never bought an album, or seen a film based on any awards they might have won.

I never noticed till reading that that I haven't either, and I can't think of a single time anyone I know has either.... except my dad

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 05:13:27 AM »
Who does though, the only exception in my case is I do tend to read the shortlist for the Whitbread and Booker literary prizes

I love Sarah Silverman, so the movie awards this year was a must.

I don't know, anyone who drops their knickers for Jimmy Kimmel hasn't much room to mock others for their life choices really.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 05:16:22 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 10:07:01 PM »
The VMAs are the reason why Comedy Central had their own award show.... To wilfully embrace mediocrity!!
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Wheaty Petestraw

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 04:10:26 PM »

I don't know, anyone who drops their knickers for Jimmy Kimmel hasn't much room to mock others for their life choices really.

It sounds to me like someone's bitter. Not that you would have ever been anywhere near her, but she wouldn't have even given you the time of day.

The MTV Music Awards show hasn't been worth watching since.. well, I can't remember when. I never paid much attention to it when it was on, though I do recall being offended when Slash was playing guitar with Michael Jackson. Then again, his output with Velvet Revolver has been lacking as well.
my entry made my girlfriend laugh a few times, the best I can hope for really.

I'd say Whalberg definately qualifies as really good.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 04:25:04 PM »
It sounds to me like someone's bitter. Not that you would have ever been anywhere near her, but she wouldn't have even given you the time of day.

No, no dear boy, simply that her tired shtick is insulting people's lives and she rather undermines that by her own choice of rutting partner. Oh and; Oh. Dear. God. Not even with somebody else's :o