Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 323496 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2915
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2775 on: February 26, 2020, 12:19:28 AM »
Using that old router as a switch would seriously degrade your wired connections, I'm not surprised you get bad speed tests.  You should try plugging a computer directly into the current modem and see what happens with the speed tests (assuming the computer has a gigabit port).

That new modem should work better.  If they offer gigabit speeds in your area they must have upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1  Even if you don't subscribe to a gigabit plan the modem will lock onto the extra channels available, so you should get your full plan speed with that modem.  And the Wifi should improve greatly.

That is the same TP link switch I use upstairs to connect my home theater stuff, works great getting full speed to my TV, Roku, FireTV, Blu-Ray player, and A/V receiver, with a few ports to spare.  If I plug a laptop into it I get the same results on speed tests as my PC plugged directly into my router.   

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4430
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2776 on: February 26, 2020, 05:00:03 AM »
Ok Excellent! I was hoping to get some feedback about this switch to enforce my decision that this was the right thing to do. The way my cables are run behind my desk and up my wall to the router/switch makes connecting directly to the new modem a monumental task but it will be an easy swap out when the new switch arrives.

I'm guessing they did upgrade within the last year as this new modem was recently offered the end of 2019 and they're still running new fiber optic lines not far from my house that's been causing internet disruptions from time to time..

Cool I'm looking forward to seeing the increased speeds now :o

Even though my ISP (Comporium) is the only ISP in town and they continuously increase my bill almost every year, at least this modem upgrade makes the increase worth it a little :-[

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2777 on: February 28, 2020, 06:09:06 PM »
So I got the new TP-Link switch in today and hooked up but my speeds are STILL limited to 100Mbps but my video editing computer is rated for 1Gbps..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/G-OCBjwdnrQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/G-OCBjwdnrQ</a>
After further troubleshooting, it's my onboard network card on my old ASUS P7P55D-E LX motherboard that's only rated to 100Mbps so I ordered this: https://www.newegg.com/intel-expi9301ct/p/N82E16833106036?Item=9SIADYX8WJ2431
and that should resolve my internet speed problem on my old main computer (Hopefully) :-\

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2778 on: February 28, 2020, 08:06:38 PM »
When I look up that mother board it shows 1000 Mbps for the onboard port.

The LEDs on the switch will tell you what speed each cable is connected at:

Green = 1 gig
Amber = 10/100

So make sure the LED for the link between the switch and the modem/router is green. 

You also have to use cat5 or better cables, if the port doesn't see all 4 pairs of wires it will not go to gig speed.  For long cable runs the twists per meter of each pair matters and the ports will sense that and drop down to 10/100.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2779 on: February 28, 2020, 08:25:57 PM »
Noticed in the video the card in the PC says Realtek GBE family, so the Ethernet card should be OK, maybe try a different cable.

Also noticed your LEDs are behind the metal frame with a little hole, so they changed the port design on the switch, I wonder if they did away with the different colors.  Or they just did that to block the light, my switch lights up the wall behind it with blinking green and amber...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 08:35:34 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2780 on: February 29, 2020, 02:02:53 AM »
I swapped Cat5e cables with no change in speeds. The lights are so tiny I can't really tell but when I go to Speedtest.net and Comporium's speedtest, there's still no download speeds over 100Mbps and this PC is right next to the new 1G modem. I even bypassed the new TP-Link switch and ran the Cat5e cable directly to the new modem with no speed changes, but my other 2 newer PC's (both 1G compatible) get around 500Mbps which is what I'm supposed to have with my current 10 x 500Mbps package and their cables are farther runs (to my spare bedroom and living room).

Talked to my I T friend I bought the ASUS P7P55D-E LX motherboard from years ago and he thinks the onboard ethernet card is outdated not actually capable of 1Gbps.
When I get that new 1G ethernet PCIe x1 card installed then we'll see if I get better speeds.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 02:17:08 AM by RVR II »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2781 on: February 29, 2020, 02:36:39 PM »
Talked to my I T friend I bought the ASUS P7P55D-E LX motherboard from years ago and he thinks the onboard ethernet card is outdated not actually capable of 1Gbps.
When I get that new 1G ethernet PCIe x1 card installed then we'll see if I get better speeds.

On the Asus website it says that motherboard has gigabit lan:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55DE_LX/specifications/

You might try updating the driver:

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/drivers/essentials/realtek-pcie-lan/

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2782 on: February 29, 2020, 05:21:21 PM »

Thanks Marty.
I downloaded the driver for Windows 7 and I just tried to do a repair with the Win7 driver (that was the only option it would allow me to do) and it didn't work..
I rebooted my PC in the Start menu I typed ncpa.cpl then clicked on my network and the speed still shows 100Mbps, I checked on Speedtest.net and confirmed that my download speeds are no higher than 90Mbps. :-[
It may state it's capable of 1000Mbps but this motherboard just doesn't seem to have been integrated into it :-\

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2783 on: February 29, 2020, 08:23:14 PM »

Thanks Marty.
I downloaded the driver for Windows 7 and I just tried to do a repair with the Win7 driver (that was the only option it would allow me to do) and it didn't work..
I rebooted my PC in the Start menu I typed ncpa.cpl then clicked on my network and the speed still shows 100Mbps, I checked on Speedtest.net and confirmed that my download speeds are no higher than 90Mbps. :-[
It may state it's capable of 1000Mbps but this motherboard just doesn't seem to have been integrated into it :-\

It's kind of strange that it would be a gig chip and Asus used it in the description.  But it could be one of those things where you have to have a certain CPU to get it to work, guess you'll find out when your card arrives.  I've heard of people not getting full gig speed with slower CPUs but not stuck at 100.  If it is CPU limited you may see some improvement with the card but might not get full speed.

One last thing to check, when you go into device manager and right click on the adapter, then properties, then advanced there should be an item in the list there that says something like: speed and duplex

Check what that is set for, and it will have a list of all the speeds the adapter is capable of when you click on the little down arrow for the setting.  It is probably set to auto but just a chance that some software set it lower.

I think on the status window the properties button on the bottom is the same as the device manager one, so that might be easier to get to.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 08:26:18 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2784 on: March 01, 2020, 04:35:10 AM »
Ok did that and it was set to Auto Negotiation so I set it to 1.0 Gbps.

Restarted the machine and it's Still stuck at 100Mbps :-[

The processor is a Intel i5 Quad Core 760 @ 2.8GHz.
I can't find anywhere online that tells me if this processor is 1Gbps capable or not.. I would think it is :-\

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2785 on: March 01, 2020, 08:57:09 AM »
Well, that is a weird one...  Yeah, I would think that CPU would be fast enough.  I would update and mess with the BIOS next but since you have the other card on the way you should just wait for that.  Could be you have an early version of the mother board that has some bugs that they fixed later on.

Restarting sometimes doesn't turn off the Ethernet port (it stays on for Wake On Lan), so unplugging and plugging back in the cable is the sure way to make the port renegotiate.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 09:00:23 AM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2786 on: March 01, 2020, 09:49:19 AM »
Well, that is a weird one...  Yeah, I would think that CPU would be fast enough.  I would update and mess with the BIOS next but since you have the other card on the way you should just wait for that.  Could be you have an early version of the mother board that has some bugs that they fixed later on.

Restarting sometimes doesn't turn off the Ethernet port (it stays on for Wake On Lan), so unplugging and plugging back in the cable is the sure way to make the port renegotiate.
I've had bad luck in the past messing with/updating the BIOS on motherboards.. They didn't go well and I wound up completely screwing up my motherboards. I may try that if this network card doesn't work out but if this new card works, I'll just go with it for the time being.

Yeah I tried unplugging the Cat5e cable a few times and the speed is still 100Mbps.. It's pretty aggravating but just an inconvenience.
Based on the reviews, this card seems to work so we'll see if it works on my setup. 

Thank you very much for your help with this Marty!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2787 on: March 01, 2020, 10:09:43 AM »
I've had bad luck in the past messing with/updating the BIOS on motherboards.. They didn't go well and I wound up completely screwing up my motherboards. I may try that if this network card doesn't work out but if this new card works, I'll just go with it for the time being.

Yes, it can be scary flashing the BIOS, you have to make sure you have the correct image and flashing software, and you really should use a UPS while your doing it because a power glitch while it's flashing will brick the thing.  No one does that of course, you just cross your fingers and hope for no power glitches in the next few minutes.  ;D

If the card doesn't help the BIOS won't make a difference, so don't bother at that point, the BIOS only deals with stuff integrated into the motherboard.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2788 on: March 01, 2020, 10:40:05 AM »
Ok yeah that's what happened to a couple of mine back in the 2000s so I just don't mess with the BIOS anymore.

Ok if the card works/doesn't work I won't try anything else and eventually I'll retire this older Windows 7 Ultimate setup and move to a Windows 10 setup that already has 1Gbps integrated in it.

Thanks again for your help!

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 346
« Reply #2789 on: March 02, 2020, 10:36:18 AM »
Bought a Surface Pro 4 as kind of a Switch to play PC games on the couch. Yeah, not going to run Doom Eternal, but surprisingly great for 4 plus year old games. Why a 4 and not a 7? Reconditioned 4 was a 6th the price of a 7 with similar specs (yes, older processor etc then a 7, but bought for use as toy and not as my primary PC/laptop).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:55:45 AM by wihogfan »