Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 228511 times)

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
THE COMPUTER THREAD
« on: August 24, 2007, 06:05:58 AM »
I'm not sure if there's a thread devoted to your computer(s), so here one is.

The last relic of my 1st computer I had finally died last night after 7 years.. My 19" Gateway CRT Monitor.
I Just ordered a Nice 22" wide screen LCD monitor through the Price Watch ( http://www.pricewatch.com/ ) website this morning to replace it - I Love This Site.
I don't know why it caused me to think of creating this thread, as I now have a total of 7 computers (including an 8 camera, 500gb video storage surveillance computer system) that I built over the years, all networked on an 8 port wired (no Wireless option) LinkSys router, and all run my small business. I have upgraded all of them recently (adding memory, adding bigger hard drives, adding/replacing multiple DVD burners, to replacing the entire motherboard, processor & memory combo in 1 unit so far.). I even started dreaming of getting a Quad 4 Duo 2 processor, w/ motherboard, and 3gb memory combo for $700 but I just don't need it unless one of them has a catastrophic hardware failure.

I used to be into hot rods and muscle cars back in the 80's & through the 90's but now I'm into 'sooping up' computers :D

Post your experiences, new purchases, upgrades, pics (if you've got them), and more.
I am by no means an expert, but sharing your knowledge can help us all in this "Age of the Internet"!

Here's one that I built back in Feb. 2004 when we got 18" of snow here in our area. This is probably my favorite. Named 'light show' as it is completely luminescent with LED's. It now has 6 hard drives totaling 2 Terra bites of storage. When I'm online, this is usually the computer I'm using..

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 06:53:37 AM »
Your computer is much cooler than mine. I just got a "new" replacement computer this week, to take the place of my old computer that was lost when my basement flooded last month.

It's an Athlon x64 4400, 2 gig DDR2 RAM, 250 gig primary drive, 120 gig secondary drive, and I'll be putting in either a 1024 dual chip or 512 single chip NVidia card sometime next month when I get the check from my insurance company.

Right now, I am in the process of removing Vista and formatting the drive so I can put a real OS on it, probably going to go with Ubuntu for now. It's taking more time than I usually devote to a new computer because I still don't have my office back, so I don't really have a place to put it. That, and Vista is the most annoyingly embeded operating system I've ever seen, which appears to be specifically designed to try to prevent you from taking it off the hard drive or formatting the drive - monopoly? What's a monopoly?
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 07:12:35 AM »
Monopoly is Multiple computers using the same OS & same serial #.. Vista hasn't produced one yet that I'm aware of. I've heard too many horror stories to think of using Vista right now. I'll wait another year or two. It's bad enough maintaining what I've got right now than to learn/fight with a whole new OS.

I have a 'Volume Version' disc of XP Pro for use on multiple computers using the same serial # like all mine.

Sounds like a cool new set up you have. I had 1 AMD based board and processor and it just didn't perform as good as the Intel based setups I'm using currently..  I don't do a whole lot of gaming, but for performance with my business operations, the Intel's have served me well!
All of my processors I'm using currently are the older Pentium 4's; none are less than 3GB processors and they are still pretty fast when performing multiple functions.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 07:58:17 PM »
Monopoly is Multiple computers using the same OS & same serial #.. Vista hasn't produced one yet that I'm aware of. I've heard too many horror stories to think of using Vista right now. I'll wait another year or two. It's bad enough maintaining what I've got right now than to learn/fight with a whole new OS.

I have a 'Volume Version' disc of XP Pro for use on multiple computers using the same serial # like all mine.

Sounds like a cool new set up you have. I had 1 AMD based board and processor and it just didn't perform as good as the Intel based setups I'm using currently..  I don't do a whole lot of gaming, but for performance with my business operations, the Intel's have served me well!
All of my processors I'm using currently are the older Pentium 4's; none are less than 3GB processors and they are still pretty fast when performing multiple functions.

"Trust" probably would have been a better term than "monopoly," but I was tired. Trust, as in, Microsoft tries to force people to use their products and limit their alternatives - which is why the United States has anti-trust laws, and why Microsoft has been up on charges numerous times for potential violations of said laws (I'm too lazy to check if they have ever actually had to pay any fines for it, but my guess offhand would be that they have, just not enough to stop).

I also have a multi-machine licence for XP pro, because I have to use it for my work machine, and since my employer was footing the bill, I made them pay to upgrade my other systems and network along with it. For personal use, I'm much more into Linux, because it takes far less resources to run (or, to put it another way, takes less resources to exist on your machine whether you are actively using it or not), which gives you much more resources to do what you actually wanted to do. (BTW, not trying to convert anyone, before I get flamed for mentioning the dreaded L-Word, just stating why I personally choose to use it)

As far as the P4 versus Core Duo processor argument, the current Dual processors are only a little bit better than the really high end P4s (which it sounds like you have) for day to day stuff, since the first and second gen versions of the dual processors sacrificed throughput capabilities for more raw power (same thing with the current incarnations of DDR2 technology for memory and video card chipsets - they have more power, but have to work harder to deliver that power... this will improve significantly in future versions as companies get better at working with micro-electronics and find better ways to deal with friction on the microscopic level). You wouldn't really notice any MAJOR difference between a high end P4 and a mid-range Dual at this point unless you were doing some really intense graphics work, or playing games that used a lot of high end, demanding functions.

As far as AMD vs. Intel goes, I don't really have any brand loyalty either way. AMD has been more willing to take risks and try new things over the past 6 years or so than Intel has, which is both a good and bad thing - faster innovation, better overall technology at the end of the pipeline, but some costly mistakes along the way (most notably, their processors from 4-5 years ago having a tendency to burn out in about 20 seconds if the heatsink stopped working, because they were forcing too much power through them to keep up with Intel's already established benchmarks because of their time in the industry). The AMD chips these days aren't much different than the Intel ones, other than being slightly cheaper (always a plus to the nerd on a budget).

But the real technology I want to get my hands on is from Sun. They've always made the best chips, it's just that they're only available for high end servers. But they announced a couple of weeks ago that they're going to make a commercial version of their EIGHT core processor (the first version of this chip was only for servers, but they decided just recently to expand on that). The chip has 8 cores, each with 8 threads, for 64 total simultaneous threads. It also has better throughput and  energy efficiency than anything else on the market... plus it's less than a thousand bucks right now for the server version. The retail version should be something relatively similar. Would you pay $900 for a 16.8 GhZ processor? ;)

Hmm... that was a long post. Apparently, I like  computers. :)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 08:15:39 PM »
WOW!! Impressive! :clap: :clap: :clap:

That 'Eight' core processor sounds F'N Awsome though! ;D

Offline Tarantulas

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 08:42:56 PM »

Sorry... my system PWNS yours.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 08:44:10 PM »
 :speechless: :scared: :scared:

DAYYUM!!!

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 12:33:06 AM »
I have a Athlon64 Dual Core 2.6Ghz processor, with 2GB of RAM, and one 250 GB Hard Drive, and an ATI Radeon 256mb Video card.  and i have 2 external HD that are 160 GB each.  And im running Vista Home Premium(32-bit edition).

and no, apparently, my friend can't set the damn time stamp on his camera :P

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
  • Eyy Veeee Peeeee.
    • ChrisHanel.com
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 12:47:49 AM »
I'm running on a Sony Vaio AR170 laptop, which has caused me to completely abandon my technologically superior and more robust Vaio desktop system sitting behind a bunch of clutter. I don't like switching between workstations, so I've ended up having to pick which of my children is my favorite, and it's the laptop hands down. The screen is pristine and huge, its specs are beast-like for a portable machine, and my Verizon wireless broadband card means Starbucks can take their Hotspot subscription rates and shove them up their stupid asses. :D

Also, I have a really cool WoW decal on my casing, i'll take pics when I'm not blisteringly drunk.*

-Chris

*poster is not actually drunk, but it's a great excuse
"Could I recommend some jugglers you might like?" -- Bill Hicks

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 12:58:27 AM »
my cube's been running strong for about eight year's now (yes it runs the latest os)

as for my regular PC... pretty standard stuff
3 ghz pent4, 200gb harddrive, 1 gig ram, DVD+RW

also, my laptop died after a year's use (compaq laptops suck)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 01:00:08 AM by Minnesota »

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 05:55:32 AM »
I know Nothing about Apple (Mac), but that's a pretty cool cube!

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 09:34:45 AM »

Sorry... my system PWNS yours.

DAMN!! That is one hell of a cool unit!!

I'd proudly display that thing front and center, even if it didn't work!
(I'm not joking here, I love old technology, and the styling of old components! Heck, I even own a Mac Performa 575!!)

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 09:51:51 AM »
We had a cube in our office when I worked for an ISP several years ago (anyone a former customer of Teleport in Portland, Oregon before they got bought out by Earthlink? then chances are, you've spoken to me on the phone). We used it to run the one copy of OS 10 we had, since half the techs didn't actually use Macs, so had to actually go over to the machine and walk through a setup / troubleshoot along with the customer when they got a call from a Mac user. Other than that, we just used it to watch movies on when the call volume was low. ;)

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
  • Eyy Veeee Peeeee.
    • ChrisHanel.com
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 09:53:47 AM »
I was in Tech Support at Mattel for a bit. We played Counterstrike, especially on holidays when nobody was calling in. I also had a really nice MAME collection on my machine. Upset the supervisors something horrible, but my numbers were great so they never did anything about it.
"Could I recommend some jugglers you might like?" -- Bill Hicks

Offline the long undertow

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 09:59:22 AM »
My pc isn't all that impressive.  I just add more RAM or a new video card or hoard drive when I need to.  I'm currently trying to decide whether I should spend around $300 for a gforce 8800 and 2GB of RAM, but then I got to thinking about upcoming stuff like Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band and am trying to decide if a game console would be a better choice.