login

Author Topic: This is Rifftrax!!! dum-dada-dum-dada-dum-da-dum-da-dum (was 300 a good movie?)  (Read 23145 times)

Offline scottrkrv

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
This has been asked at least once before, but never answered:

How did the rifftrax get done before the DVD was released?

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
On timeout

Offline scottrkrv

• Schnappi Supporter
Shut-up, Jack. ;)

Offline AmazingThor

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 14
  • Spam fed the Russian army
If I had to guess I'd say illegal download. But I wouldn't say it too loudly, Big Brother is watching.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
This has been asked at least once before, but never answered:

How did the rifftrax get done before the DVD was released?
Torgos pretty much said they were given an advance copy by the studio. 

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
Given a copy? To make fun of? I guess they figure that however many people rent the movie to watch the riffing are just that many more people paying them in the end... still, it's nice of them. The Time Chasers guys wouldn't have done that.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
Well I guess I'll be the nerd here and go on record as saying that I didn't like the film. It looked cool and had some good action, but little else. I didn't care about the characters at all and I sure didn't care whether they lived or died. It got old quick.

Considering there are multiple threads discussing this film and plenty of people have said they don't like it, this is hardly some sort of anti-establishment or lone opinion.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
I fail to see how a movie can't both be a good movie AND be a good RiffTrax target at the same time.

Lord of the Rings was an awesome movie. It is a good retelling of the story, that even someone who hasn't read the books can easily enjoy, with beautiful and authentic feeling scenery, costumes, etc. Sure, Jackson screwed some of it up by trying to change it to make it more "Hollywood," but on the whole the movie was a fantastic success. But it is EVEN BETTER with RiffTrax.

If you close your eyes and block out the sound of Keanu's inability to act, The Matrix is actually quite a good story, with some fun punch-y bits. But the RiffTrax makes it 20 times better, because all of the stupid / tedious parts become funny, entertaining parts.

I feel the same way about 300. Taken for what it is (a 2 hour long battle sequence with random bits of story thrown in your face), it's an entertaining movie. It's not Shakespeare, but it isn't trying to be. But it's still going to be even better with the riffage added in (especially with the long awaited return of Bill - that magic energy of all three of them together makes any RIffTrax better!). :)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
Yeah, the idea that only movies which "deserve it" should get riffed is limiting.
And why would the studios give them an advanced copy? cause they know that having a rifftrax for it will mean more copies sold to people who wouldn't otherwise see it.

Offline Estevan

• Disembaudio's Squadio
I thought 300 was fucking awesome!  Dare to disagree with me!  Come on!  This is Rifftrax!!!!

Your on! ....I disagree.

• Mr Bungle
Oh no you didn't, Hazzah!
On timeout

Offline countv

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Sexy Hitler
I thought 300 was a cringe enducing movie that (unlike the spartans) missed it's target more than it hit it. Terrible wooden acting (only Butler's Connery impression shines) overdone action and probably the thing that struck me most, a complate lack of scale. It really did look like they shot it in a small blue screen room. The million strong army carefully hidden around a corner for most of the film seemed like a budget choice than an artistic one. Then there is the cave troll, the men in pants, the overtly homo-erotic overtones and the Bush-like politic and the strange point in the film where they suggest that the other,  weedy Greeks are boy-lovers as if not to damage the Spartan mythology by making out that they aren't boy-lovers themselves when they very much were. The continual slow-mo action, the "hit you over the head" plot points like when they look at the coins on the floor, real subtle. The horrible American Footballesque whooping the spartans do and possibly the single most awful thing in the film, that Bard Spartan. His horrible voice, his painful speech at the end and his scabby beard. I could've forgiven everything else but him.

Saying that I like the Tree sequence and the man-love flirting with Leon and Xerxey was funny.

The moment I left the cinema I knew this movie would be rifftraxed. Bloody awful, pun intended.
As a silent film it would've been very special, sadly it wasn't. I just have to wait for euroland to catch up before I get to enjoy this rifftrax.

• Mr Bungle
what are you a woman, JEEEEZ.  Just kidding you are absolutely right. 
Why weren't Jesus and Mel Gibson in this?
On timeout

Offline oorat

• Blue Beer Drinker
I loved 300.  But I also love the graphic novel it is based on, and it is almost an exact adaption of the comic, which was written by Frank Miller.  Miller's stuff can be a bit overly dramatic, in almost a hyper noir style, which is what is so great about the Sin City comics.  There are just some movies that are so over the top in some regards that they just turn some people off to it.  Ofcourse this makes me really wants to see a rifftrax for Sin City now though, I wasn't so happy with how that movie turned out.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
Given a copy? To make fun of? I guess they figure that however many people rent the movie to watch the riffing are just that many more people paying them in the end... still, it's nice of them. The Time Chasers guys wouldn't have done that.

Actually the Time Chasers guys would have.  If you watched the intro by Mike on the DVD the creators threw a screening party when they heard it was gonna be on the show.  They were excited to see it and only got upset after the fact.