login

Author Topic: When Were Nickelodeon's "Glory Years" and Down Period  (Read 6396 times)

Offline TMC1982

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
When Were Nickelodeon's "Glory Years" and Down Period
« on: August 15, 2007, 06:10:39 PM »
Nickelodeon's peak period I think existed from 1991 (when the original Nicktoons premiered) until 1999-2000 (when the "Golden Age" of "All That" ended). This was around the time that Geraldine Laybourne was running the network (1983-1996 to be exact).

However, I grew up watching stuff like "You Can't Do That on Television", "Mr. Wizard's World", "Don't Just Sit There", "Double Dare", "Out of Control", "Pinwheel", "Special Delivery" etc. as the network was building and building. That period (1979-1990) could be considered the true "classic" era of Nickelodoen. Also during this period, they had tons of shows different parts of the world like France, Germany, Canada (e.g. "You Can't Do That on Television"), England (e.g. "Danger Mouse", "Count Duckula", and "Bananaman"), Spain, etc. Nickelodeon back then, was more of an "educational" channel.

However, by 1999, it could be argued that Nick went excessive in airing their own original NickToons (instead of a mixture of game shows, live-action sitcoms, etc.). It in essence, became sort of a surrogate Cartoon Network. Half of the Nicktoons becoming dominated by Klasky-Csupo. This was right around the time that Herb Scandell took over for Geraldine Laybourne.

I think the problems with Nickelodeon today are several key factors:
*Live-action shows that lack originality or anything truly unique. Imagine something like "The Adventures of Pete & Pete", for example or "The Secret World of Alex Mack" and "Salute Your Shorts" being on Nick's schedule. I do like "Ned's Declassified..." but to me, that show kind of resembles the original format of "Welcome Freshmen" (an irreverent satire on high/junior high school life). "Unfabulous" with Julia Roberts' niece to me, comes across as a knock off of "Clarissa Explains it All" and/or "Lizzie Maguire." And why or how Britney Spears' little sister "earned" her own show (especially considering that her character on "Zoey 101" is so boring), I have no clue?

*Appealing too much to tween viewers (the same thing that's wrong with the Disney Channel today). Take for instance, "All That" post-Season 6. Also around 2000, it seemed like Nickelodeon was trying to hard to be like MTV. They start showing more music videos, we get "TeeNick", we get "Slime Time Live", we get "U-Pick Live", etc. It bugs the hell out of me that Nickelodeon would completely junk the "SNICK" concept (a Saturday night insitution, big Orange couch and all, since 1992) in favor of more "TeeNick." To put it in another way, the network tried to hard (and still is I feel) to be "trendy" and up to date.

SNICK_Tribute_Page

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
Re: When Were Nickelodeon's "Glory Years" and Down Period
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:54:27 PM »
You're not giving nearly enough credit to the nicktoons.....  Doug, Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Aaah! Real Monsters, Angry Bevers, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Kablaam to an extent, and I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of cause that period in the 90's/early 00's were some of the best cartoons around I think...  Now they've just got Fairly Odd Parents and Jimmy Neutron covering the same generic territory and then other cartoons that keep failing...  Though Spongebob's pretty good, it's probably the last of the good original nicktoons.

Also I admit I like Drake & Josh...

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 08:48:22 PM »
Personally, I was never very big on the Nicktoons, though when I was younger I did enjoy Rugrats, and Aah! Real Monsters, but mostly just because they weren't quite as bad as the other dreck cartoons of the early to mid nineties that my younger brother insisted on watching. When Rocko's Modern Life first came out, I really wasn't impressed by it - I was probably too old to really enjoy that type of show at that point anyway, but it just seemed a little silly to me (looking back, I would classify the show as "Ben Stiller Comedy" - i.e. nice goofy guy, that lots of embarassing shit happened to, repeatedly and indefinitely until it was just painful to watch). I never really cared for Ren and Stimpy either, even though so many people went apeshit for it at the time it was first being aired - mostly because it was so different from anything else at the time, I think.

For me, the real golden years of Nickelodeon were defined by shows like Roundhouse (I STILL know the tune and words to this, even though I haven't seen it in about 15 years), Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Salute Your Shorts, Double Dare (though they were off the air and only showing reruns at that point), etc.  I don't remember what they used to call their friday night lineup, but I remember that Roundhouse and AUAotD were 2 of the 4 shows in the lineup, and that I never missed watching that 2 hour block of TV every week.

"Whenever my life gets me so down"... I loved that damn show. :)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 09:05:05 PM »
heh there are a few others that i miss from when i was really little like.  eurekas castle.  there are a few that im not sure were nick but same era for me.  David the gnome and mya the bee.  and eldarado the search for the city of gold. 

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 09:27:02 PM »

I grew up watching You Can't Do That on Television... so for me, Nickelodeon will always and forever be linked to that one show. However, when i really became aware of Nick as it's own channel, with it's own identity, is when they began airing Nick@Night. I loved staying up really late and watching classic television like Dobie Gillis, The Donna Reed Show and What's My Line.

Watching the early years of Nick@Night was really quite an experience for me. Since it was very late at night, i usually watched it alone in the dark. It was kind of like a surreal window to another era. And because i was young, i felt like i had discovered these old television shows. Anyway it was the first time that a television channel had really programmed an experience for me as a viewer.

After that my summer vacations were ruled by a block of old gameshows on USA, and MTV owned my highschool nights with Headbanger's Ball. And even today The Cartoon Network manages to accomplish something close with Adult Swim. But it's ironic that when i think of my favorite Nickelodeon shows... almost none of them were ever actually produced for Nickelodeon, and most of them were long ended before i had even been born~

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 09:43:07 PM »
I have to agree with Rude.  The thing I remember most about Nickelodeon is Nick at Nite with Mister Ed and Donna Reed and Ozzie and Harriett, etc.  Heck, they were the network that made me obsessed with the Monkees for a long time.

I also did grow up thinking "I don't know" should be followed by green slime though.  I think that is the show that really "made" the network.  They still associate themselves with the slime, afterall.  Mr. Wizard was also a fave and I vaguely remember watching Pinwheel...still remember the song.

I also remember when they were a bit older and had smart tween shows like Clarissa Explains It All and heck, I even liked "Hey Dude."  Actually, I think I might have been a tween then (Melissa Joan Hart has to be my age). 

It seems like when Doug, Rugrats and Ren and Stimpy (which, I admit, that I always liked Ren and Stimpy and Doug) that the other shows took a backseat to them.  Kinda sad.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline the long undertow

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
I think the decline started when the shows started becoming more of the same type of thing.  There were lots of unique live shows and some quality cartoons from different companies, and then fewer and fewer.  I would have to say for me it was maybe around 96 or so when they ended Rocko's Modern Life and Pete and Pete, and didn't run the older shows that I had enjoyed that I pretty much quit watching altogether.  My younger brother kept watching though, so I caught bits and pieces of stuff along the way.  Thanks to him, I found Invader Zim, but they canned that pretty quickly.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 10:25:42 AM »
Along with some fellow thread contributors, I grew up with "You Can't Do That on Television"... Years later, "Hey Dude", "Fifteen" and "Welcome Freshman" being live-action guilty pleasures that I watched alot while being relatively removed from the target audience age bracket.

Fifteen being my personal favorite. A lot of really, really bad Canadian teen actors performing a really, really bad high school soap opera.... (Featuring a young Ryan Reynolds... and some relatively anonymous blond woman who went on to become a regular guest star on the CSI, 24, ER, Law and Order type of shows)

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3071
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 02:35:51 PM »
Nicktoons were good. Trying to become the second cartoon network was bad. Cartoon network, in turn, trying to become the second Nickelodeon is also bad. Nickelodeon was at its best right at the beginning of the Nicktoon era, when there were a couple hours a week for their awesome toons, but you could still tune in during the daytime to watch kiddie-sitcoms and Pinwheel. :^)

anais.jude

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 03:40:10 PM »
Another thing that I greatly miss are re-runs of Loony Tunes and Merry Melodies. My sister is 12 years younger than I am, and she has only seen "What's Opera, Doc" because I showed it to her. Other than being referenced by MST3k and Rifftrax, Warner Bros. cartoons were funnier, more creative, and, hell, even more educational than most other cartoons.
I also loooooooooooooooved Hey Dude! which featured Mrs. Ben Stiller herself, Christine Taylor!

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 03:58:03 PM »
I stand by that "The Adventures of Pete & Pete" was the best thing Nick ever created. I also stand by that "Legends of the Hidden Temple" was the most original and fun game show of all time. (Yes, TripeHoundRedux, even more so then "Knightmare" or "The Crystal Maze.")

Offline the long undertow

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 04:16:33 PM »
I stand by that "The Adventures of Pete & Pete" was the best thing Nick ever created.
I might have to agree with you on that.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 07:22:59 PM »
pete and pete was awesome.

Offline N_Sponenberg

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • None...Uh...No Personal Text...
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 07:38:30 PM »
I agree. Nickelodeon is nothing more than prepackaged, sugar coated, kid's programming. All the shows that have been mentioned were what I grew up with as well. Especially the Looney Tunes era. (Speaking of which, does anyone remember when they used to run Looney Tunes really late at night and then again immediately on Nick at Nite? I was really young back then and greatly looked forward to "2 Looney Tune night" as my father called it)
I have to attribute part of the downfall of the network to the loss of Invader Zim. That show was really funny, even to an older crowd.
"Mercy is the mark of a great man.... Guess I'm just a good man... Well, I'm alright"- Malcom Reynolds

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 08:21:10 PM »
I stand by that "The Adventures of Pete & Pete" was the best thing Nick ever created. I also stand by that "Legends of the Hidden Temple" was the most original and fun game show of all time. (Yes, TripeHoundRedux, even more so then "Knightmare" or "The Crystal Maze.")

OMG, I totally forgot about Legends of the Hidden Temple. I LOVED that show! I also thought a lot of the contestants were being pretty stupid about the way they ran through the temple, though. That was during my earlier shouting-at-the-idiots-onscreen stage. :)

*runs off to see if LotHT is on YouTube*
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton