login

Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 242118 times)

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 96
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2670 on: October 21, 2017, 05:39:04 AM »
I don't have a lot of faith in external drive enclosures or those SATA / IDE to USB converter cables.  We used those to configure computers at a place I use to work and they had a terribly high failure rate.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3006
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2671 on: October 21, 2017, 05:49:36 AM »
I don't have a lot of faith in external drive enclosures or those SATA / IDE to USB converter cables.  We used those to configure computers at a place I use to work and they had a terribly high failure rate.
??? I've used both for years and never had one fail - not to say that they won't I'm sure they do fail but none of mine have failed so far (still using all that I've bought) :o

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2178
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2672 on: October 21, 2017, 08:55:27 AM »
I still have old drives less than 100MB around.

I've had a few external drives fail on me, and a few internal ones as well.  I could see the chances for failure being much higher if you were using them in a work environment for setup, drops, static electricity, just powering up and down way more than normal.

• Big Montana
« Reply #2673 on: October 21, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »
I still have old drives less than 100MB around.

I've had a few external drives fail on me, and a few internal ones as well.  I could see the chances for failure being much higher if you were using them in a work environment for setup, drops, static electricity, just powering up and down way more than normal.

It was probably that last one.  A home user would probably leave the external drive in pretty much permanently.  We would plug ours in to one computer for about 20 minutes to do a build, then unplug and move to the next one, over and over, for hundreds of computers.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Big Montana
« Reply #2674 on: October 24, 2017, 09:55:26 AM »
After all that purchasing for my Rifftrax reorganization project, I feel strangely amped up and want to buy more stuff.  Funny how that happens.

I might grab a 2 Tb external drive to backup the ISOs.  That was a huge pain in the ass ripping them all

• Big Montana
« Reply #2675 on: October 26, 2017, 07:02:13 AM »
Bah.  The DVD burner is back to its old habits of failing to burn ISOs.  It happens randomly though.  Some ISOs will burn on to printed discs just fine.  I do a few, and think I'm on a good streak, then the next one will get stuck at "Writing Lead In" forever.  I can't cancel it either.  Can request Abort through the software, but that never processes and I can't get the DVD drive to stop spinning and attempting to burn unless I reboot the computer.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2676 on: October 26, 2017, 07:31:29 AM »
Could be several things, if you are burning many in a row the drive could be overheating, diode lasers lose power when too hot.  If you are still printing first you could have scratched a few or some have more ink on one side causing bad balance, burning is way more sensitive to those than reading.  Or the spindle you got has a lot of bad discs on it.

Are there reviews of the brand you got that mention a lot of bad disks?

• Big Montana
« Reply #2677 on: October 26, 2017, 07:34:21 AM »
Really the worst part is that I have to do a full reboot when this happens and I can't figure out any other way to shut the drive down. 

The discs themselves are generally pretty well reviewed.

I can get 4, maybe 5 before this starts happening.  So maybe I'll just do batches of 4 with cooldown breaks between them.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:37:34 AM by Retro Muppet Pastor »

• Big Montana
« Reply #2678 on: October 28, 2017, 07:02:26 AM »
I bit the bullet and just went to Best Buy and bought a new DVD burner.  It seems to be working much better.  15 discs in a row with none of them getting stalled.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 357
« Reply #2679 on: December 07, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »
I really wish I had stuck it out with my Computer Science degree. Believe it or not, I was top of my class. Then I made the mistake of going to grad school. I absolutely hated it there. I haven't coded again since that nightmare.

That was 20 years ago. I used to be able to program in Pascal, C and C++ with the best of them. Retro Muppet Pastor, you remind me of the life I wish I had.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1121
« Reply #2680 on: January 03, 2018, 02:23:43 AM »
Ah fuck. If you have an Intel processor, say goodbye to 30% of your performance due to a pretty serious flaw. A Windows patch will be released next week. A Linux patch is being worked on. Mac will also have to release a patch but the article doesn’t say when.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

Sounds like a pretty bad idea to try and skip the update, but this really sucks.

EDIT:  After doing some more reading, the impact on individual PCs doing stuff like gaming or what have you probably won’t be that bad, but server farms and cloud computing will take a big hit. In that case, even more reason to make sure you update your computer in about a week.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:30:21 AM by Variety of Cells »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2681 on: January 04, 2018, 05:00:43 PM »
That Intel bug sounds really bad for server farms, only somewhat bad for personal users.

Basically a malicious program can trick the CPU into revealing segments of memory that it normally would not be able to read.  Server farms usually use virtual hosts, so several websites will share the same CPU, not good if someone on one website can read data from others on the same server.

For home users, if you are careful the way you always should be and don't have any other programs open when doing banking or shopping or anything with personal info then it's not that big an issue.

That was 20 years ago. I used to be able to program in Pascal, C and C++ with the best of them. Retro Muppet Pastor, you remind me of the life I wish I had.

I hated trying to learn C++ in the 90s when I started maintaining some web and email servers at work, like an alien language compared to BASIC and FORTRAN.

And now I've got to learn it again, I need to replace a dead micro-controller in our observatory dome control system and the language used to program the Arduino is based on C++...  >:(

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2682 on: January 07, 2018, 07:09:37 PM »
Why does every big Windows 10 update mess up my network printing?  Every fucking time I spend 20 minutes uninstalling and reinstalling the printer several times to get it working again.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3006
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2683 on: January 07, 2018, 07:27:06 PM »
Why does every big Windows 10 update mess up my network printing?  Every fucking time I spend 20 minutes uninstalling and reinstalling the printer several times to get it working again.
I worry every time my computer updates that it won't boot up again..
After Win 10 updates crashed my computer twice, I get skittish it won't boot  :-\