Author Topic: Riffing "Lost"?  (Read 9067 times)

Offline Torgo's Helper

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
  • Knew your father, I did!
Riffing "Lost"?
« on: October 13, 2006, 12:39:57 PM »
Mike mentioned it in the teevee.org interview as the first thing that came to mind when he considered riffing TV shows.  I noticed that there's also a doctored "Lost" promo shot with Mike's face over Jack's on his MySpace profile.  Do you guys think there's a chance he might actually get around to doing an episode or two?

I think this would be a great idea.  I love Lost, but I also acknowledge how goofy and ripe for parody it can be sometimes.  I think Mike should at least try riffing the two-part pilot episode.
Think about it, won't you?

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 754
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: Riffing "Lost"?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 01:54:24 PM »
Mike mentioned it in the teevee.org interview as the first thing that came to mind when he considered riffing TV shows.  I noticed that there's also a doctored "Lost" promo shot with Mike's face over Jack's on his MySpace profile.  Do you guys think there's a chance he might actually get around to doing an episode or two?

I think this would be a great idea.  I love Lost, but I also acknowledge how goofy and ripe for parody it can be sometimes.  I think Mike should at least try riffing the two-part pilot episode.

As fun as it would be I don't think TV would happen. Not every video store rents TV sets and asking someone to buy $50 sets is a little out there. Some shows are on itunes so I guess they could go that route.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Tarantulas

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 01:59:14 PM »
I noticed that there's also a doctored "Lost" promo shot with Mike's face over Jack's on his MySpace profile.  Do you guys think there's a chance he might actually get around to doing an episode or two?

The percentage of chance is probably the same that he's going to do "Da Ali G Show"

They are likely just funny little promo pictures.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 02:02:32 PM »
I dunno.  I think it's a bad idea.  With films, it's a perfect chunk of time, 1.5 - 2 hours, and the story is done, the characters are done.  With Lost, he would start with the first episode, and it would only be an hour or two, but the story isn't done, there's no closure.  And I think it would be a big mistake to riff an entire season.  there's people here who aren't buying cetain tracks because of who is involved (Britney in Cossroads) or because of content (horror in Halloween), and if there are people who wont buy Lost for whatever reason, then they wont be buying a bunch of rifftrax in a row.

That, and a box set of TV is expensive.

There's a lot of reasons why RiffTrax works with films.  I think if he did TV shows, it would be a BIG mistake.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline robertraur

• Schnappi Supporter
  • And the wine flows....
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 02:13:40 PM »
Mike could riff just about anything, and I welcome the idea that he would riff a TV show.  I'm not entirely sure if Lost is that TV show.  I could see him doing an episode of the Twilight Zone or Murder, She Wrote.

And as a proud owner of Crossroads, I will display my copy of Murder, She Wrote with the rest of the fine selections. 
Anytime someone offers you 10,000 to 1 odds, you take it.
Lets just say if John Mellancamp ever wins an Oscar, I'll be a rich man.

Offline Tarantulas

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 02:14:41 PM »
Yeah... TV requires too much background knowledge (especialy a show like lost) to know whats going on.

Here's a good argument:  Which would you riff, Firefly, or Serenity.

Don't get me wrong, I love both, but Serenity is more of a "closed" experience.  It has a begining, middle, and end.  Lots of TV shows just lead up to "Next week on..." type situations.

Movies just work better...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 02:19:08 PM by Tarantulas »

Offline JonnyFrag

• Big Montana
  • Bad Movie Historian
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 03:49:39 PM »
I dunno.  I think it's a bad idea.  With films, it's a perfect chunk of time, 1.5 - 2 hours, and the story is done, the characters are done.  With Lost, he would start with the first episode, and it would only be an hour or two, but the story isn't done, there's no closure.  And I think it would be a big mistake to riff an entire season.  there's people here who aren't buying cetain tracks because of who is involved (Britney in Cossroads) or because of content (horror in Halloween), and if there are people who wont buy Lost for whatever reason, then they wont be buying a bunch of rifftrax in a row.

That, and a box set of TV is expensive.

There's a lot of reasons why RiffTrax works with films.  I think if he did TV shows, it would be a BIG mistake.

Have you watched Lost? It's like 50 hours in or something, and there is still no closure!

TV shows are probably a bad idea.
Grapes? I hate grapes, I can't stand grapes. I loathe grapes. All kinds of grapes. I hate green grapes and I hate purple grapes. I hate grapes with seeds, I hate grapes without seeds. I hate them peeled and nonpeeled. I hate them in bunches, one at a time and in small groups of twos and threes.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 04:07:16 PM »
I think he should riff a show called mystery science theater 3000 just to see how many peoples heads explode. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 07:55:08 PM by sarcasm_made_Easy »

Offline Tarantulas

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 04:31:07 PM »
I think he should a show called mystery science theater 3000 just to see how many peoples heads explode. 

I think your grammar made people's heads explode.

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 10:52:11 AM »
I think he should a show called mystery science theater 3000 just to see how many peoples heads explode. 

Hey, what was that song that Denis Leary sung? You know, that really famous one on his No Cure For Cancer album? I can't think of the title right now, but I think Tarantulus spontaneously made me think of it.

Seriously dude, chill out. I hear Pfizer makes some good antidepressants. Either that or spend a week in a British Columbia coffee shop.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 07:55:34 PM »
haha beware i have learned the use of the edit function MUHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA

Offline euphoria

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Disembaudio Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »
I would totally buy a DVD of Mike riffing one episode each of his favorite (or, not so favorite) TV shows.  Too bad the copyright issues make it impossible.   :(

Offline Tarantulas

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 10:47:24 PM »

Hey, what was that song that Denis Leary sung? You know, that really famous one on his No Cure For Cancer album? I can't think of the title right now, but I think Tarantulus spontaneously made me think of it.

Seriously dude, chill out. I hear Pfizer makes some good antidepressants. Either that or spend a week in a British Columbia coffee shop.

It's all in good fun, dude... Just relax and enjoy the good natured ribbing, I will get to you eventualy.

Just be patient. ;)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 02:24:58 AM »
It's all in good fun, dude... Just relax and enjoy the good natured ribbing, I will get to you eventualy. Just be patient. ;)

If you haven't got to him yet, he must have a much higher blowhard tolerance than most of us.  ;D

Isn't the anonymity of the internet refreshing?

P.S. Am I the only person on Earth who hasn't seen Lost?

Offline Bob M.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Think you can take me? Well, go ahead on.
    • Bob M. Montgomery Images
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 04:30:21 AM »

P.S. Am I the only person on Earth who hasn't seen Lost?

*raises hand*

Count me in on that score.
Bob M. Montgomery Images
Fine Art and Commision Photography
http://www.BMMImages.com/