login

Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 235344 times)

Online Retro Muppet Pastor

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 6
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2670 on: October 21, 2017, 05:39:04 AM »
I don't have a lot of faith in external drive enclosures or those SATA / IDE to USB converter cables.  We used those to configure computers at a place I use to work and they had a terribly high failure rate.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2943
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2671 on: October 21, 2017, 05:49:36 AM »
I don't have a lot of faith in external drive enclosures or those SATA / IDE to USB converter cables.  We used those to configure computers at a place I use to work and they had a terribly high failure rate.
??? I've used both for years and never had one fail - not to say that they won't I'm sure they do fail but none of mine have failed so far (still using all that I've bought) :o

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2672 on: October 21, 2017, 08:55:27 AM »
I still have old drives less than 100MB around.

I've had a few external drives fail on me, and a few internal ones as well.  I could see the chances for failure being much higher if you were using them in a work environment for setup, drops, static electricity, just powering up and down way more than normal.

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #2673 on: October 21, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »
I still have old drives less than 100MB around.

I've had a few external drives fail on me, and a few internal ones as well.  I could see the chances for failure being much higher if you were using them in a work environment for setup, drops, static electricity, just powering up and down way more than normal.

It was probably that last one.  A home user would probably leave the external drive in pretty much permanently.  We would plug ours in to one computer for about 20 minutes to do a build, then unplug and move to the next one, over and over, for hundreds of computers.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #2674 on: October 24, 2017, 09:55:26 AM »
After all that purchasing for my Rifftrax reorganization project, I feel strangely amped up and want to buy more stuff.  Funny how that happens.

I might grab a 2 Tb external drive to backup the ISOs.  That was a huge pain in the ass ripping them all

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #2675 on: October 26, 2017, 07:02:13 AM »
Bah.  The DVD burner is back to its old habits of failing to burn ISOs.  It happens randomly though.  Some ISOs will burn on to printed discs just fine.  I do a few, and think I'm on a good streak, then the next one will get stuck at "Writing Lead In" forever.  I can't cancel it either.  Can request Abort through the software, but that never processes and I can't get the DVD drive to stop spinning and attempting to burn unless I reboot the computer.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2676 on: October 26, 2017, 07:31:29 AM »
Could be several things, if you are burning many in a row the drive could be overheating, diode lasers lose power when too hot.  If you are still printing first you could have scratched a few or some have more ink on one side causing bad balance, burning is way more sensitive to those than reading.  Or the spindle you got has a lot of bad discs on it.

Are there reviews of the brand you got that mention a lot of bad disks?

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #2677 on: October 26, 2017, 07:34:21 AM »
Really the worst part is that I have to do a full reboot when this happens and I can't figure out any other way to shut the drive down. 

The discs themselves are generally pretty well reviewed.

I can get 4, maybe 5 before this starts happening.  So maybe I'll just do batches of 4 with cooldown breaks between them.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:37:34 AM by Retro Muppet Pastor »

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #2678 on: October 28, 2017, 07:02:26 AM »
I bit the bullet and just went to Best Buy and bought a new DVD burner.  It seems to be working much better.  15 discs in a row with none of them getting stalled.