login

Author Topic: Batman and Robin  (Read 13169 times)

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
Re: Batman and Robin
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2006, 06:33:41 PM »
The worser the movie is, the funnier its gonna be when it gets riffed

I know I'm in a minority here, but as someone who can't make it through the Manos MST epiosde in one sitting, I don't think bad movie = funny. The whole reason we're all here is because Joel had the brilliant idea of making fun of movies. It just so happened that the only movies they could get their hands on were bad - very bad - but there's no reason you can't riff the hell out of a good movie. The things that make a for great riffing and the things that make for bad movies aren't the same.

Here's an exercise: take your favorite movie - one you yourself belief to be great - and try to riff it. Or, if you're not particularly funny, at least imagine Mike riffing it. Now do the same thing with, say, a Police Academy movie. Which riff do you think would turn out to be funnier?

Fun fact: If you search for the title "Police Academy" on IMDb.com the 14th result is MST3K's Academy Of Robots' Choice Awards. Weird.

You're probably right in that really bad movies are just too painful, even with Mikes help.
However, I should have said that there is a "sweet spot" with movies that make them fun to watch/riff. By sweet spot, I mean they are bad and/or cheesy, but yet they are still entertaining to a certain degree. For example: I think Road House, Cocktail, and Crossroads fit into this category.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 12:24:46 AM »
However, I should have said that there is a "sweet spot" with movies that make them fun to watch/riff. By sweet spot, I mean they are bad and/or cheesy, but yet they are still entertaining to a certain degree. For example: I think Road House, Cocktail, and Crossroads fit into this category.

Exactly. It's like the Bad Movie Bell Curve.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 01:35:59 PM »
I was a big fan of the Batman movies as a kid. When Tim Burton left the series and Joel Schu"muck"er took over, it quickly took a U-Turn into "What the Hell?!?" territory. I want retribution! Riff both of these turds!
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 01:50:48 PM »
I don't doubt that this movie will recieve a riff eventually.

It's like the Bad Movie Bell Curve.

Nice, I laughed.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1480
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 01:55:14 PM »
Based on precedent, I don't think that Rifftrax would go after Batman and Robin.  I think they would do the first Batman by Tim Burton.  They didn't do the third X men, they did the first.  They didn't do the second or third Matrix, they did the first, even though the sequels were worse.  By tackling the first they can comment on the entire series without having to make exceptions for the first film.  They can call it silly and poorly done, and you automatically assume that applies to the following films.  Many times sequels are worse than the original, it's rare if the sequel is better.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 02:16:49 PM »
Based on precedent, I don't think that Rifftrax would go after Batman and Robin.  I think they would do the first Batman by Tim Burton.  They didn't do the third X men, they did the first.  They didn't do the second or third Matrix, they did the first, even though the sequels were worse.

I don't think so. I've never seen the X-Men sequels (because I'm not a fan), but are they as ludicrously over-the-top as Batman & Robin was? The film is so incredibly cheesy that it makes for an essential RiffTrax film. I'm not saying this out of personal preference, I'm just saying that the sequels would work better because the first Batman movie isn't nearly as ridiculous as its sequels (and that includes Batman Returns, which is quite absurd, even though I really like the film).

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 02:30:01 PM »
he's such a mod, that crazy spider is

Uh, sorry Tarantulas.. about accidentally squashing your Aunt Gohma this morning... she was trying to lay eggs in my cerial

Ah, yes...every non-mod dreams of this.  How annoying, that Boris - er, I mean, T-rant.

Look, he's crawling up my wall
Black and hairy, very small
Now he's up above my head
Hanging by a little thread

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Now he's dropped on to the floor
Heading for the bedroom door
Maybe he's as scared as me
Where's he gone now, I can't see

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Creepy, crawly
Creepy, crawly
Creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly

There he is wrapped in a ball
Doesn't seem to move at all
Perhaps he's dead, I'll just make sure
Pick this book up off the floor

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Creepy, crawly
Creepy, crawly

He's come to a sticky end
Don't think he will ever mend
Never more will he crawl 'round
He's embedded in the ground

Boris the spider
Boris the spider
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 02:32:37 PM »
And now, for an ON-topic post:

Batman and Robin sucked the gay out of Liberace's anus.  Joel Schumacher reminds me of the flambuoyantly gay director of "Springtime for Hitler" original version of The Producers (y'know...the one that didn't suck).  Tacky, over-the-top, and completely talentless.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 02:53:20 PM »

Ah, yes...every non-mod dreams of this.  How annoying, that Boris - er, I mean, T-rant.

Look, he's crawling up my wall
Black and hairy, very small
Now he's up above my head
Hanging by a little thread

Boris the spider
Boris the spider
Now he's dropped on to the floor
Heading for the bedroom door
Maybe he's as scared as me
Where's he gone now, I can't see

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Creepy, crawly
Creepy, crawly

There he is wrapped in a ball
Doesn't seem to move at all
Perhaps he's dead, I'll just make sure
Pick this book up off the floor

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Creepy, crawly
Creepy, crawly

He's come to a sticky end
Don't think he will ever mend
Never more will he crawl 'round
He's embedded in the ground

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2006, 04:36:41 PM »
Any of the batmans will do, but Batman and Robin would be best

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2006, 04:42:57 PM »
Based on precedent, I don't think that Rifftrax would go after Batman and Robin.  I think they would do the first Batman by Tim Burton.  They didn't do the third X men, they did the first.  They didn't do the second or third Matrix, they did the first, even though the sequels were worse.  By tackling the first they can comment on the entire series without having to make exceptions for the first film.  They can call it silly and poorly done, and you automatically assume that applies to the following films.  Many times sequels are worse than the original, it's rare if the sequel is better.

I dunno. it would be pretty difficult to follow X-Men 3 of The Matrix Reloaded without having seen the first movies, but I think everyone is familiar enough with the concept of Batman that you can jump right ahead and riff Batman & Robin. However, I think Mike & Co. shouldn't do B&R simply because it's too easy. It's so goofy it riffs itself. The first Batman or Batman Returns would make for much better riffing.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2006, 05:47:23 PM »
Joel Schumacher reminds me of the flambuoyantly gay director of "Springtime for Hitler" original version of The Producers (y'know...the one that didn't suck).

What was wrong with the film of the musical? I liked it. Both it and the 1968 film are very, very funny. 8)

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2006, 06:14:19 PM »
I think Mike & Co. shouldn't do B&R simply because it's too easy. It's so goofy it riffs itself.

Well, they said that about "Reefer Madness," "Plan 9," "Road House," and "Star Trek V," too. But Mike and co. did a great job with these flicks. 8)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1480
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2006, 06:28:10 PM »
I think Mike & Co. shouldn't do B&R simply because it's too easy. It's so goofy it riffs itself.

Well, they said that about "Reefer Madness," "Plan 9," "Road House," and "Star Trek V," too. But Mike and co. did a great job with these flicks. 8)

Who said that?  And yes, the second Producer's film did suck.  And if not sucked, then is no where near as good as the first. 

I'm still putting my money on the first Batman film if there is to be a Batman riffed.  I agree with what Sharktopus has said, but it still stands that one film being worse than another is not an indicator of it being more likely to be riffed. 

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2006, 06:33:03 PM »
yes! Batman and Robin. it must be done, because I already have the DVD which will never be watched otherwise
I really do like pie.