Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 231782 times)

Quantum Vagina

Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2565 on: November 15, 2016, 06:47:48 PM »
DSL does indeed suck, but have you tried what MartyS suggested and bypassed the router altogether? Connect the modem directly to the computer (you may have to contact your ISP to get this to work). My CS degree is admittedly about 20 years out of date, but when my Dad was getting horrible streaming speeds to his laptop, this it what we tried. And Lo and Behold, he got full speed with the router removed. The next day we bought a new wireless router and everything worked fine after that.

I still keep my own computer wired directly to the modem. I've had too many issues, both personal and at work, with routers and switch boxes going bad.

Can't, it's a router modem combo.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2566 on: November 15, 2016, 09:03:19 PM »
DSL does indeed suck, but have you tried what MartyS suggested and bypassed the router altogether? Connect the modem directly to the computer (you may have to contact your ISP to get this to work). My CS degree is admittedly about 20 years out of date, but when my Dad was getting horrible streaming speeds to his laptop, this it what we tried. And Lo and Behold, he got full speed with the router removed. The next day we bought a new wireless router and everything worked fine after that.

I still keep my own computer wired directly to the modem. I've had too many issues, both personal and at work, with routers and switch boxes going bad.

Can't, it's a router modem combo.

There should be a status page somewhere on the device that will tell you what connection speed the modem negotiated when it connected.  It's usually something like http://192.168.1.1/index.htm  with 1 or 10 or 100 as the number after 168.  It might be printed on the box or just google the model number of the thing to find it.  Since it's a combo box there is probably a login and password (might not have been changed from the factory default ones).

If it's connecting at 3Mbps and you are only getting 1 through a wired port then you can look into other solutions, not much you can do if it's connecting at 1.  You can try calling the ISP and tell them to check the line but DSL is not being maintained very well these days so most of the time they will just say that speeds are not guaranteed and you pay for "up to" 3.

With a combo box to use your own router you have to put their box into bridge mode, and most of the time you can't do it yourself, you have to call and have the ISP switch the box for you.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #2567 on: November 18, 2016, 09:54:07 PM »
FYI to all those who were concerned, I stuck my parts list into a compatibility checker, and all of them seem to work fine.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #2568 on: December 07, 2016, 05:05:39 PM »
Can anyone recommend me a budget laptop that's got some ok power? I would like to not have to take a pc everywhere.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2569 on: December 07, 2016, 05:25:43 PM »
Can anyone recommend me a budget laptop that's got some ok power? I would like to not have to take a pc everywhere.
I have bought several Dell Latitudes with i3 & i5 core processors with 4 - 6 GB RAM, and 250 - 500GB hard drives with Windows 10 for around $100 on ebay and resold them for a nice profit here in Mexico

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2570 on: April 02, 2017, 02:45:31 PM »
Running out of room on my 4TB & 6TB hard drives on my entertainment computer backing up TV shows and DVDs so I checked prices and found Western Digital has a 8TB available :o
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235062
Went ahead and got one.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #2571 on: April 11, 2017, 12:26:03 PM »
Don't know why you would need 8 TB.  640K is all anyone would ever need. ;)

My big computer project at the moment is going through all my old VHS tapes and capturing the rare gems that are floating around.  While my real goal is to try and find all the old family video projects (hopefully re-editing some so that I can hand them out as Christmas gifts), I'm finding a lot of stuff that just isn't available anymore, either...most of it is just stuff I can probably junk, but there are a handful of cool things we've had on tape for close to (or in some cases, over) 30 years that I'm surprised never got release (one is a Halloween Special starring Vincent Price from 1984 where he hosted music videos and a documentary about horror special effects that used to scare the crap out of me when I was a kid).  But since I don't want to replace all my videotapes with 300 hard drives either, I have to strike a balance between recording and going through the process of cleaning up and restoring what I've got and saving it as a smaller file.

Of course, that is hoping it IS a smaller file.  Cleanup and conversion of 60i to 60p (to deinterlace without losing that classic 'video' look for some footage via Handbrake, gets very good results) sometimes doesn't make that possible.  But I can dream...
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2572 on: April 11, 2017, 02:26:19 PM »
DAMMIT!!! My dedicated entertainment computer won't boot up!
It downloaded an update last night and no boot today! Disc errors couldn't be corrected and a restore point didn't do anything either!
It did this same thing last year I believe and the Win 10 OS had to be reloaded from scratch
 :angry:
On top of that my new 8TB hard drive was set to Dynamic instead of Basic so it won't activate on any other computers.. Looks like I'll have to transfer at least 5TB of ripped TV shows in order to convert it to Basic otherwise I'll lose all my shows  :-[

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2573 on: April 11, 2017, 03:09:38 PM »
Were you trying to plug the drive set as dynamic into an XP computer?  I thought win7 and higher supported dynamic?

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2574 on: April 11, 2017, 03:14:09 PM »
Were you trying to plug the drive set as dynamic into an XP computer?  I thought win7 and higher supported dynamic?
Nope another Win 10 computer. Message said it could not activate it :-\

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2575 on: April 11, 2017, 04:06:39 PM »

It used the word "activate"?  That doesn't sound right.

How is it listed in disk management?

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2576 on: April 11, 2017, 05:37:32 PM »

It used the word "activate"?  That doesn't sound right.

How is it listed in disk management?
Yep. It's listed as "Invalid Disc 2" and won't activate nor can I see any files

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2577 on: April 11, 2017, 06:20:08 PM »
Found this article on importing a dynamic disk:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/storage/how-safely-import-dynamic-disk-3497997/

It seems windows 10 stores some of the info on a dynamic disk in the registry, without that it gets listed as invalid.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2578 on: April 11, 2017, 07:01:58 PM »
Found this article on importing a dynamic disk:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/storage/how-safely-import-dynamic-disk-3497997/

It seems windows 10 stores some of the info on a dynamic disk in the registry, without that it gets listed as invalid.
Yeah I dropped both the computer and the 8TB drive to my IT friend and he's just gonna wipe it and reload the OS from scratch and back up all the data onto a couple big hard drives he has and then convert the Dynamic disc to Basic like it should have been originally.. It'll take a couple of days :-[

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2579 on: August 13, 2017, 06:42:53 PM »
My motherboard and my CPU are 5.5 years old.  That's pretty good for computer parts I'd say, especially considering it still handles modern games pretty well.  My case and my PSU are about 8 years old.  But my rig is starting to show its age.  USB ports on my motherboard are going, and the ones on my case are physically deteriorating.  There have been weird boot issues with my SSD for a long time.  I think it's about time for a fresh start.  And I still don't have any children so I can afford to blow a weeks paycheck on technology.  Well, not quite a whole paycheck, but you get the idea.

http://a.co/fTVytUj

There's my list.  Let me your your thoughts.  I'm excited about that H.2 SSD.  And I hear good things about that 6 core CPU.  I'll have to keep my last gen GPU for now, but it still holds up alright.  Save that for another update. 

Debating whether I should order on Amazon or Newegg.  I like Newegg's return policies and support, but it'd be nice to get the stuff really quick with amazon prime... hmm.  I'll think on it.