Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 266082 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1253
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2685 on: April 11, 2018, 06:06:08 AM »
So I worked out a deal with my long time I T friend yesterday about purchasing a stout new rig :o

Core i7-6700
4x4GB Ripjaw DDR4-400 16GB RAM
128GB m.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX 660TI Superclock
ASRock B150M Pro4V Motherboard
With a Tower Case included ready to go with Win10 Pro

A $1200 setup for $650.

I'll post pics (& video) once I get it 8)

Not bad, not bad. What do you want to do with it?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2315
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2686 on: April 11, 2018, 07:19:54 AM »
A $1200 setup for $650.

If that's a good deal depends on what version of those parts you are getting.  First release 2 to 4 year old parts maybe not such a good deal, if newer versions then not bad.  Of course even if they are the first run parts finding them yourself at a reasonable price would be a pain.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3401
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2687 on: April 11, 2018, 08:12:45 AM »
A $1200 setup for $650.

If that's a good deal depends on what version of those parts you are getting.  First release 2 to 4 year old parts maybe not such a good deal, if newer versions then not bad.  Of course even if they are the first run parts finding them yourself at a reasonable price would be a pain.
All parts are less than a year to a year and a half old.
I've bought his hand-me-downs for years and he's never ripped me of.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2688 on: April 11, 2018, 08:54:59 AM »
If they are that recent it's a good price.  Should be a pretty fast video editing system, probably the minimum requirement for some current games if you plan to game on it.

I've been thinking about using my tax refund for a VR setup, looks like things haven't changed much since I last looked a year or 2 ago.  Comes down to HTC Vive or Oculus Rift.  There are a few games like Subnautica that I'd like to try in VR, but worry that it would be something I'd spend a bunch of money on and quit using after a few hours.

Anyone here have any VR gear?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2689 on: April 11, 2018, 09:09:32 AM »
If they are that recent it's a good price.  Should be a pretty fast video editing system, probably the minimum requirement for some current games if you plan to game on it.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, more for video editing.
I don't really do any gaming anymore so this would be strictly a video editing computer.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #2690 on: April 11, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »

I've been thinking about using my tax refund for a VR setup, looks like things haven't changed much since I last looked a year or 2 ago.  Comes down to HTC Vive or Oculus Rift.  There are a few games like Subnautica that I'd like to try in VR, but worry that it would be something I'd spend a bunch of money on and quit using after a few hours.

No, I’ve been waiting. This new generation of Vive seems much closer to something I’d purchase though, as the resolution doesn’t seem to be an issue any more. Think I might wait one more generation before I dive in though.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2691 on: April 11, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »

No, I’ve been waiting. This new generation of Vive seems much closer to something I’d purchase though, as the resolution doesn’t seem to be an issue any more. Think I might wait one more generation before I dive in though.

From what I've read the new Vive isn't much of an upgrade, especially at $800 for just the headset.  They put 2 cameras on but there is no software that uses both, and the resolution bump is only marginally better.

Like I said I hadn't been paying attention for the last year+, I was surprised the systems have not really changed in that time.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:25:06 AM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #2692 on: April 11, 2018, 12:25:23 PM »

From what I've read the new Vive isn't much of an upgrade, especially at $800 for just the headset.  They put 2 cameras on but there is no software that uses both, and the resolution bump is only marginally better.

Like I said I hadn't been paying attention for the last year+, I was surprised the systems have not really changed in that time.

Oh yeah?  What I read is that the higher resolution gets rid of the screen door effect, and makes text more readable. But the experience had lost some of the wow factor you get the first time you try it. 

The other thing is that there isn’t anything I’m dying to play in VR. Some stuff would be fun to try, but that’s about it. The new puzzle game from Cyan sounds cool, but that won’t be out for a while.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2693 on: April 11, 2018, 01:57:45 PM »

Oh yeah?  What I read is that the higher resolution gets rid of the screen door effect, and makes text more readable. But the experience had lost some of the wow factor you get the first time you try it. 

The other thing is that there isn’t anything I’m dying to play in VR. Some stuff would be fun to try, but that’s about it. The new puzzle game from Cyan sounds cool, but that won’t be out for a while.

Yeah, I did see some people mention the screen door effect is lessened, and there is more detail on stuff in the background that before was slightly blurry.  But if you are starting from scratch and need the base stations and the controllers it's double the price just for those improvements.

The other thought I had was upgrading my monitor, so if I get an Nvidia 3D Vision compatible one, getting that instead might be more fun, and would work with way more games, and it would be a way to watch my 3D blu-rays when I upgrade my big TV to 4K and lose the ability to watch those discs (no 3D on new TVs these days).

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4221
« Reply #2694 on: April 22, 2018, 06:25:03 PM »
Well, that was a stressful and thoroughly wasted hour of my life!

I have deliberately not allowed Firefux to update for a while (because of certain add-ons).  Well, it's been fucking up more and more lately, and has been a MASSIVE memory hog (at one point I looked and it was taking up 3 GB of memory!)

So I let it update, to see if I could get some speed improvements and fewer freezes.

And the stupid designers STILL have the damn tabs at the top, ABOVE the main menu, and the links menu!  It took me (particularly since I'm WAY past my limits currently) possibly half an hour of stressful time finding and implementing the 'fix' for that... a fix for something that should not be an issue to start with!

After doing that, and starting to get my 'start page links' settled, I happened to check the Search box.  And I'd lost THE main thing that keeps me tied to Firefox in the first place, but which I'd actually forgotten: an add-on that creates a pull-down menu giving direct access to ALL of the website Search boxes from as many websites as one desires.  Because of how I use the internet, I have THIRTY website Search boxes there (and, yes, I use each of them)!  [e.g. I have two just for this Forum: a 'words in post search' and a 'words in Subject search'.]  The difference in time, effort, and hassle, of having to go to each of those websites, going to any dedicated Search page for the complex searches, and THEN getting results - for every instance of a search for something from them, vs. having all that available immediately from the Search box in the corner?  No fucking way I'm giving that up for ANY supposed performance gain!

So I moved every bit of Firefox (new) out of the 'Programs' and 'Users' areas, and copied my Firefox backup (from day before yesterday, so I lost a bit of stuff) into the folders.

Still... I guess there is one thing I got out of this: there will NEVER be a time where I consider updating it again until it completely ceases working.  At which time I may move to Opera, or Chrome.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 06:27:47 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2695 on: April 22, 2018, 07:46:27 PM »
The last few years there have been several add-ons I used a lot in Firefox that have been broken by updates and the developers just gave up because they could get no support from Mozilla.  I keep saying I'm going to switch to Chrome but I still haven't.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2696 on: May 27, 2018, 09:59:25 AM »
This is sort of computer related, I have yet to find a chair mat that lasts more than a year without cracking to pieces when used on carpet.  So, when the current vinyl one I got a year ago started cracking I figured I'd try bamboo, but I still don't trust what people say about it working fine on carpet so I'm putting it over the vinyl one for support, in a year we will see if the bamboo hasn't started falling apart...............

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2697 on: May 27, 2018, 10:39:54 AM »
I don't use anything under my chairs. The carpet looks ok but you can definitely see the roller marks from years of movement

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 337
« Reply #2698 on: May 27, 2018, 02:35:15 PM »
I mostly like it because the wheels sink into the carpet and just make moving the chair around that little bit more annoying.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2699 on: June 04, 2018, 04:15:12 AM »
So I worked out a deal with my long time I T friend yesterday about purchasing a stout new rig :o

Core i7-6700
4x4GB Ripjaw DDR4-400 16GB RAM
128GB m.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX 660TI Superclock
ASRock B150M Pro4V Motherboard
With a Tower Case included ready to go with Win10 Pro

A $1200 setup for $650.

I'll post pics (& video) once I get it 8)
Welp I wound up having to pass on this setup thanks entirely to that massive $1447 dollar power bill I posted about in the RRARRGH thread :-[
http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=4448.msg994215#msg994215
No way could I afford it with this albatross hanging over my head so I told my friend to go ahead and sell it to someone else and hopefully I can get the next one he comes across :-\
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 04:49:31 AM by RVR II »