Author Topic: RRRRRAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!  (Read 1393990 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1506
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: RRRRRAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!
« Reply #15135 on: May 02, 2013, 06:40:12 PM »
Another exciting day in Brockton. Choppers have been buzzing our house nonstop for about an hour while cops try to hunt down a bunch of idiots who were shooting at State police 2 streets over. Their car was abandoned a few blocks from my house. (With our house in between those two locations)

Ugh.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #15136 on: May 02, 2013, 07:04:08 PM »
So I guess they are building a pipeline that will pump natural gas obtained from fracking into NYC, which makes me mad by itself.  But I found out when I saw someone post this on facebook

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/av_opE1-Lpk&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/av_opE1-Lpk&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>

What really makes me mad is the continued use of the word "occupy".  occupythepipeline.com?  That's really what you're going with?  Ignoring the physical impossibilities, why do you insist on using a brand that conjures up phrases like "failure", "unorganized", "youth", and "hipsters"?  Nothing happened because of occupy wallstreet.  It's true that using the term 'occupy' will get some young hipsters to come out for a couple days, but in order to be taken seriously by the rest of the world can't you think of something new?

The bald guy at 0:37 would make an awesome Bond villain. That Vulcan thing he does with his eyebrow.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2447
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #15137 on: May 02, 2013, 07:25:21 PM »
Been looking for articles on how much radon would come from the fracked natural gas, not easy to do.  Only ones I've found have not actually measured the amounts at the well heads, just doing calculations based on USGS surveys of the amount of uranium in the shale...

So, can't be sure if it's a real concern or not.  They talk a lot about how many days it would take for the gas to reach NYC, 6 to 8, so less would decay vs. the gas that comes from the southern states.  But what about the people that are already using the stuff closer to the wells?  Are their houses filled with radon?  You would think someone would be investigating that?

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #15138 on: May 03, 2013, 10:27:09 AM »
Thank you, Lucas :)

Yesterday I went to the gym and did some running (SCORE!). Then I went to my spanish class. So I didn't go home and hide like I wanted to.

I did eat a lot of Taco Bell after my spanish class, but what can you do.

Today was another triumph! I got out of bed! Woohoo! I just told myself that there were two options: Getting up and staying in bed, and the way to heal was to get up.

Small victories

Congrats!

You are very welcome.  I'm glad something I said could help. :)

One thing, with your, "I didn't go home and hide like I wanted to."  I don't know if you pushed yourself 'too far' to stay out and about.  If there are times where you really feel you need to withdraw for a while, do so.  Pushing yourself too far while you are processing intense traumas is a way of ignoring or possibly even retraumatizing yourself (which may replicate what you went through as a child, rather than soothe and heal it).  You need to now do the parenting and protecting of yourself that wasn't done then.  Take care of yourself.  And be gentle with yourself.

You didn't  push me to stay out. Working out was great! I did hurt my hip a little, but c'est la vie. Spanish was hard but I recognizsed that being there was better than not being there. I made the choices because I knew they were the right things to do.

Thanks to Bob, Mrs Dick, Lucas, and RVR for responding to my posts. It meant a lot to me <3
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3593
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #15139 on: May 03, 2013, 11:18:40 AM »
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3488
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #15140 on: May 03, 2013, 11:40:34 AM »
Radon isn't too bad to get rid of.  You can usually take care of it by installing a fan system in your place.  It does suck to have to deal with it, but at least you don't have to move.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #15141 on: May 03, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »
Radon isn't too bad to get rid of.  You can usually take care of it by installing a fan system in your place.  It does suck to have to deal with it, but at least you don't have to move.

The concern is that people cooking with it will be standing over the stove with the stuff pouring out of the burner.  But since no one seems to have actually done any measurements at homes already using shale gas, it's all scare tactics at this point.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4392
« Reply #15142 on: May 03, 2013, 02:19:53 PM »

The concern is that people cooking with it will be standing over the stove with the stuff pouring out of the burner.  But since no one seems to have actually done any measurements at homes already using shale gas, it's all scare tactics at this point.

Actually, until someone does actual measurements, it is always best to assume the worst.  The companies providing the stuff don't want people to know (or care) because all the company cares about is the money they'll make.  They care not the slightest bit about possible health problems of those who buy their stuff, as long as they do buy it and the company makes a profit.

In cases like these, 'scare tactics' (intense information) - to get people to even think about it - are sometimes the only way to get people to wake up to the idea that there may be severe health consequences.  Most people are too ignorant to consider the possibility of things like that, believing somehow that large corporations 'couldn't do' things that would endanger them.

Better the 'scare tactics' getting people to at least think about it and demand testing before it gets delivered to them, than, in 40 years, to find that all those in the area have leukemia and cancers of all sorts.  Once a pipeline is up and running, there's very little to get it to stop.  By then its too late.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #15143 on: May 03, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »

Better the 'scare tactics' getting people to at least think about it and demand testing before it gets delivered to them, than, in 40 years, to find that all those in the area have leukemia and cancers of all sorts.  Once a pipeline is up and running, there's very little to get it to stop.  By then its too late.

Actually what I'm thinking is if the groups against the pipeline would spend some money on testing instead of lame commercials, maybe they would have a better case.

But this might be a case where neither side really wants the tests done, if it's a real problem the gas companies don't want to know, if it isn't the people against it lose a talking point.  Since they are already saying it is a real problem, they wouldn't want to take the chance that testing would show otherwise.  And while the gas companies would love to have data that shows it isn't a problem, there is a chance it is so they don't want it tested either.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #15144 on: May 03, 2013, 06:03:32 PM »

Actually what I'm thinking is if the groups against the pipeline would spend some money on testing instead of lame commercials, maybe they would have a better case.

But this might be a case where neither side really wants the tests done, if it's a real problem the gas companies don't want to know, if it isn't the people against it lose a talking point.  Since they are already saying it is a real problem, they wouldn't want to take the chance that testing would show otherwise.  And while the gas companies would love to have data that shows it isn't a problem, there is a chance it is so they don't want it tested either.

Possibly.  However, if the gas company was so confident that it was safe they could pay for testing themselves.  For them to pay the costs would be a pittance of their operating costs (not to mention them being able to pass along the cost to customers).  If they aren't doing so with a little resistance, there is a reason... possibly they've already had it done and just don't want people to know.

To get representative testing, not to mention access, the people against it don't have the money to do that AND to advertise the results and generate political resistance to it, besides it likely being too late by that point to stop it.  The gas company has the money to impede the testing, and the money to suppress outside results.  They can push through a gag order if the people against it do manage to get it done, then dragging it out in court if they need to so that the pipeline is already done and active when results might see the light of day, at which point it would result in it being virtually impossible to stop.

Those responsible for many environmental catastrophes are still not held accountable for them after the fact with the way such laws are(n't) enforced.  Did you know Exxon recovered most of the fines and expenses for the Valdez spill from insurance?  So, if they got most of their money back, the net effect is that they weren't penalized for gross negligence which still affects the immediate area, as well as resulting in damage to the environment that will persist for many years into the future.  (And guess what?  Our government continues to give Exxon money.)

EDIT:  Things are ass-backward in this country for things like this: people have to prove something is dangerous to even have a hope of getting it stopped, while corporations don't have to do anything to prove something is safe before they can go ahead and subject the rest of us to it.  GMOs are a good example.  There has never been testing to prove they are safe before they were introduced into the environment (and now cannot be removed from it).  And even with concerns about them, our government still doesn't require products with GMOs be labeled as such (and currently agribusiness is lobbying to be able to use GMOs in products labeled 'organic').
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 07:03:03 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #15145 on: May 03, 2013, 07:12:32 PM »
Yes proven dangerous, it can be stopped even faster if someone would just die, that would move the process right along.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #15146 on: May 03, 2013, 11:37:01 PM »
To get representative testing, not to mention access, the people against it don't have the money to do that AND to advertise the results and generate political resistance to it, besides it likely being too late by that point to stop it.  The gas company has the money to impede the testing, and the money to suppress outside results.  They can push through a gag order if the people against it do manage to get it done, then dragging it out in court if they need to so that the pipeline is already done and active when results might see the light of day, at which point it would result in it being virtually impossible to stop.

It wouldn't take a whole lot of money, I'm sure they could find plenty of home owners that currently use that gas that would be willing to have samples of it taken.  They could probably even find some university labs that would do the testing for free if some people could get papers published on it.  There would be no way for the gas companies to stop that, they could dispute any results if it became a court case but they can't stop people from testing something they have purchased.  It would be no different than having your tap water tested.

Has me wondering where the gas at work comes from, might try testing some next week, shoot some into the mass spec and see if there is a peak at 222....

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #15147 on: May 04, 2013, 02:35:37 AM »

It wouldn't take a whole lot of money, I'm sure they could find plenty of home owners that currently use that gas that would be willing to have samples of it taken.  They could probably even find some university labs that would do the testing for free if some people could get papers published on it.  There would be no way for the gas companies to stop that, they could dispute any results if it became a court case but they can't stop people from testing something they have purchased.  It would be no different than having your tap water tested.

Has me wondering where the gas at work comes from, might try testing some next week, shoot some into the mass spec and see if there is a peak at 222....

You're right.  If it is the same gas already being used elsewhere, then it would be easy enough to test.  And you're also right that if that was the case the possibility for a published paper would be pretty enticing for university staff and/or students to keep costs down or non-existent.  I wasn't aware that the questionable gas was already being delivered to some homes more local to the source (it wasn't mentioned in the vid).  I thought that people would have to go to the source of the gas (i.e. where the company is doing the digging) in order to get to it.  At which point it would take a lot of money to force their way in.

Had a bad day and got rather agitated at the initial idea... to the point I neglected to originally agree with Variety of Cells original comments about the poor choice of title for the opposition ['Occupy the Pipeline']... of course, if they intend people to actually crawl into it in a fit of civil disobedience, that's one thing. :)  But as VoC said, I suspect that associating this reasonable movement with a less than stellar movement of the recent past isn't the way to gain respect or confidence.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #15148 on: May 04, 2013, 10:27:07 AM »
I'm so pissed I can barely  see stright..  I hate working with this asshat
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3593
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #15149 on: May 04, 2013, 10:29:40 AM »
I'm so pissed I can barely  see stright..  I hate working with this asshat
Asshats are some of the worst, especially when they're in a management position >:(