Author Topic: RRRRRAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!  (Read 1422278 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1414
Re: RRRRRAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!
« Reply #15165 on: May 06, 2013, 12:12:23 PM »

I never could stand Jack Black, too hyper.  Recently saw him in Bernie though and he was quite likable.  Never realized he could actually act.

Bernie was great. Really hyper and annoying comedians can be quite good when they are forced to tone it down. Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine. Robin Williams in some of his later stuff, like Louie.

While I don't like the Hang over and his stand up isn't my favorite, I do like Zach Galafanakis. His bits are great on Tim and Eric, but you have to like Tim and Eric. It's an occasional guilty pleasure of mine.

My fiancé worked with Zach on Bored to Death. He's a little weird in person too. Kind of keeps to himself. Doesn't seem like he cares or really wants to be famous.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:16:43 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2984
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #15166 on: May 06, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »
There are also those who attest that without Andy Dick, we might still have a Chris Farley...

And? I thought this was about comedians.
Just making the point that if there is a legitimate reason to hate a comedian, it should probably be more rooted in things like that than anything they might have said or done on stage. Personally, I don't think anyone could be un-funny enough as to provoke actual hatred.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #15167 on: May 06, 2013, 01:09:36 PM »
There are also those who attest that without Andy Dick, we might still have a Chris Farley...

You're thinking Phil Hartman. Andy Dick is the person who got Hartman's wife back on drugs (cocaine, I think) that eventually led to the freakout that ended in his murder at her hands (while the kids were in the house, no less). So, yeah, I don't give a shit how clean Dick is now, he's still an irredeemable asshole in my book.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #15168 on: May 06, 2013, 01:12:57 PM »
No Dick gets implicated in the death of both, essentially for doing the same thing; reintroducing somebody who was clean and sober to partying.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #15169 on: May 06, 2013, 01:35:25 PM »
Wow, didn't know that he had a hand in Farley's downfall. Now I'm even more pissed at him.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #15170 on: May 06, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »
Honestly, I think the suggestion is overblown in either case. Hartman's missus was unhinged and nobody, unless they te them down, can force another person to do recreational narcotics if they really don't want to.

jasimon1

« Reply #15171 on: May 06, 2013, 01:45:26 PM »
Honestly, I think the suggestion is overblown in either case. Hartman's missus was unhinged and nobody, unless they te them down, can force another person to do recreational narcotics if they really don't want to.

But they can make it readily available. I don't smoke unless I'm in the company of smokers and someone offers one to me. Yes, I want to a lot of the time but I can resist if it's not being shoved in my face. I assume that's how it is for many people with addictions, especially those in 'recovery'.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #15172 on: May 06, 2013, 01:47:22 PM »
Regardless the culpability in both cases lies with the murderess and the person who overdosed.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #15173 on: May 06, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »

I'd say that when Dick told Jon Lovitz that he'd put the "Phil Hartman hex" on him and that he'd be the next to die, whether he was explicitly responsible for Hartman's death or not, he shows just how much of an asshat he is. To which Lovitz then slammed his face into the bar repeatedly in response.

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/item_886iHMTII31Ql9qhYllJHN

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #15174 on: May 06, 2013, 01:50:42 PM »
Yes, undoubtedly he's a tool.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #15175 on: May 06, 2013, 03:40:51 PM »

I'd say that when Dick told Jon Lovitz that he'd put the "Phil Hartman hex" on him and that he'd be the next to die, whether he was explicitly responsible for Hartman's death or not, he shows just how much of an asshat he is. To which Lovitz then slammed his face into the bar repeatedly in response.

Never heard this.  I changed my mind.  He is indeed very unlikable.

But also, maybe he was on drugs when he said it.  Drugs are like that.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #15176 on: May 06, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »

Never heard this.  I changed my mind.  He is indeed very unlikable.

But also, maybe he was on drugs when he said it.  Drugs are like that.

I've also heard that cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #15177 on: May 06, 2013, 06:37:53 PM »
Andy Dick actually didn't do much to Newsradio the show, since he stayed in character and the rest of the cast could still put on a good show.  He did kinda ruin a few of the commentary tracks though.  It's been a while, but I just remember him basically trying to hijack the entire commentary and whine about how they weren't paying attention to his scenes.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5540
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #15178 on: May 07, 2013, 10:07:21 AM »

I love this story because it makes Jon Lovitz (who I already loved anyway) into kind of a badass. Never thought that would be possible.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #15179 on: May 07, 2013, 10:51:26 AM »

I love this story because it makes Jon Lovitz (who I already loved anyway) into kind of a badass. Never thought that would be possible.

I know. When I first heard about it a couple of years ago, I was very surprised. And delighted.